Toronto Rock 2019 Thread

Discussion in 'Toronto Rock Forum' started by AmericanRockFan, Aug 29, 2018.

1. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

Shipload of Six Nations fans there, only one Native son to cheer for on Toronto.....Swarm fans by default, maybe.

2. RockStar

That would be nuts. Might be talked into Hellyer, or Harris, but, no way do they get a 2020 1st rounder with either player.

3. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

Berg is 3 years in to his pro career and he has 2 35+ goal seasons. Nothing but upside there. Maybe you get him for Helleyer and a 1st but they may need to sweeten the pot.....Berg is a BC guy so that could be an issue.

4. wacklax

wacklax Active Member

You will not get Berg for less than 3 firsts.

5. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Active Member

Toronto needs cutters and size on O. They simply don't have tradeable assets to land that this season. When I said I wish Berg was around I knew he wouldn't be anytime soon.

I'd actually wait and sign him as a UFA. He's in the GTA over summer, knows half the team from summer ball and may be sick of Calgary. Not sure when he's eligible but it's worth a bad season or two to snag him later. He must be on the Rock's radar already. And the Rock might be on his.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    RockStar likes this.
  6. RockStar

Dont take my post to mean Berg is arguably not worth Harris and Hellyer.....I just see Harris and a (hopefully healthy) Hellyer as too much to give up together, right now.

Part of that is imagining what Berg might do alongside Schreiber and Hellyer (or sometimes Lintner) in a good year

7. unspoken

unspoken Member

As long as the terms of the CBA don't change in the meantime, he's not UFA eligible until after the 2023 season.

8. CrocodileLax

Too bad. He'll probably still have plenty to offer then but in the meantime they'd have to blow the team apart or sacrifice numerous draft picks to get him. For now, Berg ain't worth the hassle (though he's an amazing player). I'll bet there's another forward who's willing to crash the net. It's not Berg they need specifically, moreso someone to bring physicality to a 5 v 5 game.

9. RockStar

Georgia Swarm spoil Rock's home opener
    Richard Mauntah, Toronto Sun

Published:December 28, 2018

Just after the clock went under the one-minute mark, the Georgia Swarm were awarded a penalty shot. Lyle Thompson, a former NLL most-valuable player, trotted in and took a high shot.

But it was met by the shoulder of Toronto Rock goaltender Nick Rose.

Just over 30 seconds later, Thompson got his revenge, fighting past two defenders and scoring with a shot from 12 feet out, his fourth of the game, to give the Swarm a 12-11 win in the Rock’s home opener at Scotiabank Arena on Friday.

Despite the success of the Swarm, who are seeking their third consecutive National Lacrosse League East Division title, games between Toronto and Georgia usually end up like the one witnessed by a good opening-night crowd of 10,123. The teams played equally well offensively and defensively with plenty of transition opportunities to go around.

Rob Hellyer enjoyed one of his best nights as a member of the Rock, scoring five goals and adding five assists. But he was in no mood to celebrate.

“It’s a team game,” he said. “It’s nice to have some individual stats, but at the end of the day, the wins are the most important thing.”

“We deserved better out of that one but unfortunately that’s how the game goes.”

The Rock opened the game much better than it did against the Buffalo Bandits a week ago with early goals from Tom Schreiber and Hellyer less than a minute apart.

The Swarm replied with two markers from Holden Cattoni and one from Adam Wiedemann, which gave them the lead after one.

The Swarm extended its lead early in the second quarter. After Thompson scored, Jordan MacIntosh added a transition marker after scooping a loose ball left when Schreiber hit the post with a shot.

Hellyer led a brief comeback, scoring a power-play goal and later converting a transition pass from Sheldon Burns. In the middle, he fed a fast-closing Creighton Reid who beat Swarm goaltender Mike Poulin. But the Swarm took a 7-5 lead to halftime on Thompson’s second goal and one more by Zed Williams.

The Rock started the second half on a five-minute man advantage, but was having trouble getting a good scoring opportunity. Schreiber’s second goal salvaged the power play with just 17 seconds left in it.

Then, while Toronto was shorthanded, Kieran McArdle scored with a low shot from just inside the offensive zone. Bryan Cole scored late to send the Swarm to the final frame with an 8-7 lead.

