Wells Fargo Center upgrades

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Wings Forum' started by swami24, Mar 5, 2018.

1. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

Per the Inquirer, in todays business section, Comcast is going to sink $250 million into the stadium over the next few years.

Many upper teir suites removed
    ice level suites added
    Concourses widened
    seats replaced
    Etc.

I really like the work already done to open up the upstairs common areas at the top of the escallators.

2. BenMitchell

BenMitchell Member

What time of the year are they doing this?

3. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

Summer, which is to not interfere with the Flyers and Sixers.

Which is also the same excuse they're using as to why I can't get my old tickets back. :rolleyes:

4. swami24

Can't see how that would affect ticket sales? They are selling the suites for flyers games. Dumb excuse.

5. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

Whats a ice lvl suite? Would that remove a lot of seating?

6. Wings-4-Life

If it is what I think, it would take out a lot of seats. The Reading Royals added them 2 years ago. Upon a Google search, here's some pics from the Saginaw Spirit. Their suites look the same as Reading.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  7. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

Could be like W4L's picture or, like ACC - In the lowest level they have party suites under the stands. No ice view, these suites are just where you get the "free" beer and munchies.....they come with subscription to 15 whatever platinum tix .

This is why the best seats are always empty when the period starts for a hockey game......networking and guzzling free beer is more important than a stupid hockey game ;)

MILLwasbetter likes this.
  8. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

In fairness, it also doesn't help that the hallways down there are so narrow that barley 2 people can walk side by side, which impedes the flow of traffic :eek: It gets crowded down there even during Rock games in my experience.

9. nickp91

nickp91 New Member

• 8,000 new seats with cupholders
    • Expanded food and beverage offerings
    • Two open air lounges where guests can socialize and watch games
    • New sound system throughout the entire arena

10. swami24

11. Wings-4-Life

12. RockyMaivia

RockyMaivia Active Member

I REALLY DO NOT LIKE THE IDEA OF ICE LEVEL SUITES AT THE NHL LEVEL, ESPECIALLY IF THEY WILL BE LIKE WHAT THE READING ROYALS USE. IF ANYTHING, MAYBE A SUITE THAT IS AT ICE LEVEL WITH THE STANDS BUILT ON TOP OF THEM SO THAT THE FIRST ROW OF FANS AREN'T MILES AWAY FROM THE ACTION, WHILE ALL THE RICH PEOPLE CAN BE NEAR THE ACTION AND MAINTAIN THEIR PRIVACY, WOULD BE THE WAY TO GO :)

13. MILLwasbetter

MILLwasbetter Active Member

I feel like these suites, which the Jacksonville Jaguars and Miami Dolphins have similarly done in their primary sections, are a result of people having shorter attention spans. Go to the game to watch the game, not sit on your phone snap chating the whole time, People cant even focus on a 2 hour hockey game anymore. You will see people standing around hanging out not really watching the game, and when the team scores they will celebrate like they saw what happened.

14. MILLwasbetter

However, Ice level suites would be cool if you raised the normal seats so that your front row was still on the glass or 3 rows from the glass. Leaving the suite with a "patio" are to look around the arena and to walk up to the glass. Similar to how the new Cowboys field level suites are.

15. AmericanRockFan

This irks me to no end. Although I guess the second worst thing to snapchatting and not watching the game is to fixate on and watch those who are snapchatting and not watching the game :p

When I went to Bellator MMA's PPV at Madison Square Garden last June, I could not believe how many people were doing **** on their phone while the fights were going on. Seriously, why pay all that money to go and NOT watch what you paid money for?! :confused: Unless of course it's cooler to brag on social media that you were there than it was to actually be there o_O

16. MILLwasbetter

I think something like this, imagine this on the glass, Where the glass wall is would be the boards, the glass would be right infront of the tall chairs with a little ledge for food/ drink. The normal seats begin above the blue wall in this photo. And the grey roof would not exist, leaving the suite open to the arena. Would make for much better sight lines for general seating.

Attached Files:

17. MILLwasbetter

I was digging around and killing time at work and came across this, the US cellular Center in Cedar Rapids. This is exactly what I was talking about. As you can see, the front row is still up close, but has much better sight lines, you can actually watch the whole game and you are on top of the action, sights and sounds would be much better. The suites are open to the stadium atmosphere, but also have a private area. This is how hockey arenas should be set up.

Attached Files:

18. AmericanRockFan

I'd kinda like something like that. Now, I'd need to see the sightlines from toward the top of the lower level to make sure there's not some sort of obstructed view because of the seating angle, but I'd almost prefer to sit in a front row like that than to be right at ice/field level where I'll have to look through the traffic of the players all game long.

19. swami24

Talked to my ticket rep, they haventt.seen any mock ups, and.they have no idea.what the intentions are. He said that they end up being so expensive, that they don't sell out in other nhl.arenas

20. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

No way they end up looking like the ones in MILLwasbetter's post......I cannot see that you could possibly recover the revenues lost from ripping out several rows of existing top dollar seats.

As Swami mentioned, they'd have to price those boxes to the point of lunacy, and, at a certain point, businesses can't/won't pay for it.

What I could imagine is adding a bit of a division around blocks of the first three rows, and maybe making the seats more deluxe - nicer/wider/whatever.

This scheme probably lets you recover the cost easily.....like, if you put four luxury seats in a space that used to be five premium seats, you might be able to charge more than 20% higher than the old structure, and, then you can break even.....