Trade dealine 2018

Discussion in 'Toronto Rock Forum' started by rocklax#1, Mar 11, 2018.

1. rocklax#1

rocklax#1 Member

Lets get Corey Small to the East. Stealth aren't going anywhere and with Dawick not caring about future picks, mine as give them a 1st and someone else. Be nice for him to do something instead of sitting on his hands and not giving ****. Tired of him talking about how much he cares and how passionate he is and not showing it to the fans. This team is not far from being a Finals team, however they are also not far from being a last place team in east. Its up to him
    RockStar likes this.
  2. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

Toronto doesn't have a 1st until 2020 so that's probably not going to cut it for the Stealth. So who do you give up off the roster to make up for it? Reid Reinholdt is a lefty forward and a BC guy but he doesn't replace the production. Adam Jones would be a replacement but he just came back East.

One team that could possibly swing this is Buffalo. They have an extra 1st (ironically, 1 of them is Vancouver's but they could give up their own pick which would be later in round 1) and Mitch Jones is a lefty from BC.

I could see Small staying on the Stealth roster and then maybe sent to Philly for their 1st or someone they pick in the expansion draft.
  3. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

Putting on my wannabe GM hat -

I don't want to move any of the top 5-7 defencemen or Rose, so, the short answer for me is pretty well any forward that the Van GM is dumb enough to ask for / take.

Going into expansion, and, the way Toronto's guys are playing together lately, I don't see any of them as untouchable. I can only protect five anyway (unless I colour the truth, call one of them a D/T, and fight with the league on an unenforceable rule.....) I am going to lose two of the guys, and, frankly, I am not even sure how much I care much which ones.

Barring a trade this year to land Small, I think my plans are to protect Jones, Hellyer, Schreiber and Craig. Roll dice to figure out the fifth protect, or, lie about a D/T's position and protect him as the fifth forward.

(With Schreiber.........let's see if he has lost half a step after coming back from this injury, because his game depends on his quickness and he will not be as effective if he is a touch less quick.......If he is any kind of FA after this season, with US East coast expansion coming soon.....maybe you have to make a tough decision here. Hope he bounces back, because, he is the most exciting/athletic/gutsy forward on the Rock right now, but, let's see his game in a few weeks and decide then.....)
  4. chuckster

Since the Rock don't have the picks to work with, it might cost you a top D man AND Reinholdt to get Small.
  5. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

If I'm the Rock, I call Vancouver and see what it would take to get Small. But I'm not sure how much I'm willing to part with because I'm not a huge fan of digging a new hole to fill an existing one. Plus with the expansion that's going to take place after this season, part of me would rather stand pat, see where this season takes you, and then see what options exist with player personnel this off-season.
  6. wacklax

wacklax Member

Because you guys dont have a first it would take Magnusson and Reinholt. From Buf I would want Chase Fraser and a first this year.
  7. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

i might do Magnusson and Reinholdt......but if I am doing it, I only do it before the expansion draft so, I can protect Small and someone else for myself instead of having to protect guys for Van.
  8. AmericanRockFan

Reinholdt and Magnuson, who's yet to even get in a game this season? Sold!

Having said that, I'm not sure if another star player is what this team needs. If anything, I wonder if they need another role player more than they need a superstar because right now when healthy you have Schreiber, Jones, Hellyer, and Hickey, all of whom are capable of being the guy (except for Hickey, although he's a upper mid-tier guy in my books).
  9. chuckster

Magnuson has been in 3 games this year. He's taken faceoffs in every game he's played.
  10. AmericanRockFan

Somehow beyond me I forgot he played on opening day, and that pathetic game the following week, before playing yesterday. I feel like the guy has been under a rock for the season.