What are you watching?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Forum' started by TofuBomb, Aug 27, 2018.

1. TofuBomb

TofuBomb Guest

My wife and I recently finished season eight of Shameless on Netflix. We started season six of The Americans on Amazon Prime last night.

2. LordStanley1893

LordStanley1893 Active Member

Orange is The New Black, Last Week Tonight, Attack on Titan & Food Wars!

swami24 likes this.
  3. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

Just finished Orange is the New Black... Shameless is next.

4. TofuBomb

TofuBomb Guest

You're in for a treat!

5. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

Penn and Teller fool us, and Whose line is it anyway?

6. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

I've reached the point in evenings where I either watch some Law & Order rerun, baseball, or one of these movies endlessly rerun on several of the basic cable stations:

• The Godfather
    • The Godfather, Part II
    • GoodFellas
    • The Shawshank Redemption
    • Forrest Gump
    • The Green Mile
    • Any Dirty Harry movie
    • National Lampoon movies
    • Also Saving Ryan's Privates which is on during the warm holiday weekends or Cast Away which sometimes gets some love.
    I don't bother with any of the dozen or so Transformers/comic book movies also on these stations.

On weekends, I do feel a guilty pleasure of occasionally watching Lifetime movies.

If I could, I'd just watch Nick Jr. but I only care about:
    • Blue's Clues
    • Peppa Pig
    • Hey Duggee
    • Ben and Holly's Little Kingdom
    and maybe Max and Ruby if I am in the mood to look at annoying fat bunnies for 30 minutes.

In the morning during the week while getting ready for work, I'll have on the local CBS (WFSB-3) morning show with the flaming and openly gay weatherman and the perky blonde traffic girl and then CBS This Morning.

EDIT:
    PS: Tonight, it's The Shawshank Redemption on AMC or Sundance, I believe.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  7. swami24

Time for you to get busy living, or get busy dying.

8. TofuBomb

TofuBomb Guest

Why are you watching Blues Clues, etc?

9. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

I love Blue's Clues.
    It is one of the most brilliant shows ever created.
    It is a masterpiece of engineered television.
    The quality is unsurpassed....

... until they created "Blue's Room" in which Blue was a fuzzy talking puppet who sounded like a young Jody Foster who we all knew was going to be a lesbian even in the 1970s when she was a kid.

Anyway, as an adult engineer, you can see in Blue's Clues the workmanship and thought that went into creating a superior program for very young children. It's unparalleled, even today.... which is why they are bringing it back.

The other 3 shows are British kids shows and they are simply funny as hell even if you are an adult.

For instance, in Ben and Holly's Little Kingdom, there are fairies (such as Holly) and elves (such as Ben).
    Fairies use magic, elves do not and abhor it. This is a running theme through the show.
    Every once in a while, there is "No Magic Day", so the fairies have to trudge along like normal "big people" (us). However, this presented a problem for the elves as well. The de facto leader of the elves is "The Wise Old Elf" and the elves are very productive; in fact, they make the magic wands for the fairies. Well, in the Elf Factory, there is The Great Elf Engine whose fuel is .... magic! So, why does The Great Elf Engine run on magic if the elves abhor magic? The Wise Old Elf explains that magic: "has a very low carbon footprint". No little kid is going to get that, but that is hilarious. Each 30-minute episode of BHLK has two stories.

Peppa Pig is a famous show so you can look that up, but it is excellent as well; each 30-minute episode of Peppa Pig has 5 or 6 stories.

Hey Duggee is just a very addictive show that is rather funny especially with its visuals. It has to be seen to be believed. Hey Duggee has about 2 or 3 stories per 30-minute episode. The premise of Hey Duggee is that Duggee, a big brown dog who only says "Woof!" is the scout leader for an after-school scouting group of young children known as the Squirrels. There are 5 Squirrels:
    Tag, a well-mannered calm rhino.
    Happy, a very happy but not-too-bright crocodile who was adopted by an elephant.
    Roly, a boisterous hippo, also not very bright.
    Betty, a perky octopus
    Norrie, a sweet but talky mouse.

