what type of attendance would be a success?

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Wings Forum' started by BenMitchell, Feb 4, 2018.

1. jstraw80

jstraw80 Active Member

The Wings demise happened in the early 2000's when the marketing department/Wings director decided to switch the appeal of game atmosphere.
    I know exactly what happened, when the decision happened and who in management wanted that direction.

Wings at that moment switched to "family friendly" which is never what the original fan base was. I enjoyed the game, but also enjoyed just going and having fun with friends. Once the they switched to that format and the team wasn't winning, it was boring and no-one wanted to go.

Wings games were like Wingbowl (without the flashing), which was a party. I miss that.

MILLwasbetter likes this.
  2. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

I bet the not winning part had much more to do with it than switching the format. Sure, they went hand in hand but I wonder if the drop off would have been alot less if the team was winning.

3. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

Agreed. The entire league switched to family-friendly around that time.

I think the days of sellouts in 19,000 seat buildings will never return (for the whole league, not just Philly) since the niche is gone. It's now just a second tier sport like arena football. Regular sports fans looking for something else to do.

4. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

Stripper twister was after the last championship. There was a smarmy marketing attempt after 2001. Attendance still dropped due to lack of true marketting.

They then tried the family approach, as the league wussified. Their idea of.marketting was billboards and youth league group discounts. The team still just got a sniff of coverage on comcast sportsnight, and zero on tv news.

The key is looking at how the Union got coverage from the start. The Pwfc is in place, better than the made up Sons of Ben, which was owner induced. They still found regular tv news coverage. Comcast should be able to produce that.

Beating the societal trend.away from attending live events will still be a.challenge.

5. Rick716

Rick716 Active Member

I think 10,000 would be a realistic goal. I think something similar to Calgary considering their co-ownership with the Flames.

But with so many options and with such a short attention span of many 15-25 year olds, advertising and media coverage is key.

If they are going to use the same in-game blasting music presentation found other places, you have to balance that in a way that doesn't drive away people that aren't interested in that.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  6. jstraw80

jstraw80 Active Member

Sell out the bottom bowl and do not open up the upper level.

7. Wings-4-Life

"Found" being the key word. The Union were a hot ticket 7-ish years ago, or however long they've been around, nobody watches ******* soccer anyway. They've already dropped to 19th out of 22 in league attendance.... they were 4th in their first year.

8. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

In the grand scheme of things, Union attendance hasn't fallen off that much. Yes, they're ranked lower but attendance has only gone down 3,000/game over the last 7 years, so it's not like it's a massive discharge. Meanwhile, the rest of the league has seen increases in attendance for the most part.

Perhaps nobody watches soccer in Philadelphia anymore, but MLS is probably the healthiest that it's ever been right now.

9. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

That would be the ideal way to do it. Don't open the upper level for tickets until you have enough demand.

10. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

A good freind of mine was a union sth, but they did something that pissed him off, and he dropped his tickets. Unfortunately, I never got the full story as to what happened.

11. LordStanley1893

LordStanley1893 Active Member

They also haven't had a great teams for most of their existence (only two playoff seasons). It is worth noting that their main drops in attendance were from 2010 to 2011 & 2016 to 2017. Outside of that they've been stable with a so so team. That have some good pieces but they don't utilize all of their designated player slots and rank in the middle for team salary (though you have teams like Houston who spent way less and made the playoffs).

As you've said, MLS has never been better and I imagine ownership is in it for the long haul.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  12. Wings-4-Life

I'm sure clown shoes Nick Sakiewicz was involved somehow.

13. MILLwasbetter

MILLwasbetter Well-Known Member

With over a year to properly promote, build hype, and get involved with and interact in the community, yes I can.

14. MILLwasbetter

This and your post prior to it are spot on.

Just wondering, the group that owns the team, owns the arena correct? So they probably just want to fill dates and collect extra revenue from what you mentioned- parking, merchandise, food, beer. Target your AFL crowd, that was a success in Philly wasn't it? Target young adults that have some disposable income, target the people that cant afford to take the family to an overly expensive NHL game. Price the tickets no higher than $25-30, have upper bowl at $70 for the season like SD. Get people hooked, and then they will pay more for better seats if the product is something they want. Have group packs that give you 4 tickets, a snack a drink and a tee shirt. Get people there and have fun with this, this ownership group can do that, Comcast isn't going to get rich by having an NLL team. It's a hobby, as long as they aren't losing money they should keep it around. If you have $70 seasons that allows younger people to have a cheap night out, when I was in college I got a group of 10 dudes to get seasons because of the price and because I presented it as a cheap and fun pregame to going out to the bars afterwards. Back then I had a life and went out drinking. They have so much time to get this right, and so far seems that they are doing so, that if they don't get it right it will be a monumental disappointment.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  15. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

When's the expansion draft going to be? I say that because while I agree with you that they have over a year to promote, build hype, and interact with the community, it's hard to do that to it's full potential until you have some players that you can start to promote and introduce to the community. Once the Wings have some players, anyone who's NLL caliber who you can bank on being on the 2019 roster, then they can really start to connect with the community.

Until then though, while it sounds like they're making good strides, I just wonder how much they can really do outside of reaching the former Wings fanbase.

I agree with your other post also. I'd ideally like to see Comcast use the Wings as the "cheap night out" option for the 18-34 demo, who can come down, go to a game, and then maybe hit up Xfinity after (for those who are 21+ anyways).

MILLwasbetter likes this.
  16. WingsNut423566

WingsNut423566 Active Member

I think the expansion draft will be in July. The league wants the draft done before free agency starts IIRC.

17. MILLwasbetter

Expanding on my last post. They're the freakin' wings. Pair up with a nearby brewery or bar and have wing night. 2 hours Pre and post game have $2 drafts and 25 cent wings with a ticket. Stream the away games and have the same deal during the game. Have the cheerleaders there. And the players there post home games.

Some of the ideas we have in here, it's a wonder none of us are in marketing...