Where do you think the next two expansion franchises should be?

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by Trenton Beisel, Dec 8, 2018 at 12:14 AM.

1. What do you guys think?

2. AFedyk

AFedyk Guest

New York Tuesday
    Either Boston or SF after that

3. fandit

fandit Well-Known Member

Hamilton. Now that we have the one owner/two franchise strategy, Mr Styres should be rewarded for his years of service to the league with a franchise in Hamilton.
    I know there are territorial problems, but it would be great for rivalries with Toronto and Buffalo.

4. toad455

toad455 Member

New York & San Francisco.

5. R.J

R.J Guest

New York and San Francisco.

6. BigDave

BigDave Active Member

Yeah, and it would just about kill Buffalo. Remember when the Ontario Raiders were in Hamilton, Buffalo's attendance plummeted.

7. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

That’s a bit of a reach,
    The raiders existed 1 year, buffalo had poor attendance over a 5 year period in the early 00s

8. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

Raiders and early years of Rock coincided with a downturn in Buffalo's fortunes.

I think it was mostly coincidental......except for that Bartley leaving for Toronto and stealing a great player thing.

9. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

1998 was a Les Wakeling year....so that explains alot. :p

10. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Wasn't there also a theory that a lot of the Native Americans in the Buffalo/Niagara region boycotted the Bandits out of anger for Ted Nolan being let go as the Sabres coach?

11. chuckster

I recall that but I think there were larger factors working against the 1998 Bandits -- a mediocre team that wasn't producing results like it did in the 5-6 years prior and a move to a new arena where prices were jacked up. Hiring Darris Kilgour as head coach got the on-floor product better, made some amends with Native fans and the Bandits held the line on ticket prices for a couple of years where I think they may have also reduced prices here and there.

12. tydoggz

tydoggz Member

I do not think a team in Hamilton would hurt Buffalo. Being someone who is from Hamilton with Bandits season tickets, there are not many people crossing the border with me on game days. And my guess the majority of Ontario Bandits fans would come from the Niagara region and they may still elect to dive to Buffalo than Hamilton as it is about the same distance and easier commute.

Toronto may struggle on the other hand. I am unsure how many Rock fans come from downtown Toronto or East of Toronto versus West of Toronto as those fans west of Toronto may opt to go to Hamilton than Toronto.

However, at the end of the day, I do not think (unfortunately) Hamilton would draw enough to sustain a franchise. Now if Styre was the owner he would have the means to do so and would be able to draw from Six Nations.

BanditsRock11 likes this.
  13. Bandits37

Bandits37 Member

I'm glad the Bandits aren't chasing the Native fans anymore. As one it hurts me to say but really there's no loyalty there and they're not real Bandits/any team fans, they just kinda root for whoever has the most Native players on it. That was proven when Styre bought the 'Hawks and a ton of them jumped ship. Better off focusing on securing more reliable/closer fans instead of constantly trying to appease a group that will turn its back on you (with a few exceptions of course) for any perceived slight and honestly doesnt have as much buying power/upside to justify bending over backwards for.

14. chuckster

If you look solely at the comments on the Bandits Facebook page, there is truth in your comments.

15. BIG E NY

BIG E NY Member

Interesting to see Nashville rather than SF mentioned as the next potential expansion team. In that case move the Swarm to SF instead.

16. BanditsRock11

BanditsRock11 Well-Known Member

I love the stupid point that is wrong and never proven whenever Hamilton comes up about it having any sort of meaningful impact on buffalo whatsoever.

People act like thousands of people come down from hamitlon to buffalo. I’d be shocked to be proven 100 people even do.

17. AmericanRockFan

Toronto would certainly be hit harder than Buffalo would be by a Hamilton franchise. If Ontario has to get another NLL team, I’d way rather see Windsor get one.

18. Andrew GEA

Andrew GEA Guest

I think the heritage game will be a good example as to why the NLL won't be in Hamilton

19. Andrew GEA

Andrew GEA Guest

I read today on TSN that an ownership group was looking at relocating a WHL team into Winnipeg / mts centre... If they decide not to go with the hockey due to scheduling conflicts , they may want an NLL team to fill some dates !

20. AmericanRockFan

Well in fairness that game wasn’t marketed very well. Lacrosse is such a niche sport that a game like that, or even the WILC, doesn’t get much attention from casuals unless the NLL is promoting it - and even that doesn’t direct much attention to it.