Johnny Powless tied the game just 28 seconds into the fourth, but Randy Staats quickly answered. After Connor Sellars restored a two-goal lead, Hellyer scored his fourth goal by cutting to the net and firing a shot by the left arm of Poulin. McArdle scored his second, again from long range and Hellyer completed his five-goal night to give the Rock a brief late lead.

Thompson replied with his third, setting the stage for his heroics.

“They had one more shot. That’s what it came down to,” Rock head coach Matt Sawyer said.

“We had our opportunities, but we just have to find a way to come out with one against them.”

The Rock host the Philadelphia Wings next Friday.

10. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

I would bet Dawick has inquired with Calgary to see what they're thinking as far as a trade.

11. CrocodileLax

He'd be an idiot not to. I'd pull the trigger if the price was just Harris and one or two firsts but I doubt Calgary would be that stupid. And Harris belongs in a Rock uniform unless an insane talent's coming in return.

Still worth a look, just in case Berg's demanding a trade and Calgary wants him gone.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  12. unspoken

unspoken Member

They could potentially sign him to an offer sheet if Calgary doesn't qualify him in a future RFA year. That would be highly unlikely but you never know.

13. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

"Milestones" to watch out for this weekend, which also marks the first game of the season I'll be able to watch on tv.
    • Damon Edwards taking sole possession of 15th all-time in games played with 94
    • Tom Schreiber taking sole possession of 15th all-time in goals when he scores his next goal, which would be his 64th
    • Adam Jones getting to 100 points with the Rock. He's 8 points away.
    • Rob Hellyer scooping his 400th loose ball. He's currently at 398.

This all-time stuff, combined with that book about hockey players that only played in 1 NHL game, got me wondering as to how many players have played in just 1 game for the Rock in the team's history. In case anyone else was curious, here it is:
    1. Brandon Benn
    2. Connor Buczek
    3. Brian Croswell
    4. Mark Farthing
    5. Jason Henhawk
    6. Eric Pacey
    7. Nathan Sanderson
    8. Scott Stapleford
    9. Alec Tulett*
    10. Mark White
    I expect Tulett to play a second game for the Rock, so I was hesitant to put him on the list, but for the time being he's on there. Of those 10 players, I only remember 6 of them, and I'm pretty sure Stapelford was dealt to the Saints in the Chris Driscoll deal in 2003.

More useless info: Tim O'Brien has the record for the most games with the Rock without recording a point: 18 games, in which he recorded 15 loose balls and 52 penalty minutes.

14. CrocodileLax

Only a fool wouldn't qualify Berg.

I never thought for a blink that he was coming to the Rock soon. If there's a large forward who loves crashing the net to be had elsewhere, the Rock best look there. Landing Berg's a long-term project, barring some backroom dealings casual fans can't predict.

We'll see what happens.

15. RockStar

Tim O'Brien was not out there for his smiling or shooting.....more minutes in the box than on the floor most nights.

He had a purpose, and, was usually a valuable 18-man in the roughed days of the early NLL

16. rocklax#1

rocklax#1 Member

not useless at all. #77 tim the surgeon o'brien

17. AmericanRockFan

Agreed. To be honest I was surprised that he didn’t have more penalty minutes, but I think it was his second tenure with the Rock that weighed down his PIM per game tally.

The funny thing was that if you saw him outside the arena he didn’t look like an intimidating person. I think every time I saw him he always had glasses on, and he looked like someone you’d see in a library before you’d see him in a boxing gym.

18. RockStar

O'Brien and another noted tough, Drew "Sour" Candy showed up for the post-Fann pissup last time Toronto hosted.

Nice guys, and really appreciative of the folks that watched and enjoyed the pro/major sport.

19. 9SQUIRE3

9SQUIRE3 Active Member

This afternoons leaf game seems like a great opportunity to hand out coupons/tickets/2-1 after (inside or outside of the arena) to try and get more people at the game tomorrow...
    crowd is looking to be very thin tomorrow

:-(

20. AmericanRockFan

You should print out your own coupons and hand them out. I bet the ticket office wouldn't know they were knock off coupons :p

On a separate note, how come the Leafs and Raptors never do doubleheaders like you see some other NHL/NBA teams do on occasion? I understand the Rock not being involved in one since they're not MLSE property, but I'm a little surprised the Leafs and Raptors have never randomly done one. On that note, I don't really recall the Bandits and Sabres ever doing on either....