Toronto Rock Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Toronto Rock Forum' started by AmericanRockFan, Jul 25, 2017.

1. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Josh Jubenville, going from the Six to the 6ix :cool:

RockStar likes this.
  2. AmericanRockFan

Okay.... please draft a forward with the 57th pick. I'll take Joe French, or maybe Cam Milligan if he's still around, please.

3. AmericanRockFan

Alright, here's a recap of who the Rock took tonight:
    • LT Drew Belgrave, 15th overall
    • RD Zac Masson, 18th overall
    • G Riley Hutchcraft, 30th overall
    • RD Alec Tulett, 35th overall
    • RD Josh Jubenville, 40th overall
    • D Christian Burgdorf, 49th overall
    • LF Daniel Craig, 28th overall
    While I'm thrilled with the Craig pick, I would've liked to have seen the club also snatch a righty forward as well although with Hickey, Hellyer, and Schreiber a righty might not get a lot of touches in 2018. None the less, I'm happy to see they focused on rebuilding the defense with the draft.

4. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Member

I'm pretty happy with these choices too. They're young, athletic and speedy prospects who'll work their asses off, if the crack the starting line up. Belgrave and Masson are particularly good choices -- hats off to the Rock scouts.

5. that would be my analysis as well, he went from being the #2 on that side of the floor to being the #1 on the entire floor, drawing the #1 defender all game can really hinder performance

ouch! atleast the Vancouver games will be close :p

6. AmericanRockFan

As far as I'm concerned, this is the depth chart right now heading into training camp:

Lefty Forwards
    Leblanc
    Jones
    Evans
    Reinholdt
    McArdle
    MacDonald
    Craig*
    Slade*

Righty Forwards
    Schreiber
    Hellyer
    Lintner
    Caputo

Transition

B. Merrill
    Sorensen
    Gamble
    Rogers
    Buczek
    Belgrave*

Defense
    Chapman
    Edwards
    Harris
    Kri
    Gilbert
    Magnuson
    Hostrawser
    Marshall
    P. Merrill
    Burgdorf*
    Jay*
    Jubenville*
    Masson*
    Robertson*
    Tulett*
    Ulbikas*

Goaltender

Rose
    Miller
    Hutchcraft*

I put an asterisk next to the kids they've signed out of college or just drafted. I don't know much about any of them so I put them at the end of the depth chart since they'll have to earn their spots in camp, but I gotta assume some of the defenders drafted are better than the likes of P. Merrill and Marshall at this point, and I imagine Dan Craig can give Mikey MacDonald a run for his money.

7. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Member

Patrick Merrill and Rob Marshall are two aging guys I'd be willing to part with, if younger guys show promise. And give bonus points to any of the rookies studying social work or counselling. They might help Hostrawser stay out of the box.

As for Dan Craig, I've been wondering what happened to him (he impressed me in a few games against the Beaches). I don't follow college ball but I should've known he might end up there. Anyway, he hasn't played box in a while and his last year with Orangeville was spotty. Worth a look because he was otherwise a great junior but there are some areas of concern that suggest he might not crack the lineup. We'll see.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  8. AmericanRockFan

I honestly was hesitant to even put Patrick Merrill and Rob Marshall on my depth chart because I really don't expect either guy to even suit up for the Rock in 2018. I think they're just here at this point to be a veteran locker room presence more than anything.

I see Craig is a little on the old side, as he turns 24 during the season. Does anyone know if he was draft eligible in the past? With the way the draft works and with all the undrafted kids the Rock have been signing, I'm just a tad curious why someone like him wasn't already draft eligible and able to be signed as an undrafted free agent.

9. (from a quick search) Daniel Craig played NCAA DIV 1 lacrosse for Penn State, not sure if this is exactly his situation but I know of other players who have been directly told by their schools NOT to play Box lacrosse during their summers off, as an injury will directly affect the school (who has invested money into you, so you get your free education).

however he did play Jr during his first 2 years at Penn (I guess that kills that theory), but he did play the 2016 season with Penn State, started all 15 games, scored 12 goals 7 assists for 19pts (source: http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-lacros/mtt/dan_craig_864124.html )

I have no idea why he didn't play this summer or took 2016 box season off

10. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

if i was D1 (athletic scholarship), i would not risk losing my scholarship for injury or for someone deciding that Major or Junior A counts as "professional".

i think i would just get over th nagging injuries, do lots of endurance/strength/agility training, and maybe do a couple of the high level field tourneys - Vail/Placid and the like.

