Toronto Rock 2018 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Toronto Rock Forum' started by AmericanRockFan, Nov 27, 2017.

1. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Maybe they will on Party Like It's 1999 Night.

2. AmericanRockFan

3. 9SQUIRE3

9SQUIRE3 Active Member

I am missing that game, would be disappointed to miss that happen, but it definitely should be played!

4. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

they need to bring back Brian Vollmer to another game.......

but, bring him back with Helix for a pre-game mini set, an encore at halftime, and then a reprise of Rock You for the victory lap

Gimme an R!

5. AmericanRockFan

I have to say that the crowd of 8,624 surprised me. I say that just because when I was watching the game on tv, the lower bowl looked pretty solid (except in some of the pricier areas), so I really thought I'd hear that the crowd was larger than that.

The good news is that it was probably a legit attendance number and not some inflated garbage :p

6. AmericanRockFan

So, Steph Leblanc departs Toronto as:
    • 11th all-time in games played (132)
    • 3rd all-time in goals (249)
    • 4th all-time in assists (352)
    • 4th all-time in points (601)
    • 7th all-time in loose balls (648)

7. RockStar

#BurlingtonNotOrangeville

McArdle is next on the depth chart, so, the lefties that helped score 7 second half goals over two games is now:

Jones, Reinholdt, McArdle.

even if Evans is coming back soon, this does not feel like a championship contending lefty corps.

8. AmericanRockFan

Truthfully though, they might need someone like Reinholdt or McArdle more than they need a guy like Leblanc. This offense might be missing the Aaron Wilson/Matt Shearer-esque role player because they already have enough stars/field generals out on the floor.

I'm optimistic about this move for that reason. It wouldn't shock me to see Leblanc flourish in New England and leave the Facebook fans saying things like "should of kept Leblanc!!!" but I really think it was time for Leblanc to get a change of scenery. In my opinion, his best days were behind him in Toronto.

I'm under the impression that Burns is going to add some needed speed on the transition/defense front, so hopefully he can replace the void left behind by Gamble.

9. RockStar

if the hope is double digit scoring, they could certainly use a few more transition chances per game.

10. AmericanRockFan

Milestones to look out for on Saturday night:
    • Brett Hickey (119) and Rob Hellyer (117) jockey for 8th and 9th place on the all-time goals list. They trail Garrett Billings (158) for 7th place.
    • Rob Hellyer is 4 assists away from 200 in a Rock uniform. He'd become the 7th player to record 200 assists for the Rock.
    • Brett Hickey and Sandy Chapman (76) are tied for 14th in assists. They're both 3 assists away from tying Kim Squire and Dan Stroup for 12th, who have 79 apiece.
    • Brett Hickey is 7 points away from 200 in a Rock uniform. He'd become the 10th player to record 200 points for the Rock.
    • Tom Schreiber is 1 point away from 100 in a Rock uniform. He can become the 19th player in Rock history to record 100 points for the Rock.
    • Sandy Chapman (751) is 8 loose balls away from tying Rob Marshall (759) for 4th in career loose balls.
    • Brodie Merrill (530) is 16 loose balls away from tying Pat Coyle (546) for 12th in career loose balls.
    • Damon Edwards (153) is 1 penalty away from passing Glenn Clark (154) for 8th all-time in career penalty minutes.
    • Sandy Chapman (131) is 4 PIM away from tying Cam Woods (135) for 12th all-time in career penalty minutes.
    Further useless stats and facts:
    • With Steph Leblanc's departure from Toronto, Brett Hickey is now the active leader in career goals by a Rock player, and Rob Hellyer is now the active leader in career assists and career points.

11. RockStar

Going to take a cue from Vin, and, whenever I notice media, preserve it here for the ages.

http://torontosun.com/sports/lacrosse/nll/rock-looking-for-revenge-against-bandits

12. AmericanRockFan

Is Sandy Chapman a healthy scratch?

Thus far, this looks like the Rock team (at least the offense) we should have seen on opening night in Buffalo.

13. AmericanRockFan

I retract my Chapman question, as I see he's been put on IR.

In other news, this offense belongs to Adam Jones now as far as I'm concerned.

14. AmericanRockFan

This might've been exactly the game that the Rock needed.

15. RockStar

Much better. Kinda like Dan Craig joining the group. Lefty corps of Jones, Reinholdt, Craig, and McArdle......one gunner, and, lots of sturdy hustle.

16. AmericanRockFan

I really liked what I saw from Dan Craig last night. I thought Reid Reinholdt had a rough game, but I'm still on his bandwagon (side note: I thought about making a sock puppet account RReinholdt97 to mimic and be this decade's version of AGuidon14 or whoever that kid was on here, where Reinholdt could do no wrong in my eyes).

It was only one game, and I don't think Leblanc was the problem necessarily (he is a good player, I just don't think he was a good fit in Toronto anymore with the acquisition of Jones and re-acquisition of Hellyer), but I do think we're only going to see positives from his departure from Toronto. I don't really see anyone (anyone knowledgeable, anyway) being able to truthfully say "the Rock really miss Leblanc, it's obvious" at any point this season.

17. RockStar

http://torontosun.com/sports/lacrosse/nll/toronto-rock/newcomer-adam-jones-fits-right-in-with-rock

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  18. AmericanRockFan

500 people were at the home opener only cause they're friends with Jones? Sigh.

19. RockStar

Owen Sound is a healthy 2.75h from downtown Toronto (if there is no snow).......maybe it takes a homecoming of a local lacrosse legend to mobilize them in big numbers for a Rock game.

20. AmericanRockFan

Goes without saying, the Rock really need to build on last week's win with another great win tonight. If they win rather convincingly tonight, I think the ship will have been righted.

But if they lose and drop to 1-3.....