HeyDuggee.jpg

Every episode starts with the narrator saying to one of the Squirrels who is doing something at home, "[name], isn't it time for ..." and then the Squirrel yells out "Duggee!" Then that Squirrel goes with a parent to the clubhouse (each Squirrel uses a different mode of transportation).
    The narrator then says the title of the episode with "The [whatever] Badge".
    The episode starts with the Squirrels playing in the clubhouse and the narrator asks "Hello Squirrels. I wonder what Duggee has planned for you today." They gasp then rush out to see Duggee and ask "Hey Duggee! Whatcha doin'?" Duggee will then point or do something in some way and say "Woof!" The episode continues and the focus of an episode is that the kids need to earn an activity badge just like in Boy/Girl Scouts. Once the kids have earned their badge, the narrator says "Here come your parents." or something like that. Then he says "Time for just one more thing...." and the Squirrels yell out "Duggee hug!" and Duggee holds all 5 hugging them with one of them (we can't see who) quietly saying "Duggee hug". The Squirrels then simultaneously show their parents their badge, get hugs from their parents, and then they all go home. The narrator then says to Duggee something like "Well Duggee, wasn't that fun?" or some other comment about today's episode. Duggee usually goes "Woof!" and something funny happens. Cut to credits.

Both Peppa Pig and Hey Duggee have lots of adult humor; the British are smart recognizing that many parents are watching these shows with their little kids so, to maintain adult interest, they inject all sorts of things adults/parents can laugh at or knowingly nod yes to.

Even though I am not a parent, these shows are all addictive.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  10. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Well-Known Member

Not too judgemental.

11. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

I'm not being judgmental, but that was a major shift in Blue's Clues when they changed the last 5-10 minutes of the show to the puppet. It ruins the previous nature of the Blue - in fact, she is considerably different as a talking puppet than she is as a cartoon puppy. Some say the show "junped the shark" when Steve left being replaced by Joe. I don't think so, but, after they introduced Blue's Room, the show quickly tanked.

Blue's Clues: 10 years, 143 episodes.
    Blue's Room: 2 years, 17 episodes.

12. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I won't lie. Even at my age, sometimes when the mail arrives I'll sing the "The Mail Is Here" song from Blue's Clues to myself.....

13. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

One time, around 2003 or 2004, it was early Saturday morning and my wife and I were in the waiting room at Sears Automotive having our car worked on. Blue's Clues was on CBS on the TV in the waiting room. Another woman was also waiting and sitting a few seats from me reading or something. It was just us 3. In the episode, a clue has just been found and Steve (or Joe, I forget which) says something like "So now we need our handy, dandy ...." and I yell out "Notebook!". The woman looks at me as my wife puts her face in her palm shaking her head.

14. swami24

When lil Swami was quite young, she loved cous cous, but couldnt.pronounce it, so it became Blues Clues for her. That stuck.

15. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Well-Known Member

I wasn't talking about Blue's Clues, I was talking about your comment about Jodie Foster being gay, and your ability to "tell" even when she was a kid. First off, who cares? And secondly, what did that have to do with the rest of the conversation?

For the record, my kids LOVED Blue's Clues and I agree that the puppet thing was a bad idea.

16. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

1. As a supporter of gay rights, I don't care if Jodie Foster is gay.

2. No, I didn't know Jodie Foster was gay when I was a kid because I didn't even know what "gay" was other than being happy and the first name of various people. That said, yes, there was definitely something different about Jodie Foster and you could see that from her guest appearance on The Partridge Family and regular guest appearances as Eddie's best friend on The Courtship of Eddie's Father. Jodie was like a "Tomboy-squared" in those roles - she was definitely different than any other child actress of the time. I am older than you by several years at least, so you likely may not be aware of some of this.

Anyway, what I wrote before may have come out a bit wrong; I certainly didn't know Jodie Foster was going to be gay a long time ago (she is 2 months older than me) because I did not know what that meant 50 years ago, but it was obvious as a kid that "there was something very different about her". Had I been an adult in 1970, yes, she would have been a blip on a gaydar and that is what I meant by my original comment that "we all knew she was going to be a lesbian".

3. Why is bringing up Jodie Foster relevant? I brought up Jodie Foster because that is what Blue, the puppet, sounded like. Because of Jodie's obvious differences as a girl almost 50 years ago and Blue sounding like her, that changes the interpretation of Blue. In short, her voice and speech gave her personality attributes somewhat akin to the roles played by Jodie Foster, the child actress. These are traits that Blue did not have as a speechless cartoon.

17. TofuBomb

TofuBomb Guest

I've been watching a lot of Sesame Street recently, because I have an eight-month-old daughter. It's interesting to see how the show has changed over the years. I've watched it in three different eras — when I was a kid, when my sister was a kid, and now while my daughter is a kid.

18. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

You probably don't remember Mister Hooper, do you. When he died, that was big news for Sesame Street because no one was sure how the show was going to address it, but they did in an honest fashion with some female character telling Big Bird that Mister Hooper had died.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Hooper#Death_of_Mr._Hooper

19. TofuBomb

TofuBomb Guest

Finished The Americans with my wife. Bummer ending, but it felt right. It's really an amazing show that I'd recommend to pretty much anyone.

Finished Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan on my own. Weird seeing John Krasinski as an action guy, but I think it fits him.