What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Forum' started by TofuBomb, Aug 21, 2018.

1. TofuBomb

TofuBomb Guest

I'm currently making my way through 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Ultimate Collection, Vol. 1." These are the original comics that inspired the later craze. I'm enjoying it!

2. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I'm reading 12 Rules For Life by Jordan Peterson. I know that he's a pretty polarizing figure in the world at the moment, but I wanted to see what the fuss was about and form my own opinion. So far, I agree with some of his stuff at its deepest core, but I don't really care for how he brings religion into the world of psychology. He gets a tad wordy and overzealous with some of his stories too, but otherwise it's an interesting read thus far. I might go see him when he comes to Rochester in two weeks.

Earlier this month I read Ninety Percent Mental by Bob Tewksbury, which was a good book but I felt that it kind of turned into a self-promotional tool in the latter half of the book. In late July/early August I read The Pact by former UFC bantamweight champion Cody Garbrandt, which was a cool autobiographical tale.

Overall, I'd say that I read about a dozen books a year, and often rotate between a psychology book and a sports book.

3. TofuBomb

TofuBomb Guest

Well, I finished the first volume of the TMNT collection. It was a load of fun!

Slowly reading 'Humanity Dick Martin' by Shevawn Lynam. It's about an early animal protectionist.

4. LordStanley1893

LordStanley1893 Active Member

The first volume of the Ghost in the Shell manga.

5. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

The last book I read was:

[​IMG]

6. TofuBomb

TofuBomb Guest

Finished the Humanity Dick Martin book. Starting volume two of the TMNT Ultimate Collection.

7. AmericanRockFan

Now I'm reading Smart Baseball by Keith Law. I'm unsure what I'll choose to read next.

8. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

I am rereading "The Power". It's quite a book.

9. AmericanRockFan

I bought the book The Score Takes Care of Itself on Amazon the other day. I heard Kyle Dubas reference it as a book that he likes, so I figured I'd check it out.

10. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a story that began with, " I cant't believe I am writing this, but it really happened to me... I met this 18 yr old blonde

11. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

It's a good book. Lots of accolades too:
    https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-power-naomi-alderman/1125454421?ean=9780316547611#/

Overview
    The Power by Naomi Alderman
    One of the New York Times's Ten Best Books of 2017
    A Los Angeles Times Best Book of 2017
    One of the Washington Post's Ten Best Books of 2017
    An NPR Best Book of 2017
    One of Entertainment Weekly's Ten Best Books of 2017
    A Bustle Best Book of 2017
    A Paste Magazine Best Novel of 2017
    A San Francisco Chronicle Best Book of 2017
    Winner of the Baileys Women's Prize for Fiction

One of President Obama's favorite reads of 2017

"The Power is our era's The Handmaid's Tale." —Ron Charles, Washington Post

"Novels based on premises like the one at the core of The Power can quickly become little more than thought experiments, but Alderman dodges this trap deftly — her writing is beautiful, and her intelligence seems almost limitless. She also has a pitch-dark sense of humor that she wields perfectly." —Michael Schaub, NPR

A New York Times Book Review Editors' Choice

An Amazon Best Book of 2017

**WINNER OF THE 2017 BAILEYS WOMEN'S PRIZE FOR FICTION**

What would happen if women suddenly possessed a fierce new power?

In THE POWER, the world is a recognizable place: there's a rich Nigerian boy who lounges around the family pool; a foster kid whose religious parents hide their true nature; an ambitious American politician; a tough London girl from a tricky family. But then a vital new force takes root and flourishes, causing their lives to converge with devastating effect. Teenage girls now have immense physical power—they can cause agonizing pain and even death. And, with this small twist of nature, the world drastically resets.

From award-winning author Naomi Alderman, THE POWER is speculative fiction at its most ambitious and provocative, at once taking us on a thrilling journey to an alternate reality, and exposing our own world in bold and surprising ways.

12. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Editorial Reviews

I was riveted by every page. Alderman's prose is immersive and, well, electric, and I felt a closed circuit humming between the book and me as I read…I felt so hungry, reading this book, for a ball of lightning in my hand instead of keys between my knuckles on a long walk home at night. I felt hungry for the victory of these women…over those who would hurt them.

The New York Times Book Review - Amal El-Mohtar

08/28/2017
    Alderman’s science fiction novel, set all over the world, was awarded the Baileys Women’s Prize for Fiction. Sometime in the near future, young women discover they have within them the ability to unleash skeins of electrical current that can maim and kill. One of them, an abused American foster child, joins a group of nuns, reinventing herself as the healer Mother Eve. She promotes a new religion in which Jews look to Miriam, Muslims to Fatimah, Christians to Mary. Her ally is an English crime lord’s daughter named Roxy, whose skein is warrior strong, and whose violent family has global connections. Meanwhile Tunde, an opportunistic photojournalist, manages to break the news of several women’s revolts across the world. The first upheavals are in Saudi Arabia and Moldova, places where women have few rights. But the woman who rules Bessapara, the first nation of the new world order, is unscrupulous and afraid, and she creates further instability by stripping men in her country of all rights and implicitly threatening world war. Roxy runs into trouble trying to keep a lid on this international situation, while Mother Eve convinces herself it might be for the best to start the world anew. Margot, an American politician taught to tap into her skein by her daughter, rises to power in the States, her message becoming more hawkish as she gains influence. But she is corrupted by her addiction to power over her male rivals, and she, too, plays a part in the endgame. Alderman tests her female characters by giving them power, and they all abuse it. Readers should not expect easy answers in this dystopian novel, but Alderman succeeds in crafting a stirring and mind-bending vision. (Oct.)

Publishers Weekly

"Like the best science fiction, this dystopian feminist fantasy holds up a mirror to the here and now."
    Mail on Sunday UK

"The Handmaid's Tale for the Gone Girl generation."
    Grazia UK

"The Power is the stuff of superhero fiction....What starts out as a fantasy of female empowerment deepens and darkens into an interrogation of power itself, its uses and abuses and what it does to the people who have it....her breakout work."
    Claire Armitstead, The Guardian

"A feminist science-fiction story that's about to make waves."
    Red UK

"Thought-provoking."—Glamour UK

"This is a thriller that terrifies and leaves behind a lingering tingle that's part discomfort and part exhilaration. Easy to read,
    hard to put down, difficult to forget."—Cory Doctorow, Boing Boing

"As awesome as it is compulsive."
    Heat UK

"Please, please, PLEASE read Naomi Alderman's The Power. It'll crack your brain open in all the right ways. Such an important, timely book."
    Literary Death Match

"A page-turning thriller and timely exploration of gender roles, censorship and repressive political regimes, The Power is a must-read for today's times."—Lauren Bufferd, BookPage

"Alderman's storytelling is visceral and brave; you'll stay up all night reading after a thousand deals with the clock that you'll put it down after just a few more pages. Gleeful, intelligent, clever, and unflinching, The Power is the kind of book to keep a person going."—Fiona Zublin, Ozy

"Alderman brings an original approach to her storytelling that will jolt readers like a bolt from the blue."—BookPage

"A searing critique of how power is used in a world in which a long-oppressed class can suddenly fight back."—Renay Williams, Barnes & Noble Blog

From the Publisher

13. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

Hey, no problem, I just saw an amusing old penthouse forum reference to make