1. Our Privacy Policy and User Agreement have changed. By using or registering on any portion of this site, you agree to our updated User Agreement and Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement.
    Dismiss Notice

Toronto Rock 2018 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Toronto Rock Forum' started by AmericanRockFan, Nov 27, 2017.

1. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Active Member

I just don't see the extra gear the Rock will need in spring when everyone's gunning for the top.

I do agree the Rock can make the final as soon as this season and they have a good shot at the division title. I hope I'm wrong about their chances in that final, should they make it that far -- I'd much rather see the optimists have their day. The players will decide.

2. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

It's still anyone's division in the East. Just when you think Rochester is dropping out of the race, they scratch Dan Dawson and smack the Rush. And just when you think Buffalo is skidding, they run off 3 straight wins.

It may come down to the teams that heat up into the stretch run in April. Don't forget that last year, 3 9-9 teams and 1 8-10 team made it in to the playoffs.

3. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

http://torontosun.com/sports/lacrosse/rock-looks-to-find-consistency-against-swarm

4. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Milestones to look out for this weekend:
    • Nick Rose will pass Jeff Gilbert for 12th all-time in games played. They're both currently tied at 100.
    • With 4 assists, Brett Hickey would tie Chris Driscoll for 12th all-time in assists. Driscoll had 88, Hickey has 84.
    • Sandy Chapman is 2 loose balls away from tying Rob Marshall for 4th all-time. Marshall had 759, Chapman has 757.
    • Adam Jones is already 34th all-time in points. If he explodes and has a 10 point night, he would be in 29th place.

What a weak set of "milestones" this week....

5. RockStar

Something to hope for.

Someone has to get hot at some point. Have to be better than .500 against divisional opponents the rest of the way to have any chance at playoffs.

6. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Active Member

Part of me hopes the Rock miss the playoffs for two reasons. One, I'm almost sure the O will disappear -- I've zero desire to watch another scoring drought eliminate them. Two, it might be an incentive to shake up team leadership.

On the other hand, this remains a talented squad and with parity in the league there's still a chance of a deep playoff run. And if the Rock do manage to miss the playoffs, my guess is that Manning gets a pass because Schrieber was injured and because Hickey's around to get scapegoated. Why wish an early exit on the Rock if there's no guarantee the loss would force a change in leadership?

7. AmericanRockFan

"Milestones" to look for on Friday night:
    • Sandy Chapman is 1 assist from tying Dan Stroup and Kim Squire for 14th all-time. Chapman has 78, Stroup and Squire had 79 apiece.
    • Brodie Merrill is 13 loose balls from tying Kasey Beirnes and Patrick Merrill for 10th, and is 17 away from being the 9th player to record 600 for the Rock.
    • Brodie Merill is 3 PIM behind Cam Woods for 12th all-time. Woods had 135, Merrill has 132. Chapman currently sits 14th all-time with 131.

Food for thought:
    • Has Sandy Chapman, who's 3rd all-time in games played behind Doyle and Watson, and 4th all-time in loose balls, established himself as one of the greats in franchise history?
    • Was Sunday the first time ever that a premier Rock scorer (in this case, Adam Jones) was held completely off the scoresheet for an entire 60+ minutes?

8. AmericanRockFan

My goodness, this "crowd" in New England for the game tonight.....

Seriously, I don't think this would even fill Mattamy.

9. AmericanRockFan

"Please stand for the playing of our Canadian and...uh... U.S. national anthem."

Uh oh, the singer said "all thy sons command" :eek:

WHAT IN THE **** DID THIS WOMAN DO TO THE CANADIAN ANTHEM?! SHE JUST MADE UP WORDS!

10. AmericanRockFan

Say what you will about the Rochester feed, New England's feed is the worst in the league.

RockStar likes this.
  11. RockStar

Their cameraman is league worst, and, I am not too fond of the announcers either......

12. AmericanRockFan

Late arriving crowd much?

13. AmericanRockFan

To be honest I'm not really disturbed by the camera work that much. These announcers, at least the play-by-play guy, aren't that good and the picture quality is standard def to the max.

14. AmericanRockFan

Reid Reinholdt is the best player on this team and if you don't like it TOUGH SH1T!

RockStar likes this.
  15. RockStar

It's not so much the cameramen, but, the director........fuctkstick keeps switching the camera angle to any of two or three sub-obtimal ones that are reversed, and, usually zoomed in too tight to even tell what is really going on. Fuctking annoying to have the ball carrier change direction on the screen when he never actually changed direction, and, you cannot even see what he is running into, or who he could pass to.

The centre floor cameraman also has to learn to just zoom out a touch, and focus on the centre of the attack zone......following the ball around is just dumb - adds jitter without any improvement in viewer experience.

Other than that, the announcers are morons and the stadium rock sucks. I have them turned down, and am just blasting an old school rock playlist on the other computer :D

16. AmericanRockFan

What a feeble attempt by the PA announcer to lead a "Let's Go Black Wolves" chant....

17. RockStar

But, hey, 7 goals so far, and I think only one of them was a D/T rush..... Lefty attack with 5 of the 7, Jones and McArdle maybe getting off the Schneid. Attackers getting to the net.

Many positives!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  18. AmericanRockFan

Dan "The Carpet Muncher" Lintner.

RockStar likes this.
  19. RockStar

Do these announcers even have a clue what they are watching?

I just watched a shot, rebound, scoop, shot, goal.

They had no clue who had the ball and what was about to happen!

20. RockStar

First time since the four game streak of serious overachievement that they have had 10 goals this early.

It likely won't be enough if they have a typical last 20 minutes, but, it's been kind of nice to watch. Lefties really clicking, guys getting to the net, guys recovering rebounds for second chances.....