What do you think the off season will look like?

Discussion in 'Vancouver Stealth Forum' started by mooseantlers, May 18, 2017.

1. mooseantlers

mooseantlers Guest

We have traded away all of our first round picks until 2020. How detrimental will this situation be for the Stealth? Do you believe we have enough developing talent to go without a pick for this long and maintain momentum? They had better not get rid of any young players.. And Belanger absolutely needs to stay, I don't really think we should do much of anything in the off season, looking at the roster right now. What do you guys think?

2. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

Wow, the Stealth don't even have 2nd rounders until the 2019 draft. There are a bunch of guys on the roster around 30 years old and this is becoming a young man's league so maybe 1 more year is fine but they need to start positioning themselves for future drafts.

Your leading scorers are not overly old -- Small (29), Duch (30), Schuss (26), Durston (23)
    Your goaltending isn't overly old either -- Richards is 31 and Belanger is 26.
    Your D has some mileage on it.
    Team PP and PK was middle of the pack.
    Team LBs was dead last by almost 11 compared to the 8th place team.
    Team FO% was 8th out of 9.

They could make some tweaks but given what they have, they should still be competitive for 2nd in the West for the next 2-3 years. Their best asset is being in BC and being able to draw BC players. That makes it tough to find trading partners from the East but maybe free agency would have some options.

3. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

billings to Calgary for a 2nd?

4. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

Management didn't think he was good enough to play righty attack for a .500 team.......Will Calgary agree it's worth a gamble when they're in a rebuild cycle themselves??

5. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Member

Who'd have thought Billings would end up in a conversation about a trade for a 2nd rounder?

6. New Fan

New Fan Member

Don't think there is a chance period that Billings goes to Calgary. Why would they need another rightie when you have Dickson, Berg and Digby. Besides don't think Billings has ever been the same since his injury.
    On other changes, Smith, Hawesbee and Hodgson need to be replaced. Will Haas, Garrison or Lintz be in the lineup next season?

7. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

he has hurt his own value

8. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

looks like he'll be joining athan iannucci in I screwed myself out of the nll team.

9. Dave S-C

Dave S-C Active Member

This. They are in a stronger free-agent position than most teams. Personally if I were building a team, I'd rather take risks going with known quantities via free agency than unknown crapshoot via the entry draft. If you look at how the Ravens built their teams, it wasn't done much through the draft.

10. unspoken

unspoken Member

I wouldn't call it a full benefit. It also limits who they might pursue in a draft, trade or free agency if it's an Ontario or Eastern US guy.

They're also limited in who they can bring out from the east by way of playing in a 5000 seat arena that is generally about 70-75% full. Travel costs for players from the east can add up and they have to be selective about who they take from the east because of that.

There's certainly a benefit but there's also drawbacks.

11. mooseantlers

mooseantlers Guest

Would I be crazy to think that building our team off the Ravens model is a bad idea? They were on a downturn for their entire (albeit short) history.

12. cdngoalie

cdngoalie Member

some good BC grown talent in the NLL draft this year. Durston is the player with the highest trade value on the Stealth he is young, grinder with soft touch around the net and an eastern player who relocates. Eastern teams want that kind of player. Rochester has 3 first round picks 2,5,6 i believe and Georgia has 3 first round picks 4,7 and 8or9. Georgia has Jesse King who depending on how healthy he is i would try and get back in BC.

13. RockyMaivia

RockyMaivia Member

THE ARDSMORE AARDVARK TO THIS DAY STILL REFERS TO THE VANCOUVER FRANCHISE AS THE RAVENS, SO IT'S NOT A BAD IDEA AT ALL.

14. unspoken

unspoken Member

Not many east teams want to take on west players though. I think I read that only 6 west guys played for east teams this year.

It will be interestingto see what Georgia does. Right now their only holes to fill are maybe on defense. But they are also likely losing money hand over fist, so Arlotta could very well go Arlotta again and start selling off star players, especially if they win the cup this year. Then they would need those picks they have this year.

Vancouver's likeliest trade partner to move into the first round this year would be Saskatchewan, but they probably would want picks in return instead of players since they don't have many holes to fill either. And Vancouver's best pick they still have at this point is a 2nd rounder in 2019.

15. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

That was the failed management approach of the old Wings owners. Frankly, you are screwed.

dougm likes this.