Training Camp & Roster

Discussion in 'Buffalo Bandits Forum' started by LordStanley1893, Dec 1, 2018.

1. LordStanley1893

LordStanley1893 Active Member

What's everyone's thoughts on who is going to make the team. The defense spots will be extremely competitive.

Goalies are 99% set with Vinc & Higgins.

Offense is probably almost set too. Byrne, Small, Durston, Smith & Evans are locks. I think Fraser is pretty much a lock (why trade to protect him in expansion). That leaves 1-2 spots for Bridle, Molloy, Boushy and Herreweyers to battle it out. Maybe Hill if they don't run him out the back.

Defense/Transition, hard to pick. I think Brownell, de Snoo, Hoggarth, Martin, Priolo and Weiss are locks. Gilray, MacKay and Sweeting are probably locks. That leaves 1-3 spots for Steenhuis, Wagner, O'Brien, Bennett, Hill, Spanger, Harnett, O'Connor and Tamas. Yikes, even with expansion, there will be some good players on the practice roster.

2. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

I hope you guys enjoy a fun year. I think this team is good enough to grab a playoff spot, and do so in an entertaining way.

3. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

I think on O, it will depend on which fringe guy can do the dirty work for Smith, Evans and the rest of the locks.

I would not be surprised if Steenhuis does not make the team.

4. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

They had an open practice today. Looks like they added the colored ends and crease that are becoming popular. Yuck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. BanditsRock11

BanditsRock11 Well-Known Member

The crease and behind the net look awful, why so much purple?

6. Wings-4-Life

Seems like the Black Wolves started a stupid trend (of course). The Wings are doing it too:

[​IMG]

7. Rick716

Rick716 Well-Known Member

Agreed. It looks awful. Why not just leave well enough alone?

8. GoodsOnSabres

GoodsOnSabres Member

Here's my somewhat educated guess.

F: Byrne, Small, Smith, Evans, Durston, Fraser, Hill (7)
    D/T: Brownell, Priolo, Weiss, Gilray, MacKay, Sweeting, de Snoo, Hoggarth, Martin, O'Connor, Spanger (11)
    G: Vinc, Higgins (2)

Jeez, I'm just not sure I can find a place for Mark, but I think they probably keep him. I also know they really like Bridle, but they may be able to hide him and Molloy on the practice roster for now. We have to see what Hill is after a year off, but if he's anywhere close to before I think they keep him simply because he can play both a forward and transition role. Need that kind of guy with Harris and Jones gone.

9. BigDave

BigDave Active Member

Bandits signed Mark to a one - year deal, that maybe means he retires as a Bandit.

10. LordStanley1893

Possible, I'm with Goods. Where do we put him?

My list is similar, 1-2 forward spots up for grabs. 1-2 defense spots up for grabs. Every year is tough with the cuts, but those last couple of defense spots will be difficult. There are going to be good players that don't even hit the practice roster.

11. chuckster

Players have to be under a contract to be able to attend a camp. Many of these 1 year deals are designed just for that and there's nothing guaranteed about making the roster. Mark is likely in that boat and he will have to earn it.....but, if he can still motor effectively combined with veteran experience, he might edge a younger guy into the practice squad. If Kilgour/Tavares decide he's not in their plans, I bet the Bandits offer Mark a coaching opportunity.

12. chuckster

It's probably to match the secondary color they're going with in their current branding. Look at the Bandits website and Twitter graphics and you'll see it there.

I would expect that if there is a 3rd jersey this year, it will be heavy on the purple. I don't know why they're doing that but it's probably the graphic designers at PSE that initiated it. :rolleyes:

13. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

The shades of purple and orange look wrong on the photos

14. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Purple definitely looks out of place.

Didn’t Colorado or Calgary start the end zone fad? Regardless, I’m gonna go all Canadan and say I liked it when the colored end zones were unique and not redundant :p

Colored creases though I’m okay with.

15. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

Me too......except when some tard-wad selects grey for the crease, a la Philly, so, the poor bastard ref watching the replay doesn't have a prayer of discerning exactly where the ball is relative to the goal line.

I sincerely hope they miss the playoffs on a duffed call that cannot be overturned :D

16. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Have to say this is the best effort the Bandits have made on a jersey since 1992
    [​IMG]

17. Wings-4-Life

Swing and a miss.

I love the new 3rd jerseys, though.

18. Echo

Echo Member

19. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, red creases would've been far better in Philadelphia than grey ones. I'm also not a fan of that bright yellow end zones because it's gonna be hard for fans to locate the ball when it's on that part of the floor.

20. LordStanley1893

I love the unis. Interesting note about the roster from Gurt's blog. The active roster is now 21 plus 4 practice roster spots. I don't know if the game day roster is increasing from 19. They have 31 players in camp. Final rosters are due on Monday the 10th, there is a scrimmage against New England on the weekend.