1. Our Privacy Policy and User Agreement have changed. By using or registering on any portion of this site, you agree to our updated User Agreement and Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement.
    Dismiss Notice

Wells Fargo Center upgrades

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Wings Forum' started by swami24, Mar 5, 2018.

1. MILLwasbetter

MILLwasbetter Active Member

What you're describing is essentially what the Jacksonville Jaguars and Miami Dolphins have done, no reason that it couldn't be done in an NHL arena. What they did was took out chunks of prime time seating, and made a little patio and bar area. In Miami they put in recliners and tvs. Now that's not really my style for in game atmosphere, but I was looking around Key Bank Center during the last leafs home game ;), to make one of these, you would need to remove an area about 10 seats wide, and 3 rows deep. I would prefer to see something like US Cellular, where your first row has a better experience sitting a little higher but right on top of the action, and rich folks who buy boxes can have the glass .

Attached some photos of the jags and dolphions set up. The last picture is jax before the renovations.

Attached Files:

2. MILLwasbetter

found another example from Miami. They removed A LOT of high price seating to make these. They have a bar area inside, and a patio with assigned seating. So your section essentially has private bathrooms and food and drink. 12 people sitting in an area that probably used to seat over 100. This is pretty over the top. 93.jpg

3. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

You are forgetting that these indoor stadiums are multi use. Any structure could not be permanent, like those. These seats will have to work into a retractable area.

4. MILLwasbetter

There is no reason why this wouldn't work in an arena that holds nhl,nba, nll, and concerts. The side sections are permanent they don't move. End sections and corners, absolutely not. But blue line to blue line it would work.

5. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

Not sure about whether it makes financial sense in Toronto........those are all ~$200 seats for Laffs and Raptors and are full every game.

So, if you scrap 100 of those seats and replace 'em with 36, you need to fill them at damned near $600 per game.........not sure if that crosses whatever the breaking point actually is.

6. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I'm sure they'd find someone or some company from the 1% to buy them. But now try explaining to the other 64 rich folks that you're ripping their seats out! :eek:

MILLwasbetter likes this.
  7. RockStar

They might find takers for a number of $685 whatever seats, but, yeah, they'd have to kick a shipload of high rolling season seat holders to the curb to do so.

8. swami24

The first 5 or 7 rows in the lower bowl of the WFC are retractable all the way around. I believe they retract the ends for arena football. Not sure what They would retract the sides for: motocross, truck pulls....

MILLwasbetter likes this.
  9. RockStar

I think in Toronto, for basketball, they can change the slope of the first several rows and add a few rows in front....when I first started going to these games, I used to sit on the glass, but, it was labeled 'row 5' This might only be on the ends and corners, but, I think it also works for some parts of the sides.

that real estate is too valuable to NOT put seats on it ;)

10. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

The Air Canada Centre changes the slopes on the ends for basketball, and I believe when they have events like pro wrestling as well. Come to think of it, I believe Buffalo is one of the few more modern day venues I've been to where they don't have this feature, although in Buffalo they can retract at least one end to accommodate a stage if they need to.

11. swami24

Bottom line is still the bottom line, and.i think we all agree it seems unlikely they can make the money up

12. MILLwasbetter

I didn't realize arenas were doing that with the slopes, That makes sense. Key bank Center is only 21 years old but one of the older arenas in the league now, which is crazy. Probably why they don't have that feature.

I understand the points about moving sth's but if teams in the NFl were willing to dump prime sth tickets in their lower bowls in order to make these terraces, all I am saying is I cant see NHL ruling it out.

13. swami24

I'm in the low 2nd level. But my problem is booting people with accounts that are 30 yr, 40 or charter (51) seat holders. But they did just that when they created Ice Row. I twice sat in the front row behind a goal. The guy was there day One, and eventually passed the ownership to his son. Ice Row doubled the price. They told the Flyers to go pound sand. The tea came back later and offered them 10th row center ice. I think they bailed after 3 years there. Point being they have done this before. Still.sucks.