Toronto Rock 2018 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Toronto Rock Forum' started by AmericanRockFan, Nov 27, 2017.

1. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

OH. NO. YOU. DIDN'T.

On a serious note though, it's hard to argue against a guy who's 2 time MLL MVP and the reigning NLL ROY as being not the best overall (indoor and outdoor) player in the world. It makes me wonder how those you mentioned would fare in the MLL.

2. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

we will see at the FIL.

3. AmericanRockFan

Belgrave to the IR, Chapman on the active roster for tonight's game. Not to take anything from Chapman's performance this year, but I hope Belgrave is legit injured and this isn't some paper transaction just because I'd hate to think they're tinkering with something that's working well over the last two games.

4. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

it still seems to work. Goals from transition, goals from 5v5, solid D and good enough tending

5. AmericanRockFan

Somehow in the midst of my all-time stats keeping, I missed that Rob Hellyer passed Aaron Wilson for 8th on the all-time points list on Friday night.

Anyhow, Friday night's win was pretty encouraging with the way they were able to handle the Knighthawks so decisively. Through 5 games, really the only game the Rock actually played poorly in was the game against Saskatchewan, which isn't saying much because Saskatchewan is making the rest of the league look bad right now.

If the Rock can get by New England on the 27th, and do so in pretty convincing fashion, then I think they'll have set themselves up as the team to beat in the East unless Georgia returns to championship form soon.

6. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

http://torontosun.com/sports/lacrosse/nll/rock-hammers-knightkawks

Attached Files:

7. I wouldn't go so far as to say he couldn't hold the jock strap of these guys, but I would agree he isn't quiet on the level of those listed....YET. I feel like he has the right tools to be at that level in the coming years, but he is still young and still needs time to continue developing to the pro(indoor) game.

I wouldn't say the best overall (indoor and outdoor) player in the world quiet yet, I still feel like in his sophomore year we are talking him up quiet a bit, yes he's an excellent outdoor player (I would argue top 10 in todays game 100%) and yes he's becoming a very good indoor player and I'm ecstatic he's on our team but he needs to show consistency over a few years before I'm willing to give him the crown, or two crowns for that matter.

8. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

best indoor/outdoor players

Schreiber
    Ward
    White
    Merrill
    Hall
    Lyle Thompson
    Crowley
    Jordan MacIntosh
    Kevin Buchanan
    ... if they could play in both in leagues without crossover limitations
    Shawn Evans
    Tucker Durkin
    Mike Law
    Robert Church
    Ben MacIntosh
    Mark Matthews
    Kyle Rubisch
    Kevin Rice
    Scott Ratcliffe - I cannot understand why Team USA did not include him. Canada has no one to match up against him. If Canada wins at the FIL, a large part of the reason will be not having Ratcliffe
    Marcus Holman
    Tekota Nanticoke - yeah that good already

9. AmericanRockFan

So, is anyone else watching UFC 220 this weekend since there's no Rock game to watch this weekend?

10. you know it! (been following MMA for a long time and im a big fan)

sadly since I moved (now 3.5 from Toronto) I no longer have seasons for the rock and I no longer feel the need to see every single rock game. I still do my best to get together with a couple buddies and watch the games on NLL TV but its not the same... I just feel stupid wearing the goal light helmet in my living room

RockStar likes this.
  11. AmericanRockFan

Jeez where did you move to?? Hopefully your fandom doesn't totally dissipate at some point.

I've been an MMA fan since fall 2008 or so, around the time that Brock Lesnar fought Randy Couture for the heavyweight title. The first event I saw live on tv was EliteXC: Heat, when Seth Petruzelli knocked out Kimbo Slice :oops:

12. I moved from the Kitchener area (I could get to a rock game in about 1hr flat maybe 1hr 20 with bad Friday traffic if I timed it right)
    to Chatham Area, we drove to Toronto for a Jays game this year. took like 3 hrs and 1) it wasn't a Friday/Saturday night 2) wasn't winter so im just speculating on the extra 30-45mins of driving from those two factors

ive been a fan since the first Ultimate Fighter reality show, growing up my parents had SpikeTV (i was raised on the $hit...UFC, MANswer, etc...) and I watched it from like episode 2 or 3 till the finale and was hooked. My mom hates it but my dad (secretly) enjoys it and would stay up late watching it with me, he did Judo growing up so I guess he kinda relates to it a bit more then her. (probably the reason he's shown interest in my BJJ training where as she doesn't want to hear about it.)

i grew up around lacrosse, playing lacrosse and officiating lacrosse (I still ref today) so i doubt it will ever dissipate fully, living farther away just makes it tougher to be a full time Rock maniac.

speaking of being a rock maniac, anyone want to buy a Stephan Leblanc Jersey (signed) haha just kidding

13. AmericanRockFan

I survived being a Rock fan in Connecticut for 2-3 years, and that was before the Black Wolves showed up ;)

I wish I had watched the original season of The Ultimate Fighter as it happened in 2005, but since I didn't become a fan until 2008 it wasn't until Fight Pass came around that I watched some of those old shows. In summer 2015 I decided to watch as many old UFC and Pride events as I could to "catch up" to where I started watching in 2008. It took me two years, but I finally caught up... and am in the middle of re-watching 2010 at the moment :eek:

The heavyweight title fight on Saturday is probably the best one they've had since the Cain/JDS trilogy, it's just too bad that Miocic doesn't seem to sell PPVs but I guess that's what happens when you're a nice guy who doesn't talk trash. Personally, I'm kinda hoping Ngannou wins. He seems to have potential to be the Mike Tyson of MMA, sans the other out of action problems.

And, my mom hated MMA when I first started watching it but I think she's come around to it finally. My dad has some interest but he's more into other sports.

Lost in the shuffle this weekend is that Bellator 192 is a pretty good card too.

14. UFC223:
    I like Stipe, he's well spoken, well rounded and a great guy, Firefighter at 2 Stations, could have went pro in Baseball. He's like the blue collar fighters of old. He's also a guy who is constantly underrated and doesn't get the credit he deserves; he's knocked out Mark Hunt (CRAZY!) Arlovski, Werdum (was champ), Overeem (one of the most decorated strikers to ever fight in the ufc) AND JDS.....

Ngannou; crazy powerful (truth is everyone in the heavyweight division hits hard hes just another animal). He's already talking about his "next fight"(wants Brock Lesnar) and usually the guys talking about next fight don't win the present fight, he says this will be his easiest fight yet. i have a feeling he underestimates Stipe.

Belator 192: Watch out for Douglas Lima vs. Rory McDonald....gonna be a great fight

Im hoping and really think Stipe has the tools to win (but my gut is nervous about a Flash KO from ngannou).
    Rory is a warrior (see Rory vs Lawler....fight of the year for sure) but i think Lima (who is HUGE) takes it

(side note: Ngannou... doesnt pass the smell test, im thinking hes on those Mexican supplements)

15. AmericanRockFan

You mean UFC 220 ;) UFC 223 is the one in April when Khabib Nurmagomedov and Tony Ferguson are fighting.

I like Stipe, it's just that Ngannou is a freak of nature and really could be a once in a lifetime athlete if he meets his potential. I'm a little worried about his drug testing ability too, although considering the UFC testing is probably the toughest of any major sports league at the moment, I'm not worried about it that much. (Side note, it bugs me when people complain about guys testing positive in the UFC "all the time." Yeah, cause they have the toughest drug testing in sports. Do people realize how many football players would be banned if the NFL had USADA drug testing??)

I think MacDonald beats Lima more often than not, but I do have a sneaky suspicion that Lima wins on Saturday. Having said that, I'd still put money on Rory if I had to make a wager just since I think he would win a best of seven series between the two.

And.... I think Rampage Jackson beats Chael Sonnen.

16. you're right, I had 223 on the mind cause im patiently waiting for tickets to go on sale, me and the boys are planning a roadie to NY for that one.... "NO SLEEP TILL BROOKLYN"

17. AmericanRockFan

Make sure you have a UFC Newsletter presale code, that'll help ensure you get tickets. At least the cheaper ones. I always prefer sitting in the first few rows of the upper deck at the UFC events, that way you're situated above the cage and above the cameramen.

18. my buddies and I went to Montreal for 158 when GSP fought Diaz. it was great. we were mid way up the lower bowl off center near the corner but it was good (aside from the hanging wires we had to look around)

19. AmericanRockFan

Alright, kids. Here's the list of milestones to look out for on Saturday night at the Air Canada Centre:
    • Brett Hickey and Rob Hellyer continue to jockey for 8th all-time in goals as they are tied at 124 apiece
    • Tom Schreiber is 4 assists behind Brett Hickey for 12th all-time. Schreiber has 79, Hickey has 83. Schreiber is currently tied with Squire and Stroup for 13th all-time.
    • Sandy Chapman is 8 loose balls away from tying Rob Marshall for 4th all-time. Chapman has 751, Marshall had 759.
    • Brodie Merrill needs 1 loose ball to pass Pat Coyle for 12th all-time. They're currently tied at 546 apiece. Merrill needs 21 to tie Steve Toll for 11th all-time.
    • Damon Edwards is 1 penalty away from passing Blaine Manning for 7th all-time in career PIM. Edwards has 155, Manning had 156.
    • Sandy Chapman is 4 PIM behind Cam Woods for 12th all-time on the PIM list. Chapman has 131, Woods had 135. Merrill is 1 PIM behind Chapman on the list with 130.
    • With his next win, Matt Sawyer passes Glenn Clark for sole possession of 5th all-time in coaching wins.
    • Will this be the night that Tom Schreiber finally gets his first penalty? Or will he make it 24 straight games without a penalty? STAY TUNED!