Two announcements tomorrow

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by TofuBomb, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

I am not sure that the KHawks 2.0 will be that bad. Yeah, in principle, they will be an expansion team and will get stocked with players from an expansion draft. At the same time, Curt will likely also not retain the complete HFX KHawks 1.0 team because, with the move, some guys may not want to make the trek to HFX and want out of their contracts. So, who knows what's going to happen in 2019-20?

Don't ever forget the 1992 Buffalo Bandits... MILL Champions in their first year.

2. LordStanley1893

LordStanley1893 Active Member

Vinc can sign his contract with the Bandits right away :cool:.

3. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

I certainly was remembering that farce.

Sure wish the Express had actually stuck around. I know they papered the **** out of the stands, but, the difference between there and everywhere else is fans actually gave enough of a **** to use the paper......there was actually hope of getting many of them to pay.

4. RockStar

MTBF - I interpret this as a suggestion......sharpen the scalpel :D

5. RockStar

Some fans will realize that there is a possible alternate scenario where Styres moves the team, and, the local fans can just go F themselves.

They might keep showing up. for a while.

MrWilson likes this.
  6. liveone

liveone Member

Tribes and tribal corporations are exempt from federal income tax exempt. Some, like Mohegan Sun, may have to pay something to the states they operate in. Mohegan Sun and Foxwoods both pay a percentage of the slot revenue to the CT.

5,500 attendance is almost 75% of the arena capacity and about 90% of the actual usable seating (upper end seats are last sold cause they SUCK). The tribe gets a piece of every single dollar spent in building, though. It goes beyond concessions and merch, too. From what I understand, if the family stops at Chic-Fil-A for dinner before the game, the tribe gets a cut. Stop at Krispy Cream for a dozen donuts after the game, the tribe gets a cut. Comp a few tickets to Momentum card holders who gamble frequently and you get them in the building to lose some ducats at the blackjack table after the game.

The Wolves live in an entirely different financial reality than the rest of the league. They've kept the WNBA Sun operating for 13 years despite consistently being toward the bottom of league attendance. On the other hand, I don't see the tribe operating them very long at a perceived loss. If they drop to 3K a game again it could get ugly.

7. jstraw80

jstraw80 Active Member

Did I miss the announcements? Page 4 and I dont see anything official yet.

8. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

You forgot the fact that he was selling less tickets every year in the 2nd worst arena in the NLL. The NLL does not belong in Rochester never has.

9. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

A MILL team who could have 13 Canadians on their roster when every other MILL team was limited to 3 Canadians not to mention Buffalo had exclusive drafting rights for any player from Buffalo to Toronto for the 1991, 92, and 93 draft because the MILL had protected regions for each team giving exclusive rights for up to three players. The only surprise about Buffalo '92 is they lost three games.

10. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

Kidneys...its what for dinner

RockStar likes this.
  11. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

And by many accounts, his lease deal at the BCA wasn't doing him alot of favors.

12. liveone

liveone Member

I'm curious as to what arena people feel is worse than Rochester. Am I not thinking of a really obvious one?

13. IAmDroot

IAmDroot Guest

Was probably Langley Events Center

14. KHawkTobey

KHawkTobey Member

Fixed your post:

"You forgot the fact that he was selling less tickets every year in the worst stadium in the NFL. The NFL does not belong in Buffalo never has."

The hatchet swings both ways my friend.

fzybro likes this.
  15. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Active Member

So, you have an owner losing money, trying his best to draw good crowds with affordable tickets and free buses to road games. He assembles a perennial contender and builds three consecutive championship teams (a feat never before accomplished). This year, the Knighthawks gave one of the best NLL teams ever a good run in the final. The Knighthawks may be one or two seasons away from their next title! His reward:

-Rochester fans stop showing up
    -They demand he trade his own nephew (who any team in the league would grab in a heartbeat) while said nephew rounded into form after an injury
    -The same fans set up Facebook pages blasting team management for perceived incompetence, ignoring the continued success of the team.

Now folks are surprised Styres wants the hell out?

I wish he bought the Rock and transferred his loser franchise here.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  16. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Considering that:
    1. At 1082k, the size of Rochester metro area population is significantly greater than the size of Saskatoon metro area population at 295k.
    2. Saskatchewan had the highest average attendance in the NLL last year
    3. At 14639 in 2018, that SAS average is comparable to averages of NHL or NBA averages given the arena sizes
    the mathematical case that Rochester is not worthy of an NLL team is hard to make.

That said, it would be better if the BCA had a larger capacity like the SaskTel Centre so they could get larger average attendance. That's currently hard to justify with ROC's current average attendance of 6760.

Let's hope the Pegulas investment in Rochester, the BCA, and the KHawks 2.0 is comparable to what they have done in Buffalo and will help resurrect that team and the NLL presence in Rochester.

http://nll_stats.stats.pointstreak.com/attendance.html?leagueid=230&seasonid=17281
    http://www.espn.com/nba/attendance/_/year/2018
    http://www.espn.com/nhl/attendance/_/year/2018

17. MILLwasbetter

MILLwasbetter Well-Known Member

not really relatable here. the bills have sold record season tickets during their darkets years. this would also imply that green bay Detroit and Cleveland don't really belong in the league either.

18. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

That post hits the nail squarely on the head. After the first year of a Pegula run expansion franchise, Rochester will be crying in their Genny Lights about how they miss Styres and about how good they had it.

19. MILLwasbetter

tough to argue with any of these points.

20. MILLwasbetter

if Rochester couldn't fill a 10k arena with a threepeat caliber team, then they will never need a larger one

CrocodileLax and RockStar like this.