We are on the cusp of the finals

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by RockStar, May 20, 2018.

1. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

I have a TwitTroll account that I used to use to hassle lousy journalists, but, otherwise, I am not a tweet-twittering-twat either.......I was able to view games of the week without logging into twitter, so, should be good.

One proviso is that (for a change) I was not spoofing my location in any way, so, it "knew" where I was (i.e. outside the continental USA.......)

Not sure if the media rights are different if you are, such that you would have to log in.

If you need to "change" your location, do the MTBF tactic and use a Middle Eastern VPN so the INS, CIA, DIA, FBI, and DHS are all watching lacrosse too :D

2. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I wonder if I've ever yelled at you for having a bad hot take without knowing it was you :mad: I used to yell at anonymous Twitter trolls all the time before reducing my mindless social media usage

3. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

Thanks.. will try next week.

4. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

They usually provide the link on Facebook
    You don’t need twitter account to watch

5. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

No. It's free and open to everyone even those without a Twitter account. I stream it from my desktop computer to my TV via Chromecast and that works nicely.

The NLL has the same broadcast crew for all the Twitter games. Some play by play dude, Brian Shanahan doing color commentary and for the finals, the dude with the TV hair on the bench doing interviews and commentary from the floor.

6. MILLwasbetter

MILLwasbetter Active Member

Everything about this league is taking too long, and when you think about a league that struggles to fill arenas and create a buzz or a profit, why would they want to play more meaningless games and spend more money when they could make each game an event and drive ticket sales up? Why make yourself have to sell roughly 45,000 tickets to the finals when you could make a huge event and create a demand for 15,000 tickets? Seems like a poor decision. Imagine if some of the great finals games that went down to the wire had just been game one of the bs series? Imagine if Rochester knew that they had to comeback in game one, because it was the only game. They probably wouldn't have quit to save it for game 2 like they did. The product would be so much better without this nonsense. Sometimes less is more, the NLL is a prime example of this.

7. chuckster

I watched the game and I don't get the feeling that Rochester quit, even when down 13-9 in the 4th with half a quarter to go. Even if it was 1 and done, the Rush were rolling in the 2nd half and the Hawks had no answers for it.

8. AmericanRockFan

The only time I recall seeing a team really quit in a title game was when Calgary lost game 2 of the 2014 final against Rochester. Calgary won game 1, and then fell behind in Game 2 and Malawsky yanked Poulin to give him a breather before putting him in for the last 5 minutes or so of Game 2. To be honest, I remember at the time thinking it was a rather wise choice to wait it out for the mini game rather than try your damnest to win Game 2. I'll have to find a boxscore to see how far behind Calgary was at the time to see if I still feel that way 4 years later.

9. MILLwasbetter

Maybe quit was the wrong word to choose. I meant if Rochester knew this was it and they need to get it together, the sense of urgency would kick in and likely the level of play. Also might just be a poor example to use for me hating the series and wanting a short and sweet season with 1 and done playoffs. Cant call it.

10. MILLwasbetter

I also still cant believe the league thought a mini game to win the championship was a good idea. I mean that really made game 1 pointless. Game 2 was all that mattered ( I include a 5 minute extension as part of game 2). Sometimes you read the ideas that people on this message board have, and you see what the league does, and you wonder how some of us aren't very high up in the NLL.

11. 9SQUIRE3

9SQUIRE3 Active Member

Maybe I am remembering wrong, but I thought they never had the mini game in the finals. It was a best of 3.

12. chuckster

I'm glad they got rid of the mini-game. I know some of them were intense but it made it too difficult to explain how it was all going to work. I like the 1 and done for all playoff games.

13. AmericanRockFan

The only one I know for sure they did was 2014. To be honest, I only vividly remember it is cause I was there :p

For drama sake, a mini game for the championship was kinda fun, but I'd rather see the title decided in a full 60 minute contest.

Tom Wersderfer likes this.
  14. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  15. New Fan

New Fan Active Member

Mini game was just a **** poor way to decide a championship. I remember the 2014 game. Roughnecks were up 2-0 in the mini game and lost 3-2. Poulin was pulled in game 2, not to save himself for the mini game but because he was having a terrible game in goal. Mini game he wasn’t much better. Had it had to go to a game 3 he may have bounced back. So, 3 games as it is now or one and done. Now the real test would be best of 7 which will never happen. That’s why Mann Cup is so great.

16. swami24

Hated the mini game gimmick

17. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

i will have to review how i felt about the mini game then....now i think it was a stupid idea.

18. chuckster

Lots of tix available in the upper bowl of Sasktel Center for Saturday's game. C'mon, Saskatoon, this one's actually for the Cup!!

19. swami24

Well they are.up against the three day bomb of the World Chuckwagon races. I went to a site called ToDoCanada. It listed all kinds of activities in Saskatoon this weekend...but not this game

20. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Having never seen an NLL mini-game in my life, I have no idea if it was stupid or not.

I did witness something like that for the 2006 MISL Championship between STL and Baltimore on ESPN 2. I accepted it for what it was : a way to resolve a championship for a league that needs to minimize costs.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018