Whats Going On In BC

Discussion in 'Vancouver Ravens Forum' started by saugin, Nov 27, 2010.

1. saugin

saugin New Member

Who are the Sedin Twins?

2. sedins.jpg

These ladies answer to the moniker Sedin Twins

3. laxboxgoalie

laxboxgoalie New Member

That is true but even if their was a team in Vancouver the media would still consider it to be bush league. The vancouver sun wouldn't write an article about lacrosse period they never and never will. The Province on the other hand would run a couple of articles but thats probably it like they do in the summer where they run an article once a week.

For media wise in Vancouver, you have to realize that the Canucks and hockey will take up half the sport section, the Giants, BC Lions and Vancouver Whitecaps will get all the attention because they are where all the demand is in Vancouver for sports.

4. Dave S-C

Dave S-C Active Member

Well, to be fair, the Province has run some articles on the Stealth this season, which I thought was surprising on their part.

5. saugin

saugin New Member

3,600 in attendance last night for the Washington game. What a waste. Team should be in B.C. Only good thing is the home team did win.

6. saugin

saugin New Member

Same story last night. About 3,800 in attendance.

7. laxboxgoalie

laxboxgoalie New Member

Your expecting something to change the have average somewhere between 3,500 -4,500 since they arrived with a couple of outliers. With them agreeing for another 5 year lease just get used to it.

8. saugin

saugin New Member

What I want to get used to is seeing a team from B.C. playing. A shame all those B.C. players performing in an arena that's half empty.

9. Dave S-C

Dave S-C Active Member

We all do... but like many of us from around Vancouver keep telling you "yeah, but what building?" :doh:

10. saugin

saugin New Member

That big building that is home to a Jr. Hockey team. I know the story so I don't have to hear it again.

What a waste.

11. MVLaxFan

MVLaxFan New Member

While the attendance figures in Everett are not where anyone would like to see them, it is tiresome seeing all the posts about how the team should be in B.C. I go to WLA games in the summer and those barns aren't anywhere near half full let alone at capacity.

12. laxboxgoalie

laxboxgoalie New Member

So true to that everyone made a big deal about the numbers out at the LEC this year for that exhibition game but 2 summers ago their was more people at that exhibition game than the Mann Cup which doesn't make sense to me. I would rather watch any Mann Cup game that exhibition game.

The only time I have seen a full barn was game 6 and 7 in the Mann Cup in 2009, and New West made that building pretty packed the whole series.

the only teams that draw half decent crowds in the WLA are New West and Vic, not sure about Coq haven't been to one of those games for a while.

13. saugin

saugin New Member

The idea is that B.C. should have a team, not that Everett should lose its' team

It's immaterial if it is a franchise transfer or an expansion.

14. MVLaxFan

MVLaxFan New Member

That is a different opinion than you have had in previous posts within this thread. I think we would all love to see some sort of I-5 rivalry with teams in Portland, Washington, and the greater BC area.

15. saugin

saugin New Member

The rivalry in lacrosse is the Mann Cup, and that is Ontario and B.C. Just get an NLL team in BC and the local rivalries will develop, or not.

16. Dave S-C

Dave S-C Active Member

It wasn't that long ago New West struggled to get 400-500 in the stands while the Adanacs were around 1000 to 1100. Last New West game I went to, there was probably 600 tops.

17. laxboxgoalie

laxboxgoalie New Member

So true with that Dan Richardson done a great job in New West to getting butts in the seats compared to most other teams.

really it like any other sport if you are not winning you wont be getting people in the seats. New West had that period just like coquitlam has. The only thing is wit how big those 2 minor associations are if they put out a good WLA team they will get fans to show.

Also I have only really been following lacrosse for the last 7 or 8 years and that was the time New West started getting their fans back.

18. Dave S-C

Dave S-C Active Member

Coquitlam probably also benefits from playing on a Saturday night. I haven't been there for a game in around 8 years but they used to fill the old Poirier to the rafters (which sat I think 1,100 to 1,300 range) - but I used to wonder if they'd get that kind of crowd if they played there on a Sunday, Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday night?

For whatever reason - likely as you say, strong minor support - New West seems to get fans out on Thursdays, although crowds have varied there over the years by more than 2x to 3x/4x (i.e. 300 in lean years to 900-1200 range in some playoffs). But the Bellies and Adanacs also seem to have strong community support pulling behind them. Lakers on the other hand, you hear or see no presence about them in Burnaby.

19. laxboxgoalie

laxboxgoalie New Member

Know about Burnaby did they have strong minor support for the WLA team or JRA when their JrA team was appearing in all those Minto's. Because it seems like Burnaby minor systems has taking a step backwards compared to most other ones in the area of size and competing at the higher levels.

20. Dave S-C

Dave S-C Active Member

Probably support for Jnr A... because the Snr A Lakers were lucky to draw more than 100-150 a game back then, and many of the faces were the same direhards you'd see at New West/Coquitlam/North Shore, etc games.