Vegas

Discussion in 'Off-topic Forum' started by swami24, May 20, 2018.

1. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

You gotta love the Golden Knights story. First year team makes the Cup finals. I would guess that the only other team to do that would menthe Blues in 1968. That was artificial though, since the league put all of the expansion teams in one division, garaunteeing a first year team in the finals.

2. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

I am laughing at the haters.

no matter what happened that gave Vegas a better chance that most expansion teams, they still built a competitor out of the guys that all the other GMs thought were the 31st best coaching option and second-half-of-depth guys.

**** the whiners, the rest of the league got pwned.

Last edited: May 20, 2018
  3. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

I agree. They really had no advantage. Hell, they were making deals to suck this year. They spent a good amount of the preseason loading up for later down the road.

Immediately following the expansion draft, I remember all the media saying how truly awful this team would be. They landed Marchessault, and I've loved him since his rookie season in Tampa. James Neal brought veteran leadership. Aside from that, nothing else could've been predicted. Fleury has been amazing, but he's a 33 year old goalie, who only played about 45 games this year (Vegas used FIVE goalies due to injury!). William Karlsson was a 4th line plug in Columbus. Alex Tuch had only played 6 NHL games before this year, and never even registered a point. Erik Haula had spend some very underwhelming seasons in Minnesota. The defense still seems like a mix of rag-tag dudes thrown together.

This story is nothing short of amazing. I guess all the people who said it's unfair are about to get really rich. Since they all knew this would happen, I'm sure they all placed bets on Vegas before the season with their 500-1 odds. :rolleyes:

4. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

He's a guy who I thought had a lot to gain by going to an expansion team. He's a former 1st round pick and he just turned 22, and quite frankly I was a little surprised to see the Wild give him up like they did.

And to think, Vadim Shipachyov was supposed to be the "star" of Vegas this season.

5. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

Let's not forget this. Fleury has 3 Stanley Cup rings and that's huge in the room. He should be the playoffs MVP....although, this is the NHL and they will find some way to hand that to Sidney Crosby. o_O

swami24 likes this.
  6. Wings-4-Life

Right? I think he played like 3 games before fleeing back to Russia. The way this has all unfolded is incredible.

7. BigDave

BigDave Active Member

Cripes, how many teams that came into the league after Buffalo have won the Cup?

If Vegas takes the Cup, everyone on the Sabres should commit ritual suicide.

8. chuckster

At the least, Terry Pegula should ask to start over as an expansion franchise. However, he would likely find a way to screw that up.

9. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

I put 10$ on them in September with my bookie at 500/1

10. Hollywood42

Buffalo is a terrible hockey town that’s why

11. Wings-4-Life

I'm torn on this. Half of me wants to see VGK win it, so I can see one of the greatest stories in the history of sports.

Half of me is bitter. I'm 30, and the best thing I've seen from the Flyers in my life is a good stretch in the 90's that ended up with one Finals appearance, which they got swept. This isn't fair!

12. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

H24, if you did , congrats! W4life, the Flyers are just 2 years away?,yeah we've heard that, but they are invested.

13. Hollywood42

I was joking but I’m sure someone did just messing around

14. chuckster

Buffalo is a great hockey town with a terrible team and a cream puff coach. If Philadelphia had a hockey team that finished last in the league 3 out of 4 years, no one would be going to Flyers games by now.

15. Hollywood42

I do feel your pain the flyers got the beat out pinto in JVR and the black hawks got the corvette in Kane

Same for Buffalo with Eichel to mcjesus

16. BigDave

BigDave Active Member

The league should institute a rule that any team should not have the #1 overall pick in consecutive years.

17. chuckster

The lottery system can handle that and if the ping pong balls randomly fall for a team, so be it. Buffalo finished last 3 out of the last 4 years but has only had #1 overall for the upcoming draft so the draft lottery has kept that from happening.

18. Wings-4-Life

To be fair, the Oilers selected McDavid in 2015. #1 overall went to the Panthers in 2014, and the Leafs in 2016.

19. nickp91

nickp91 New Member

The three biggest upsets in sports since 2016. Leicester City winning the EPL title in 2016 UMBC a number 16 seed beat number 1 seed Virginia in the 2018 NCAA basketball tournament The Golden Knights an expansion team made it to the 2018 Stanley Cup finals

20. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

The Golden Knights winning the Cup would definitely be on par with Leicester City winning the Premier League title a couple years ago. I might still give Leicester City the edge there a bit.