11. AmericanRockFan

I am a tad curious to know what prompted him to sit out the 2017 summer season. Because you'd think he'd want to play to improve his draft stock, but there's always other things that could've gotten in the way like a nagging injury or a real world job opportunity.

12. AmericanRockFan

So the Rock signed 5 unrestricted free agents. I don't know much about any of them, except Patrick Miles could end up being a valuable pickup in my opinion.

http://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/toronto-rock-sign-five-free-agents/50523

13. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Member

Miles caught my eye as a prospect too. I've seen Cole and Lantz in the juniors. Both have lots of potential though they'll need some seasoning, a fact true of most defenders making the transition from junior to senior lacrosse. I haven't seen much of the other players; Bunio's a lefty forward which could be useful, depending on how other players perform in camp. I'm not sure if any of these signings will crack the final lineup but from what I've seen, this is a group of high energy, fast and hungry players. Definitely worth a look.

14. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

Looking forward to pre-season to see these guys against pros.

Nice thing about an early December season start is that, I guess, there is only about 6 weeks until the first chance!

15. AmericanRockFan

Of course it's great to have depth, but these kids are going to have their work cut out for them if they're able to make the active roster or even just the practice squad. I have no clue how be a high scorer in an Alberta junior league is going to translate to the NLL, but I'm eager to find out!

16. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

The Alberta junior champs actually gave solid games against the BC and Ontario teams this year's Minto.

I think we are at the point where RMLL Junior A is almost the same level of ball as the others, so, a standout player there is at very least, on a level where he can show his stuff at pro camp.

17. AmericanRockFan

Drew Belgrave, Riley Hutchcraft, and Dan Craig have all signed with the Rock per a team press release. The release also mentioned that Zac Masson won't be suiting up for the Rock this year, but I'm pretty sure we all knew that.

In regards to Dan Craig not playing the last couple of years, the release said "the Penn State grad is looking to re-establish his indoor game after taking the last couple of summers off to nurse injuries and focus on his collegiate outdoor lacrosse career." I'm curious to know if the injuries were actual injuries that needed recovery, or if it was more just taking time to allow a sore body to fully recover for the following NCAA season.

18. AmericanRockFan

The pre-season schedule is as follows, with all games being played at TRAC:
    • Saturday, November 11 vs. Saskatchewan at 7pm
    • Saturday, November 18 vs. Colorado at 7pm
    • Saturday, November 25 vs. New England at 7pm

19. AmericanRockFan

So, Jesse Gamble is out for the year due to work commitments (not judging in the least and it's really none of my damn business, but does anyone know what he does for a living? Sounds like he's got an important job), and Turner Evans is out until at least February or March. Combined with Marshall's retirement, here's my updated depth chart.

In my opinion, Reinholdt, McArdle, and MacDonald, as well as the draft picks, have a golden chance to get some more playing time with Evans out of the way for a little while... I hope to God that someone can step up and replace Gamble, because he's a huge loss in my opinion...

Lefty Forwards

Leblanc
    Jones
    (Evans)
    Reinholdt
    McArdle
    MacDonald
    Craig*
    Slade*

Righty Forwards
    Schreiber
    Hellyer
    Hickey
    Lintner
    Caputo

Transition

B. Merrill
    Sorensen
    Rogers
    Buczek
    Belgrave*

Defense
    Chapman
    Edwards
    Harris
    Kri
    Gilbert
    Magnuson
    Hostrawser
    P. Merrill
    Burgdorf*
    Jay*
    Jubenville*
    Masson*
    Robertson*
    Tulett*
    Ulbikas*

Goaltender

Rose
    Miller
    Hutchcraft*

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  20. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

Loss of Gamble will be felt - speedy lefty with decent transition playmaking abilities don't grow on trees.

This said, they still have Merrill and Sorenson........more depth at this role than any team in recent memory, maybe.

Maybe they can replace Gamble with a skull-crushing lefty crease d-man that can make other teams' attackers think twice about back-door cuts. A healthy Billy Dee would have been good, but, you can't count on him being healthy for a full season.....maybe a big bodied youngster with lower cost and upside worked into the lineup.