1. Our Privacy Policy and User Agreement have changed. By using or registering on any portion of this site, you agree to our updated User Agreement and Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome Paul Day as New Wings Coach/GM

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Wings Forum' started by sportsfan747, Jan 19, 2018.

1. sportsfan747

sportsfan747 Member

Welcome to City of Brotherly Love

2. k-hawksfan33

k-hawksfan33 Well-Known Member

Have fun watching your offense sit around in a circle while the point man and a righty attacker pass it back and forth for 20 seconds

RockStar likes this.
  3. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

Uh......nothing is more boring than endless perimeter passing.

4. Gravedigger

Gravedigger Member

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. You have your choice of basically anyone not currently holding a GM slot and you pick whose probably the worst GM in NLL history? Here is a long list some epic fails during Paul Day's reign of incompetence with the Edmonton Rush:

-Rory Glaves over Casey Powell at expansion draft
    -Damien Davies+Jeff Spano+2007 1st for Kerry Susheski+Teddy Jenner+2005 3rd
    -Sandy Chapman+2005 2nd overall (Shawn Evans) for Andrew Turner+Buck Stobart+Cam Bergman, aka the move that ensured the Edmonton Rush would be the laughingstock of the NLL for a decade
    -The entire Edmoton Rush 2005 draft class except Mike McLellan (who Paul Day gave away to Arizona almost immediately)
    -2006 3rd overall (Brett Bucktooth) for AJ Shannon+2006 12th overall (Josh Wasson), Geoff Snider was available at 3rd overall though
    -Kerry Susheski+2007 2nd (16th overall) for Jason Wulder, followed up with Jason Wulder for 2007 2nd (20th overall), seriously wtf?
    -2007 2nd round pick for Ben Prepchuk
    -2007 dispersal draft pick (Andy Secore) for Matt Disher
    -2008 2nd overall (Paul Rabil) for Ian Hawksbee, Rhys Duch was also available (and again taken by the Stealth)
    -2009 1st overall (Sid Smith) for Mike Accursi, Smith for Accursi is actually fine, then you realize this is the 1st overall in a draft which included Billings, Leblanc, Small, Corbeil, Mydske, Priolo, Beers etc...

Every GM makes bad moves. The problem is that Paul Day barely made any good moves to make up for it. Pretty much the only good move he made during his entire tenure was the Stroup/Gill trade. The team itself was a disaster and consistently put up records that were the inverse of what the modern Rush put up. I mean a 1-15 team is unacceptably bad even for an expansion team, how he managed to keep a job for over 2 years is mind boggling. Paul Day can be a solid member of a coaching staff, but as a GM, he left the Edmonton Rush in such a damaged state that it took nearly a half decade to clean up the mess. Awful drafting, awful signing, and even worse trading. Maybe he's learned from his mistakes, but this is not someone who gets the benefit of the doubt.

5. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

Not my first choice. Like I said, how often do you need to rehire the fired

6. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

First questions should have been... what have you learned from your mistakes, and how will you avoid those type of mistakes in the future?

7. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

that's a damning list of 'achievements'.

I feel there are two that you cannot really fault him for, those involving Powell and Rabil.

i cannot see that either of those guys would have reported, and, if you know the guy is not coming to play, you can only compare the alternate pick to whomever else was available.

8. RockStar

for what it is worth, I am not that high on Day as a coach either.......

all those years of stacked to the roof Rochester teams that could win anytime......except when the hardware was on the line.

took the ex Toronto coach to finally punk (a terrible) Rock team from the playoffs and win it all.

9. WingsNut423566

WingsNut423566 Active Member

10. RockStar

i will have to check the timeline, but, I think that Day swapped with Rock, deal of Suddons and Benesch for picks....one of the picks, I believe, was a first rounder in '09 that became either Billings or Leblanc......that trade was a worst-to-first swing for the Rock who won the East and went to the finals.

this was not necessarily a bad swap, but, moving the first pick in that draft year for Accursi was nuts...

11. Gravedigger

Gravedigger Member

The Casey Powell situation: You take the better player and trade him for something better than Rory Glaves.
    The Hawksbee trade was actually done in 2007, the Rush were an awful team and decided to make a panic trade because Andrew Turner was retiring. The pick ended up at 2nd overall. The Stealth used 2nd and 3rd overall on Rabil/Duch which led to a championship. Hawksbee led, uhh, the worst loose ball squad in the NLL in loose balls?

RockStar likes this.
  12. Gravedigger

Gravedigger Member

I think that was a Bob Hamley move. Though Hamley wasn't exactly a great GM himself, he was light years ahead of the joke that was Paul "I traded a 1st rounder for Susheski/Jenner" Day. There's nothing wrong with the Benesch/Suddons for Billings trade honestly, Benesch is actually a better player than Billings at this point. Trading him for Ryan Ward was the misstep (and Keenan quickly realized his mistake and learned from it).
    Watch him botch some obvious picks and take Matt MacGrotty with Jeff Cornwall available, or Jerome Thompson with Johnny Powless available etc.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    RockStar likes this.
  13. RockStar

I hear what you are saying with the Casey Powell pick, but, the teams you might be able to trade with can also figure out that Powell ain't reporting.

I figure if you're lucky you get, like, a second round pick, or, maybe even a warm body like Rory Glaves......

I can see a desire to cut through the crap and get on with getting names lined up for the first week of camp.

So, who was available other than Glaves so we can keep raking Day for his historic performance

Corporal or Vin have a matrix salted away somewhere?:D

14. RockyMaivia

RockyMaivia Active Member

SHOULDA GONE WITH DARRIS KILGOUR AS HEAD COACH.

SPEAKING OF VIN.... WHERE IS HE LATELY?? VIN HAS GONE AWOL!

15. jstraw80

jstraw80 Active Member

lol I like how it says, "Welcome the first GM and Head Coach of the Philadelphia Wings"