What’s Next For Floundering Stealth?

Discussion in 'Vancouver Warriors Forum' started by New Fan, May 10, 2018.

1. New Fan

New Fan Active Member

Well, the 2018 season is over, actually was over in March, with a 2-16 season. Not a single win at home before a loyal fan base and their inability to field a team let a 8-10 Roughnecks team make the playoffs which is another story in itself.

Is it a lack of talent, poor management and coaching staff, likely all of the above. The owner, Denise Watkins has some big decisions to make, one being does she want to keep throwing money at a losing franchise. If she doesn’t is it good bye Stealth?

Let’s hope she wants to stay the course. So, how do you improve the team? Players? With lack of draft picks this could be tough. Will the lose any players to the 2 new teams? Would be surprised anyone will be picked from their squad.

Two fixes have to be management and Doug Locker has to go. There must be someone with more knowledge of the game and how to put a successful team together out in the lacrosse world.

The entire coaching staff needs to be let go. An easy decision for a new Head Coach is right in their backyard. Hire Rob Williams, current D coach with the Roughnecks. He is also currently the HC of the Maple Ridge Burrads in the Western Lacrosse Association. Bring him in and let him pick his staff.

Hope something is done to get revive this franchise.

2. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

There is no point flying in that coaching staff when it is damned nearly impossible for a local to lead them to a poorer result.

I would also agree that you need a different GM....They have not had a sniff at a title since 2011, and even though 2017 was only somewhat disappointing-ish (sub .500 at home, .500 overall) they regressed hugely from that, and were clearly undermanned most games this season.

I mean holy ****, a -91 goal differential and a 15+ GAA over an 18 game season, with four games at 20+ might be record setting in the modern era of the NLL. I am not even sure the Ottawa Rebel, NJ Storm, or NY Aints ever averaged -5 per game!

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  3. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Well-Known Member

Their -91 goal differential is 2nd in league history, after the Charlotte Cobras who were -101 in 1996. But the 2018 Stealth set the record for most total goals against. The Stealth have three of the top seven seasons in that list (2018 #1, 2015 #2, 2016 #7).

The Stealth's average of 15.4 goals against in 2018 is 20th in league history but is the worst since 2002.

4. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I get they have the misfortune of playing in an 18-game season when other teams on that list had 12, 14, or 16 game schedules, but damn that is pretty bad......

5. RockStar

I was too lazy to try to find and parse pre-2005 stats, but, I would be most interested in the average margin of loss.

-91 in an 18 game season is -5 per game.

Rebel, Smash, Storm, 'Aints, etc. were all terrible, and lost 2/3, 3/4 whatever of their games every year, but, I don't remember that any of them were outscored by 50% and beaten by an average of 5 per game.

Maybe the Rebel in year 1.....they were similarly unprepared for the rigors of an NLL season, and, that was a pretty dismal year.

6. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Well-Known Member

Ask and ye shall receive... if it's convenient for me, anyway.

The Stealth are 5th in that respect. The Cobras were -10.1 per game (!!), followed by the 2000 Syracuse Smash at -6.0, the 1994 Baltimore Thunder at -5.9, the 2001 Ottawa Rebel at -5.4, then the 2018 Stealth at -5.1.

7. RockStar

Thanks.

Another thought occurs to me - Scores were different in the pre-2000 era - With VAN2018, I think they averaged about 10 GF per game, so, they were shredded at a -33% clip.

Were the other punching bags that bad?

I guess Charlotte probably was, but, with the others, I feel like league scoring might have been at least 20% higher in the 90s, so, maybe the larger arithmetic margin was actually a smaller rational margin?

8. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

If the Stealth want to rebuild, and it looks like they should, they have to get this right and at the right time. I don't know what the draft pool is like that's coming up but you have to look at moving assets for younger blood. Duch or Logan Schuss to San Diego for picks? What about Corey Small to Philly for picks? They could look at moving West guys to San Diego or East guys to Philly. If the Stealth don't make a coach or GM change, then the only other choice is to blow up the roster that was nowhere near good enough and is getting long in the tooth.

9. Rottenrocker

Rottenrocker Active Member

I hope Denise makes the right call and fires the GM, keep the coaching staff for another season. Locker needs to go.

10. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

Relocation or contraction
    It’s hard to go defeated at home in this league
    Even the wings who carted out terrible field players and beer league NALL players didn’t lose every home game

11. New Fan

New Fan Active Member

Rottenrocker, with all due respect, Batley, Alexander and Webster's Best Before Date is long past. Please, get some young new progressive coaching staff that are in tune with the game. San Diego has made the first step in moving in that direction.

12. RockStar

Why on earth would you keep flying in an Ontario coach when you are looking at a "burn this MF to the ground" rebuild?

13. chuckster

Or at least look at some good assistant coaches like Kelusky in NE, McComb in Sask., Kilgour/Tavares in Buffalo or Ferris/Ladouceur in Georgia.

It will be interesting to see how the Seals and Wings end up after year 1. The Seals went with Merrill who has no professional head coaching experience and the Wings went with Day who has coached at this level. Alot will depend on how well they work the expansion draft, free agency and the entry draft.

14. AmericanRockFan

This reflects badly on the offense too, not just the defense. I see they were averaging a meager 8.5 goals per game....

15. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Well-Known Member

Charlotte Cobras scoring leader: rookie Pat McCready with 25 points in 10 games.

16. AmericanRockFan

Seems fitting that a defenseman would be the leading scorer....

17. chuckster

Pat McCready had great speed and I would bet that alot of his points were on transition. And he is from a long line of McCreadys from St. Catharines so he understood the indoor game, especially being the son of one of the greats of indoor lax -- Bob "Buff" McCready.

18. RockStar

McCready was more of a defender / transitionist in the modern era, but, I have seen him do semi-regular minutes up front in Major when there was a problem with lefty depth.......lord knows he might have been more of an attacker in those days too.

19. chuckster

20. Rottenrocker

Rottenrocker Active Member

From what Brad and Jake hinted at on Stealth Classified I'd say that a coaching change is very likely. Dare I hope a GM change as well?