usa heritage cup roster is has quite a few notables not in the nll

Discussion in 'Other Lacrosse' started by dougm, Sep 19, 2017.

1. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

2. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Gotta get used to the bounces of the indoor game before you leave the MLL for the NLL after the data leak ;)

3. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

Still, they have some good players with indoor experience. The Canadians will be the heavy favorite but the USA has a lot of young legs on the roster.

4. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

I have not noticed if Team Canada has announced yet.

The team will be stupidly stacked with individual talent, but........

these are funny games where the team might have 8 attackers that all need the ball, and, defencemen that do not necessarily have a feel for each other.

First Heritage cup was downright hilarious - Broken, disjointed game with little to no scoring for first 10 minutes or so.......and, then, Team Canada's (poorly picked) team started getting murdered on turnovers and transition, and, murdered on the fact that there were only four legit defencemen picked......whenever there was a set offence series, USA was able to get open looks from the top at 15-25', and, were able to shoot well. Watson got picked apart.

Something like an 8-0 or so run after the initial jitters, leading to something like 12-2 at the half.

Eventually Maetche got pulled for Miller, and, Canada was able to pump in enough garbage time goals to make the score only look like a mild embarrassment.

It is not likely to happen like that ever again, because, no Canada coach/GM will ever be as arrogant in picking a team as Bartley and Mouradian were back then.

This said, if the goalie has a bad night, and, other weaknesses are exploited, anything can happen in a one-game knockout.

I don't think USA wins this without an unexpected, and other-worldly performance by their goalie though.

5. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

The Americans always shoot the ball with deadly accuracy so if Canada can take those long range shots away, they should be fine.

6. 30seconds

30seconds Member

How do we lose with that line up! I guess Doyle was still in shooting mode there. To many people needed the ball but still! Rockstar why do you say they were arrogant picking the team. Bartley was the best coach and Mouradian.. as much as people dont like him he was a very successful GM. I can still remember this game. I think that was when I got my hat signed by Bartley!

Name Pos NLL team
    Rob Blasdell G Albany
    Glenn Clark D Toronto
    Anthony Cosmo G Toronto
    Pat Coyle D Toronto
    Colin Doyle F Toronto
    Gary Gait F Colorado
    John Grant Jr. F Rochester
    Tracey Kelusky F Montreal
    Curt Malawsky F Rochester
    Blaine Manning F Toronto
    Jim Moss D Albany
    Gavin Prout F New York
    Josh Sanderson F Albany
    Dan Stroup F Toronto
    Dan Teat F Albany
    Steve Toll F Toronto
    John Tavares F Buffalo
    Jim Veltman F Toronto
    Bob Watson G Toronto
    Cam Woods D Albany

I will likely get tickets. 12$ each! Great price

7. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I think what RockStar meant was they built too much of an all-star team and not enough of an actual team, if that makes sense.

There's only one ball to go around, and when you have guys like Doyle, Gait, Grant, Tavares, Prout, Sanderson, and others, all of whom are used to being the guy and the general on the floor, teams can be bound to run into some trouble if guys have a hard time being assigned a new role, whether that's due to their own personal arrogance or just due to a lack of experience being in a lesser role.

8. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

count the real defencemen in that lineup - Coyle, Clark, Woods, Moss, Veltman.......if they dont fill the other net, it's a long afternoon......and for all the firepower, they didn't score much until garbage time.