1. Our Privacy Policy and User Agreement have changed. By using or registering on any portion of this site, you agree to our updated User Agreement and Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement.
    Dismiss Notice

Toronto Rock 2018 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Toronto Rock Forum' started by AmericanRockFan, Nov 27, 2017.

1. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

"We've got a six-pack of titles and we're thirsty for more."

RockStar likes this.
  2. AmericanRockFan

Is anyone making the trip to Buffalo for the game on April 21? I'll be there with the Rock Rulz clan.

3. RockyMaivia

RockyMaivia Active Member

NO.

AND I AM THIRSTY FOR A SIX-PACK.

4. 9SQUIRE3

9SQUIRE3 Active Member

I have not heard any news this week about Schreiber :(

5. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

He’s playing tonight

6. 9SQUIRE3

9SQUIRE3 Active Member

7. RES74

RES74 Guest

And all this time I thought the Rock's troubles were because of the Schreiber injury. Now he comes back and the rest of the team seems to let up, especially after getting a 5 goal lead - the second blown 5 goal lead of the season. They also gave up 2 short handed goals, they seem to give up at least one sh goal per game, making me wonder if they've allowed more sh goals than scoring pp goals on the season. Bottom line is, the team mailed it in after going up 8-3 in the most important game of the season, a game they had to win in order to make the playoffs. That speaks volumes about their character and commitment to winning. Best thing would be to blow this whole sorry mess up and start from scratch...except they don't have any first round draft picks for a few years.

8. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Active Member

I don't blame the team. Rochester started to key in on Schreiber; coaching staff didn't make adjustments. The team needs guidance. It isn't getting it.

9. RES74

RES74 Guest

Still, two breakaways to allow the Knighthawks to to it, and then an undisciplined penalty with 4 minutes to go leading to the insurance goal that sealed our fate. That's the players' responsibility, not the coaches.

10. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Active Member

Those are significant mistakes but one game doesn't address the trends season to season.
    • The Rock have scored in the single digits in 6/16 games this season: that's almost half their games.
    • They've scored fewer than 5 goals in a half 9/16 times this season, meaning more than half their games have had scoring droughts. This includes games where Schrieber was in the line up so his absence can't be blamed for all of these slumps.
    • Against Colorado, the O scored fewer points than Nick Rose. In fact, the O didn't score a single point.
    • Last season, the Rock scored 5 or fewer goals in a half 12/18 games and in the single digits 3/18 times in the regular season. The number rises to 5 or fewer goals in a half 13/19 games and in the single digits 4/19 games if you count the playoffs.
    • Combining last season with this season (including playoffs), the Rock scored 5 or fewer goals per half in 22/35 games and in the single digits 10/35.
    • The team roster has changed in that time. The one constant are the head and offensive coaches.
    When you look at the broader picture, the offence has fizzled for at least 3o minutes a game around 63% of games played and for entire games around 29% of the time.

One game can be blamed on players. Trends fall on the shoulders of leaders.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    RockStar likes this.
  11. RES74

RES74 Guest

So maybe they should fire Sawyer and go after a coach with some pedigree like Cordingly. Oh wait, maybe not...

RockStar likes this.
  12. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

Point of order - two attackers got assists on one of Rogers' goals, which, I believe, left Rose still tied with or leading all attackers in scoring ;)

13. RockStar

I love playing the what-if game.

Keenan is the most interesting one for me - got the axe quickly after a disappointing 2004 start. What if he actually got the chance to try to make the tweaks that team needed? Does that 2005 title still happen, or does it take an extra year or two to get another shot?

Then, what if they never sacked Terry Sanderson after 2006, and let him have a shot at the makeover that happened......no Clark, no Kloepfer......

Then, what if Cordingley got one or two more cracks at it - does the 2015 title shot happen? Does it end up being successful?

Hollywood42 likes this.
  14. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

Would Dawick get out of the way like Urban does and let Keenan do his job? I get the sense that Urban lets Keenan do his thing and Urban signs the checks.

Hollywood42 likes this.
  15. RockStar

maybe, Chuckster....I got the feeling that Dawick was out of the way when Terry was around.

16. AmericanRockFan

What time is the playoff game this weekend?

Oh, wait.....

RockStar likes this.