Two announcements tomorrow

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by TofuBomb, Sep 12, 2018.

1. MILLwasbetter

MILLwasbetter Well-Known Member

I see what you are saying but the wings were dead. bad team, bad attendance, the team was gone for a few years.

In this case, Rochester loses a championship team, not because of any other reason then that the owner feels like it. And the league is saying that's cool, screw the fans, we will just give them a new team to start from scratch. That is messed up. Imagine if the Penguins moved to Vegas, and Pittsburgh was given an expansion team, instead of the Penguins staying put and Vegas getting an expansion team. The NHL would be put o shame, as would the NLL if this league had any credibility with the major sports media. It's the bushiest move ever.

Wings-4-Life likes this.
  2. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

I would love to see the Penguins move & Pittsburgh get an expansion team. :D

MILLwasbetter likes this.
  3. TofuBomb

TofuBomb Guest

A few people on Twitter are making the attached point

Attached Files:

4. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

One would assume they're taking the whole team.... some will be given back in the expansion draft, and some won't re-sign do due to travel. This is the NLL, not the NFL.

5. TofuBomb

TofuBomb Guest

Yeah, I assumed it was just sloppy writing. But who knows?

6. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

I'm not sure at all that that is the reason.

For one thing, while in Canada, HFX is a lot further than ROC for the boxla epicenter of the Golden Horseshoe.

Second, ROC probably was in a bit of a bind for Curt so he needed do something. At the same time, the league would not want to lose ROC so, at the league's urging, I suspect they made the case to the Pegulas to take over that market. With their having more resources and seeing a nearby established ROC market, probably felt they could make it work. Win-Win-Win there.

Finally, expanding in Canada is actually a decent move and I've said so for years although I'll be honest and did not think HFX should have been a target for a franchise. That said, with the consolidation of the HFX metro area becoming the Halifax Regional Municipality (which is the same thing happening in other parts of Canada), maybe there's a better economic case to be made. Certainly, the success of Saskatoon was unexpected by many. Between Saskatoon and San Antonio and Indianapolis, sports history has taught us that expanding into previously overlooked market can be successful. That said, I am not sure how Curt will do in HFX. As wealthy as he is, he's still a "mom-and-pop" owner. I hope he is able to make it work there.

7. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

The Halifax Penguins would be very nice.

8. Bandits37

Bandits37 Member

I just don't get the obsession with keeping a team in Rochester. They have a good history sure but the locals obviously don't care about them, attendance shows you that. The "arena" is awful and outdated as is the game day presentation. I suppose the Pegulas need SOMETHING to be in that arena besides the Americans (especially now that the circus is gone) since they'll be running it now but just seems a terrible waste of money. At least they'll have a scoreboard now that doesn't seem like you rubbed dirt in your eyes before looking at it

thwingfan and Dave S-C like this.
  9. Dave S-C

Dave S-C Active Member

Uncasville as well with 5500 or what it is they get, unless the team is some sort of tax write-off for the rez so attendance doesn't matter.

10. Dave S-C

Dave S-C Active Member

I cannot see Seattle being seriously considered any time soon after Everett Stealth disguised as Seattle but named Washington was a flop. Seattle's problem is the arena situation, which has been a thorn for major pro sports such as the NBA and NHL going (back) there. Maybe once the NHL gets set up there and established, the NLL could get back into the Seattle market. But as the Stealth showed not once but twice, disguising suburbs as major metro areas doesn't result in a major metro attendance nor support. Key Arena as it is right now is a dump in a really bad location for access and parking.

Just looked more into KeyArena. If the NBA/NHL does go there, the existing arena will be shutdown for two years for redevelopment. NLL is better to wait until after redevelopment, otherwise they will need to find a temp home for 2 years.

11. IAmDroot

IAmDroot Guest

Yeah my thoughts on Seattle would be to come in around when the NHL supposedly goes in, not any time before.

12. MILLwasbetter

Vin I'm all for expansion in Halifax, I think it will work very well. I just think its a really weird and really bush move to move an established team and immediately replace them in he same marke and building, than to give Halifax an expansion team.

Think about it, it's not like Halifax escaped bad ownership, the same owner is going to Halifax. And the Rochester team will play in the same old building, granted the pegulas own it, but styres team will probably be paying more rent in Halifax. The whole thing seems almost corrupt to me. I think this comes down to Curt saw what happened to the rush when they moved and believes he could do the same. it's almost the exact same scenario.

13. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

There's more to the $18 million investment than just the scoreboard. The whole facility is getting improvements and that's important.

14. chuckster

They can't. Key Arena is going to go through a massive face lift and it won't be ready until the 1st season of the proposed NHL team.

15. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Keep in mind they own the arena and it is part of a very nice facility with restaurants and shops. Many people who go there for the game spend more money there either before or after the game.

thwingfan likes this.
  16. Bandits37

Bandits37 Member

Lipstick on a pig, even the people in Rochester have started kicking around the idea they need an entirely new arena to remain viable. I'm not trying to just bash Rochester here but business wise it makes no sense if they weren't in charge of booking the BCA. Apathetic fanbase, hostile and cash strapped politicians, aged arena and questionable growth possibility....I mean am I missing something here? Weren't there rumors of the baseball team leaving a few months ago as well despite them having a brand new park? They'd have been better off moving the Americans to Buffalo and sharing rink space with the Sabres/Beauts, letting the lacrosse team disappear and implementing minor improvements geared towards attracting more concerts and the occasional WWE show. But whatever......its not my money

17. MILLwasbetter

I just cant wrap my head around this. Imagine the uproar if on the same day the Raiders announced they're moving to Vegas, that the NFL announced Oakland was getting an expansion team, to start the same year that the Raiders left, under new ownership, with huge upgrades to the stadium. People would be in an uproar over how greedy and selfish raiders ownership is. Over how Vegas is getting an established team and Oakland is getting a dumpster expansion team. This is insane to me. I feel like everyone has just grown to be comfortable with the NLL making stupid bush league dumpster decisions like this that no one is upset over it.

This says to me that the NLL feels like Rochester will be just fine cheering for a bad expansion team because the base is already there, and that they want to move a contender to a new location because of the success they've seen in Saskatoon.

18. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

That just makes too much sense.

19. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Honestly, how many casual Rochesterians who attend games periodically are even gonna notice a difference?

Bandits37 likes this.
  20. chuckster

Outside of the 1,700 that have season tickets? Likely a dozen or so more.

Personally, I can't wait until Pegula takes over the Hawks in Rochester so I can tell Hawks fans "No, Buffalo OWNS you!".....when Golisano owned the Sabres, there were a few drunk Hawks fans who would come here to talk trash and would say to Bandits fans "Rochester OWNS you!". If any of them haven't died of liver failure, I want to rub that back in their teal and purple painted faces. :cool: