Toronto Rock Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Toronto Rock Forum' started by AmericanRockFan, Jul 25, 2017.

1. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Member

I miss him already. He had a great career. I hope he's able to enjoy time with his family now that his playing days are done.

smurf666 likes this.
  2. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

He's definitely one of the most underrated players in Rock history. He was never the guy but he was an excellent member of the supporting cast.

3. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Member

I'm not sure who's left to do his much needed dirty work. Can anyone think of someone on the roster who can create room for the rest of the offense, while potting the odd goal himself?

Regardless, the Rock offense will be much different without him.

4. AmericanRockFan

Linter can get into the dirty areas, BUT he doesn't have the scoring touch that Beirnes had. I rememember McNamara and Shanahan used to say during Rock broadcasts that Beirnes probably had the lowest ball possession per goal stat in NLL history if such a stat was a thing.

5. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

lintner has the guts and hustle to do some of the dirty work, but, he's little and has a helluva time staying on his feet when the crease d thugs are beating on him.

did not see enough of Caputo to read his potential.....

6. AmericanRockFan

Same. But all I know is that he's 6'3", 200 lbs, and has 36 goals this summer in the MSL. So he's got 4 inches on Beirnes, so he could be the guy to make space in front of the net based on his size.

7. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Member

I'm a touch skeptical of summer stats, as teams don't field their best players every game due to to scheduling conflicts. Lintner had 39 goals and 24 assists in 16 Brooklin games this summer, almost 4 points a game but he doesn't generate those numbers in the NLL: 12 games, 14 goals, 8 assists. Caputo had 36 goals for Brampton, with 19 assists in 16 games. For the Rock: 6 games, 6 goals, 2 assists.

These interleague stats aren't a fair comparison as there are different rules, net sizes, etc. Lintner and Caputo are also far more likely to be passed the ball in summer. And they start nearly every summer game, while they ride the bench every few games for the Rock. Being more active in the summer would inflate their numbers. But it is a hint that there's potential there.

I see Lintner more as the guy who scoops a loosie and gets a garbage goal after someone else lays the pick. Either that or he can be used to create the loosie but leave it to others to score. He can do one or the other. Not both.

Caputo does seem like a better gate crasher given his size. But again, I'm not convinced he can crash and score.

This speaks volumes for Beirnes -- he's tough to replace.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  8. AmericanRockFan

I can't disagree with your take on summer stats either to be honest, even if I have been citing them in this thread.

At the same time, though, I think Lintner is capable of contributing about 25 goals or so if he suits up in all 18 games in 2018. As for Caputo, I'm unsure of what 2018 can have in store for him. I didn't see enough of him in 2017 to get a great feel for him, but I am a little encouraged by his summer numbers. Given his 1 goal per game pace in a small sample size, he might be good for 15 goals or so in 2018, but what I'm really curious to see is if he's capable of using his large frame to his advantage. Right now is his opportunity, and in terms of sheer size he's got a sizable (pun intended?) advantage over Lintner in that regard since he's 6 inches bigger (get your mind out of the gutter). If Caputo's able to effectively utilize it, then there's a good chance he's taking Lintner's spot on the depth chart in 2018.

9. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Member

I agree Lintner can produce a goal or two a game. 25 goals in a full season doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility. The trick is, they may not need those goals. Perhaps it's better to create room for Hellyer, Hickey, Schreiber and Leblanc to score.

Lintner tends to eat carpet when he crashes the net. He's better hacking at someone in the corner or up the floor. Caputo's size suggests he's better for clearing a path to the crease but I haven't seen the same energy from Caputo, in the NLL or MSL, if I can blunt. You may be right about him getting the spot over Lintner if his size pays off. Again, maybe it's best they don't try to score per se. Just cause a turnover, scoop the ball and get it to the big guns. Beirnes they ain't.

10. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

I have a playmaker and two gunners at righty attack, so, even without Beirnes, it's still a touch crowded.

I think Caputo only gets extensive minutes in case of injury, or, when he proves that he can win loose ball battles behind the goal line, or set smashing picks that get the gunners into high percentage scoring areas with their hands free.

I had not pulled his size stats yet. Remembered him as a big lad, glad to see he is on the sturdy side. It's needed!

11. AmericanRockFan

Now that the Leafs and the Raptors schedules are out, I'm looking at potential Saturday home dates for the Rock this season:
    • Saturday, December 30 (cause this league might start before New Year's)
    • Saturday, January 27
    • Saturday, February 3
    • Saturday, February 17
    • Saturday, March 3
    • Saturday, April 14

Obviously, I don't think the Rock will be home on each of these Saturdays, but if they could get 4 of them I think that'd be great.

12. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

Those Saturdays are nicely spaced. Grab 4 or 5 of those and mix in Fridays for the rest, and there's a decent schedule.

Last year's was great, except for the excess of games between mid feb and end march....too many consecutive Rock weekends for such a drawn out overall schedule.

13. AmericanRockFan

My thoughts exactly. Looking at the available Fridays:
    • January 12
    • February 9
    • February 16
    • March 2
    • March 30
    • April 6
    • April 13*
    • April 20*
    • April 27*
    And because I know Sundays could be inevitable...
    • January 7
    • January 14
    • January 21
    • February 18
    • March 11
    • April 1
    • April 15*
    • April 22*
    • April 29*

The * implies that these dates are after NHL and NBA season conclude, so I'm unsure if there could be some sort of arena "blackout" dates for the Rock to accommodate the Leafs and Raptors playoff schedules.

I guess if it was up to me, I'd want a schedule of the following (I also say this as someone who is still debating a season pass if the schedule is ever that favorable for me):
    1. Saturday, December 30
    2. Friday, January 12
    3. Saturday, January 27
    4. Friday, February 9
    5. Saturday, February 17
    6. Saturday, March 3
    7. Sunday, March 11
    8. Friday, March 30
    9. Saturday, April 14

P.S., if this actually becomes the home schedule then I feel like someone should buy me beer. I think absolute best case scenarios is 5 Saturday's, 3 Friday's, and 1 Sunday. Otherwise you're going to have a stretch where the Rock are home 3-4 weekends in a row, and that's gonna kill the casual walkup.

14. AmericanRockFan

So apparently the Rock signed Brett Ulbikas out of the University of Guelph yesterday.
    http://gryphons.ca/roster.aspx?rp_id=9963&path=mlax

5'11" and 190 pounds. Seems to be a big boy. Was Guelph's leading scorer in 2015 and 2016. Apparently he got into a game for the Oakville Rock in 2016.

Out of curiosity, why isn't a player like this forced to go into the draft??

15. Toronto Rock sign Free Agent Brett Ulbik
    I Literally was just typing this,

regarding the draft im not sure of the specifics, but im assuming he already declared for the draft a couple years ago and was passed on (ill look into this)

this summer he played 13 games for the Oakville Rock (MSL) with 4 goals 2 assists and 2 PIMS, and played 9 games for the Oakville titans (Sr B) with 8G 6A. signed as a D guy according to the Rock Website but playes Forward according to MSL pointstreak

16. CAN CONFIRM:
    Draft profile, http://www.swarmitup.com/2015EDParticipantsProfiles.htm#Brett Ulbikas
    Mock Draft, http://inlacrossewetrust.com/2015-complete-nll-mock-draft/ (predicted to go 54 overall to the Rock in 2015)
    2015 Draft, http://pointstreaksites.com/view/nll/news-1147/news_327618

the rock (and rest of league) passed on him in 2015, chose Tyler Roche with their #54 pick (who???)

17. AmericanRockFan

And listed as a midfielder on the Guelph Griffins website, so I wonder if he'll be utilized in a transition role or a role similar to what Chris Driscoll had when he was with the Rock back in the day.

Seeing Tyler Roche's name makes me wonder whatever happened to Jeff Summerfield.

18. AmericanRockFan

So the draft is in 4 weeks. I think I'd like to see the Rock select a defender with their first pick, which at the moment is 18th overall in the second round.

While I know the NLL draft can be practically useless, I'd like to see them focus on improving their defense and drafting a goalie or two who can take Steve Fryer's old spot as the practice squad goalie.

For those keeping score at home, the Rock have the following draft picks:
    • 18th
    • 27th
    • 31st
    • 36th
    • 47th
    • 56th

19. id like to see the Rock give Craig Wende another shot at training camp (not just because I know the guy), a few years ago Terry Sanderson (RIP) gave him a shot and he got beat out by Fryer for the practice slot (Nick Rose and Brandon Miller where the starters,

he started over Fryer on the Southwest Cyclops (CLAX) and has been good for the Oakville Titans (Sr B) winning league MVP in 2016 (I may be wrong). He played for the Toronto Monarchs in (ALL) and played for Team Germany in this years EBLC (European Box Lacrosse Championship) in Finland (again did very well)

will this translate to NLL success? hard to tell... NLL has bigger nets and you play with the little stick. But id like to see him atleast get a chance to compete at training camp again

20. AmericanRockFan

I say "why not?" to that. It's not as if there's a lot of other options out there, so the Rock might as well invite a few ALL goalies (and any goalie playing in a men's league in the GTA) to see who's the best option to be the third stringer goalie.

Maybe they can coax Jay Preece out of retirement :p