What's everyone listening to these days?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Forum' started by sslaxfan, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Vin

Vin Active Member

There's a reason why they lost to Ghost's "Cirice" for "Best Metal Performance" at the 2016 Grammy Awards...
    Almost all good metal stopped being made by the time Bill Clinton became president.

smurf666 likes this.
  2. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

It's not too loud, you're just too old! :)

My favourites pre-date 2000 as well, but, there has been plenty of quality since then. From both new acts, and rejuvenated legacy acts.

Just have to listen with an open mind, and, evaluate each track and album on its own merits....without getting bogged down in how it compares to the stuff you were listening to when you were young, healthy, and having the time of your life.

3. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I'm getting guilty of this as well already. Thank God for XM radio, because the majority of the time when I have to listen to standard radio stations while traveling and I get stuck listening to some crappy station I think things like "...this is what people (kids) listen to nowadays? This is crap!"

At the same time though, I usually find I like most of my favorite band's earlier work more than their later stuff, such as Korn. I like their late 90s/early 00s stuff but don't care much for their more recent stuff.

4. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

it's hard. The golden oldies were playing when you were having fun.

now, you hear the new stuff while you have crap like bills, and loans, and kids, and home maintenance......no wonder it sounds less good!

5. AmericanRockFan

That, and I read a study a while back that talked about how as you age it becomes more difficult to process new unfamiliar music. I was never big into biopsychology, so I can't remember all the fine details as to why that's the case.

6. Vin

Vin Active Member

I have. It doesn't matter. Sure, some things are relative and some things are not. For example, the stuff that comes out of your ass is just as stinky today as it was in any other decade; **** is still **** no matter what the generation.

7. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

I have been playing 21 pilots alot. Wxpn, the univ of Penn radio station plays Funky Friday every Friday from 4 to 7, and that is a no miss for me. They mix old school and new stuff. They have an app so I listen on my iPad. Of course it is enhanced with beverages, cigars, and chilling with the paper and puzzles. I. Full funk mode right now.

8. Vin

Vin Active Member

"Swami wants the funk
    Give up the funk
    Swami needs the funk
    He gotta have that funk"

[​IMG]

9. swami24

Hah, driVing to MD this afternoon I was listening to the XM Soul Town and they ran a promo saying "after they encyclopedia but before computers." No mention of Wagnalling. :p

10. k-hawksfan33

k-hawksfan33 Active Member

New Gorillaz album is worth a listen if anyone likes alternative and hip hop.

11. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

lots of non-shït since 2000, but, you'll never find it with that attitude.

I stream a number of different virtual radio stations, and occasionally I find a gem worthy of streaming the associated album and even multi album playlists.

it ain't Master of Puppets, sure, but, that's fine, it's not supposed to be......if I want 87, I will cue up that, Peace Sells, Among the Living, Reign in Blood.

Thing is, I dont always want 87, and I feel that life is too short to take an album i have heard 150 times and work energetically on hearing it 250 times.

no matter, do what you will. Just realize that the history of metal since 2000 is already over half the duration of the pre 2000 period....I would never call myself an affixionado if I ignored 1/3 of recorded history .

12. AmericanRockFan

I've heard good things about it. I was a fan of theirs in high school, so I definitely should give this one a shot.

13. MrWilson

MrWilson Member

I am also too old for mosh pits, but sometimes find myself in them. Took my son (12 years old) to Anthrax/Slayer back in September, so he got his first dose of the pit (albeit it on the outskirts). We're going to Philly for Metallica next week. Haven't seem them since 1991, so I'm looking forward to it.

smurf666 likes this.
  14. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

Raising 'em right!

My eldest youngster has seen Iron Maiden, and, is slated for Metallica in July. General admission comes in a few more years.....if I don't lose them to whatever passes for teeny bopper music today.

I was at the Toronto Slayer show in September, and am catching Anthrax/Killswitch Engage/The Devil Wears Prada tonight at Danforth.

The legacy bands are still making solid music, and some of the "newer" ones are expanding the sub genres in interesting ways.

15. AmericanRockFan

If the Franz Ferdinand concert at Danforth was on a weekend and not on a Friday, I'd give serious thought to making that trip.

16. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

Danforth Music Hall is a great venue for a show up to a certain size....100 year old Vaudeville theatre converted for rock n roll. Floor is GA standing, balcony has reserved seats. Nice thing about the floor is that it slopes, so the view at the back is still top drawer.......Parked myself in front of the sound booth and had a great view of the stage the pit and the crowd surfing down front.

TDWP was fantastic metalcore. Killswitch as good as hoped. Anthrax, the elder statesmen, played a thoroughly enjoyable nostalgia set going deep into Among the Living.

17. swami24

Sounds like the Fillmore or Trocedero in Philly.

18. AmericanRockFan

I had to look her up on Wikipedia to see what she's up to these days...

19. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

In other wonderful Toronto live music news:

https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/music/2017/05/02/masonic-temple-returns-as-concert-venue-in-june.html

This place can deal with shows up to a similar size as Danforth can deal with, and was a wonderful place to see a few acts when it was still operating as a concert theatre until about 20 years ago

Hosted everything from James Brown to David Bowie to Led Zeppelin to Pantera to Grandmaster Flash.

Was an active Masonic Temple until early/mid 90s, and, I always had a chuckle about a meeting being set to an ambient background of Slayer's Hell Awaits or some such!

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  20. BigDave

BigDave Active Member

I'm usually listening to stations on my phone like TuneIn, Radioid, iHeart or ESPN. They have specialty genres that are tailored to my tastes.