Where do you think the next two expansion franchises should be?

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by Trenton Beisel, Dec 8, 2018.

1. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

So they’re gonna somehow have hockey 113 days a year at that rink? I’m sure there will be plenty of doubleheaders, but damn that’s a ton.

2. R.J

R.J Guest

I think we see both in the League, and I wonder how much longer the Arlotta's and the NLL continue in Georgia.

3. Wingslax1426

Wingslax1426 Guest

From the pictures of their new offices they built which looks like they spent a nice chunk of change on I have a feeling they will be here a while

4. R.J

R.J Guest

Playing out of the BellMTS Centre is only temporary according to the speculation - supposedly a 5,000 seat arena will be built for the WHL team. I'd love to see the NLL in Winnipeg.

5. R.J

R.J Guest

I've seen them as well, but I don't see that market lasting. Why they even moved there in the first place still has me scratching my head.

6. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Middle school kids or opposing fans ragging on the proposed NY team names:

New York Force = New York Farce
    New York Riptide = New York Rip Farts
    New York Beacons = New York B-team, New York Be Convicts, New York Bacons, etc.

7. toad455

toad455 Member

8. toad455

toad455 Member

Like it's been mentioned before, how much expansion is too much. We'll be up to 13 next season and it appears 16 teams is easily within reach. But maybe 18 or even 20 now?

2019-2020: Halifax, New York, Dallas? [14 reams]
    2020-2021: Edmonton, Nashville & San Francisco [17 teams]
    2021-2022: Winnipeg, Montreal & Boston [20 teams]

9. R.J

R.J Guest

I think it's only Halifax and New York for 2019-2020 as it stands. There was supposed to be another announcement, but nothing since Sakewicz brought it up in one of his interviews. Nashville, San Fran, Boston, Edmonton, Dallas, Houston, Montreal, and Minnesota are all thought to be speaking with the League, but my best guess would be San Fran and Nashville at this point. I wonder what the hold up in Edmonton is - we know Katz is interested, Sakewicz even toured the arena after it was built, and yet crickets...

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    BIG E NY likes this.
  10. TofuBomb

TofuBomb Guest

Calling it the National Lacrosse League seems like a bit of a misnomer with so many Canadian teams.

11. R.J

R.J Guest

Same as the NHL and CHL have Canadian and American teams. CWHL has teams in China. ECHL has teams on the West Coast. QMHJL had a team in Maine. Etc.

Andrew GEA likes this.
  12. LordStanley1893

LordStanley1893 Active Member

For what it is worth, the ECHL no longer stands for East Coast Hockey League for that very reason.

13. R.J

R.J Guest

The name "change" happened in 2003 when the West Coast Hockey League folded, and the ECHL accepted some of the teams, but even prior to that they had teams in the Mid West and a team in Bakersfield, California IIRC.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  14. Rick716

Rick716 Well-Known Member

Montreal, Edmonton, and maybe one other. That's enough teams. You really want to stabilize what you have. Each of the the new teams will have to go through an incubation period (often made worse by losing in the beginning) to see if they can survive. Having 20 teams, 3 years from now seems excessive to me.

wacklax likes this.
  15. R.J

R.J Guest

I'd like to see the League maybe go to 16, then wait awhile before expanding again. Sakewicz wanting to get to 30 teams in 10-12 years is nuts IMO - even the MLS hasn't expanded to 30 yet, and they started expanding like crazy after the mid 2000's.

16. Rick716

Rick716 Well-Known Member

Agreed. 16 is a good round number (2 divisions of 8 or 4 divisions of 4) The league has had a history of a lot of franchise movement. 16 stable markets including one or two more in Canada (Edmonton, Montreal) would be great.

17. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

I cannot even imagine a 30 team universe.

Sit here and think to yourself - who is the 60th best box lacrosse goalie in the world?

It's an important question, because, when the 24th best goalie gets hurt, or needs to clear his head, this guy is going to get some minutes :D

When you are done with that, give some thought to what it looks like when the 144th best lefty D man ends up with something like Cody Jamieson iso'ed on him.....and when Cody gets his hands free, he is shooting on the 27th best goaltender.

Anyway, that many teams will result in NLL rosters that include guys that are presently depth players on their mid-pack Sr. B teams.....

18. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

I would guess he is over 40 and plays in a co-ed rec league where you have to shoot a beer every 3rd goal against

19. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

just did a quick and dirty guesstimate count of Ontario elite teams - Junior B thru Major. I think that's in and around 45.

Let's say there is a similar number between BC and Alberta, and let's say there are 20 more Senior B teams between Quebec, Can-Am, tri-nations and whatever TF else there is hiding.

110 teams.......so.......the median level player out of ALL of Canadian elite club lacrosse possibly has an NLL job in a 30 team league!

Considering that the level of play for anything but top half major teams bears just about zero resemblance to the quality of today's 11 team NLL....this is a bit un-nerving.

20. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

If the Vancouver Warriors succeed, then I have to think that additional Canadian NHL owners will want to get involved at some point.

In Canada, those owners all are already profitable with the NHL, so the costs of buying and operating an NLL team are minor in comparison - an NLL team can be run purely from NHL profits. Then, with the other NHL owners, they can grow the NLL and make even more money.