way off topic - anybody driver for uber or lyft?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Forum' started by dougm, Jun 17, 2015.

1. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

i'm looking for a little extra cash and i thought about being a driver for uber or lyft. anybody use their service, or better yet, drive for them?

2. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Post deleted because of the incompetent IT staff. They should perhaps get Uber jobs since they can't seem to cut it in IT.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2015
  3. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

I casually looked into it.

It looks like you can make a few hundred on a decent day, but, in exchange for that, you have to beat the **** out of your own car and deal with members of the public at large.

And, then, there's the insurance issue.

If you talk to your carrier about covering yourself properly for commercial use, it's going to get costly.

If you don't.......well, just make damned certain you don't get in a crack-up and hurt your passenger or another member of the public.....

I'd think a bright entrepreneurial sort could find a better, less risky way to pocket a few bucks

4. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that Uber is under litigation in California right now which is declaring that Uber drivers are employees and not contractors like the company claims. As employees, Uber would have to provide benefits, etc., and be subject to more labor laws.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/18/business/uber-contests-california-labor-ruling-that-says-drivers-should-be-employees.html

5. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

rockstar;
    just thinking out loud. i use rapid rover for our travels to the airport and my drivers have been guys my age and not one disliked their job. but for them, it is a job as they use rapid rover owned everything, they are employees. thus the insurance concerns would not be an issue.

6. RockStar

If the hourly, or the fare split is OK, the rapid rover thing might be better.

Bringing my own car into the equation bothers me a bit.....I mean, the possibility of $50 an hour or so for the good hours is intriguing, but, if take away ~$10 per hour for fuel (minimum), and I insure myself properly and assign a cost for maintenance and depreciation on top of the hard costs for fuel......well, would I be left with $30 before the tax man claws out his share? And, is the headache of shuttling drunks and tourists worth it?

I dunno. Enough with the get rich quick schemes. I need a plan to get rich......and quick!

7. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Since I'm sitting in a waiting room and am bored, let me bump this old post.

My hot take is that I don't trust getting into a random person's car and I don't want random people getting in mine; even if they're paying me.

8. RockStar

I got over this when I saw the difference in price structure between non-surge UBER and regular taxi.

Truth be told, I cannot remember the last time I took a taxi where the guy driving the MF actually matched the picture on the license......at least UBER has my guy's banking info :D

9. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

True dat. Truth be told, I can't even remember the last time I took a taxi anywhere.

10. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

Never used them, but these services have prevented endless DUIs, and their resulting disasters.

11. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

Uber drivers here in West Chester do very well. Given that it's a college town, there's more bars than people.

West Chester only has one taxi company, and they close at 7pm every night. Even weekends.

12. RockStar

Amazing that there is not enough business to keep them open later.......

I can remember being astounded during my one and only trip to Gettysburg that a tourist town that size did not even have a single livery company with a couple of cars.

Uber or Lyft will fix that problem.

Like I said, decent money to be had, but, not risk free, and, you beat the **** out of your car to get the money.

Only way I ever see myself doing it is if next project is downtown.......I'll turn the thing on before driving in, and again before driving out to see if I can get paid most of the way to work and back home. Right now, it aint worth the bother.