Toronto Rock 2019 Thread

Discussion in 'Toronto Rock Forum' started by AmericanRockFan, Aug 29, 2018.

1. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Mr Boo likes this.
  2. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

"Teeter", i think.....not to be confused with Dan "Teater" Teat.

Mr Boo likes this.
  3. RockStar

Rockhead lost interest several years ago after moving to the distant burbs.

The couple with the baby, (Megan?) was a fixture at Brampton Excelsiors and Mississauga Ice Dogs games when I lived on that end of the inner burbs. Met them on the bus to Albany, believe the young'un was in utero then, and a fixture at sporting events since birth soon after.

4. AmericanRockFan

That Barker couple with the baby has been a fixture at practically every Rock game I've gone to in Buffalo and Rochester over the last several years as well.

Also, I think Jesse Gamble would beat Steve Toll in a foot race if the two were able to race against one another during their primes.

5. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Well-Known Member

Yes! That does sound familiar. Thanks RockStar!

6. RockStar

good trip down memory lane with that blog post. The days between 2000-2001 (my first as a full time fan) and 2005 were a special time for the team and myself.

Favourite memories for me in no particular order:

2001 - great comeback in Buffalo looks like it will come up short until Sweet shanked an empty net look and the Rock tied with just about no time on the clock to set up a double OT win. First road trip and a special one.

2002 Albany bus trip.

2003 first road win in Rochester, and it was a special one....we brought the SARS, we took the cup! Best postgame pic ever had some of our guys putting the cup in bed with a passed out Knabber:D

2003 summerball, sitting with Bart and Comeau to watch a Minto final game and listening to them discuss the game, and what they thought about some of the prospects on an unbelievable St Catharine's team.

didn't match any of these memories until the 2010 home playoff game against Buffalo......terrible first half forced me to listen to rude and annoying catcalls from a Buffa-loser sitting behind me. awesome second half comeback silenced her, my own rude and annoying catcalls reduced her to tears :p

7. RockStar

Missing from the early days:

off ball x checking,

slightly smaller goals,

legalized murder in the defensive zone with the meanest, dirtiest, hardest hitting batch of thugs to ever patrol an NLL floor.

Friday night at the fights, and 18 man rosters to allow room for the pugilism experts.

refs that kept their whistles a full forearm's length up their kiesters and let the men play.

Epic knuckle-dragging games against the Early Coach Kilgour edition of the Bandits.

it became far less fun during the 2006-2009 era. 2010-2011 and 2015 was a bit of magic, but, the game was not as tough and I was nowhere nearly as excitable. Every other year was a modest to major disappointment.

here is to a brighter future.

8. AmericanRockFan

I remember before games were televised (or streamed, or whatever you wanna say) in 2010, Rock game days in Rochester and Buffalo were such a big deal to me because they were literally my only chances to see the Rock play at all and to see what everyone on here was talking about. I don't wanna get stuck in comparison mode, but I miss the days of going to Rock games in Buffalo between 2001 - 2005.

Having said that though, I enjoy that I've been able to attend more home games in Toronto over the last few years now.

I almost forgot how bad that 2010 playoff game against Buffalo was potentially going to be.
    http://nll_stats.stats.pointstreak.com/gamesheet_full.html?gameid=2577443

I remember that they made a comeback, but I wasn't able to watch the game because I was at a wedding reception, so I kept checking my BlackBerry for updates every 15 minutes or so. I remember being pleasantly stunned that they pulled off the comeback but forgot they were down 6-0 20 minutes into the game. Then the Bandits almost gave them a receipt the next year in 2011 in Buffalo when the Rock almost blew a 5-0 lead, but were able to hold on.

9. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

ladoceur, coyle and bullen - toronto's big 3

10. RockStar

Even Clark, plus some of the other shorter-term guys from the early years (Langdale, Gelsvik) were sturdy guys that hit hard.

was different then - net was smaller, and, hitting rules were looser. Didn't need as much athleticism, or as good a set of hands to be an effective D man.....recall that you didn't even have to pick up the ball, you could kick it or sweep it to Watson in the crease for a protected clear pass.

11. AmericanRockFan

Whatcha got? ROCK! Whatcha gonna do? ROCK YOU!

9SQUIRE3 likes this.
  12. 9SQUIRE3

9SQUIRE3 Active Member

Anyone know what Schreiber's status is for this season?

13. RockStar

I read that Schreiber was going under the knife this fall.

Would guess that he's missing camp, and first several games anyway.....and then he comes back in pre-season shape to face teams that are in playoff hunting shape.

Might be a really lean year offensively..... Powless, Craig, Jones, Reinholdt......Powless is better than the previous alternates, but, I don't see a huge improvement over last year....its like changing your 2 or 3 lefty for a slightly better 2 or 3 lefty, but, it's still kinda not good enough to be the 2 or 3 lefty on a championship contender, so......

On the other side, I love Hellyer and Lintner, but, they are both three apples tall, and, without Beirnes or Hickey to create a bit of space at the crease or shooting lanes, they are going to be in tough to find room for good chances, so, they'll settle for dogshit from 25' plus against a squared up goalie that can see the shot the whole way.

Over/under at 8.8 GF per game?

Here's hoping that they try to improve on that with high octane transition. They'll still lose against the good teams, but, at least they will be exciting watchable losses.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  14. 9SQUIRE3

9SQUIRE3 Active Member

I saw he had surgery, but was not sure what for or how long he would be recovering for. Surprised no word so far

15. AmericanRockFan

I'm not sure why, but I feel like I read somewhere he's out until at least February? I might being getting the diagnosis mixed up with someone else though. Regardless, hopefully the current crop can hold down the fort until he returns, but I agree with RockStar, this could be a lean year offensively.