Who uses B2?

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by Mr Boo, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Well-Known Member

Looks like a security oversight on the b2 website. This link shows the complete list of people (all 72 of them) who ordered the Colorado-Rochester season opener on b2. Some familiar last names in that list: Maetche, Crawley, Burkholder, Malawsky, Greer, Dawson, Doyle, O'Toole, Croswell, Williams, Santos...

You can get such links for all teams at www.b2livetv.com/hockey/nll/<city>/report.asp

2. buffmattky

buffmattky New Member

the good about this is that at least they don't show credit card numbers....

the bad is how do you know that there ISN'T a way to get the credit card numbers.....

ATTENTION ANYONE ON THIS BOARD WHO IS INVOLVED WITH THE LEAGUE OFFICE, THIS MAY BE SOMETHING WORTH INVESTINGATING.

I was able to manipulate the website address and it pulled up the list of the people who got the game of Buffalo v. Portland. My friend's name who's house I was at was on there, along with a similar list of names in comparison to the Rochester/Colorado list (players, their wives/girlfriends/family, etc.)

how did you come across this in the first place?

3. WingsfaninMA

WingsfaninMA New Member

Why would you post this instead of emailing B2 and letting them know?

4. toros_00

toros_00 Moderator

ahah deb i see your name :)

5. WingsfaninMA

WingsfaninMA New Member

Reported the issue to B2

I let b2 know about the issue. Hopefully they get it cleared up soon.

Edit: And it is ... page not found.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2007
  6. schema

schema New Member

B2, imo, is utter crap...

The video quality is sub standard and now there's security issues... I will never again order it...

7. gmbjr

gmbjr Banned

There are security issues lots of places,they just havent been found. They were alerted and to their credit fixed it immediatly.

B2s quality is largely dependant on the feed it is operating from, so if the arena blows, the B2 feed will blow. B2 is relatively new, and needs support if it is to grow and upgrade it's own equipment. It cannot get tv feeds in a league where tv contracts exist for only a few games; it's got no choice but to use arena feeds and the associated internet connection, limiting the quality of what you see.

Most of us think its a far sight better than not seeing the game. I watched the Wings game last weekend, and alot of them last year on B2. Most people on this board will agree on this.....$6 is a good deal and B2 is ALOT better than looking at point streak and wishing you could see what ws happening.

I agree with WFMA....this should never have been posted. it was irresponsible and thoughtless. It should have been reported to B@ instead as soon as it was noticed. What if other info WAS available? Posting here made it easily accessable to people who would never have known about the mistake until after it was fixed. Our identities and bank accountscould have been comprimised. A truly stupid move.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2007
  8. WingsfaninMA

WingsfaninMA New Member

Exactly g. Had the original poster bothered to alert B2, it would have happened faster. I sent them an email at 10:39, got a reply at 10:51, and the page was down no later than 11:00. 20 minutes ... that's taking it pretty seriously at 11 PM at night.

Sure, it was dumb of them to have that on a public visible area, but there were no CC numbers, and they fixed it as soon as they were notified.

9. gmbjr

gmbjr Banned

Thanks for handling the situation properly, WFMA!

I look forward to using B2 for the next Wings away game, even if its on Versus, since I refuse to watch tape delays of games I know the outcome of.

B2 rocks.

nada sucks.

10. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Well-Known Member

I originally found this by going to https://www.b2livetv.com/bp/nll.htm and clicking on the San Jose link. It is supposed to be a link to ../schedule.asp, but it was a link to ../report.asp instead. The Toronto one is like that too.

I have emailed b2 about the problem.

11. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Well-Known Member

My email to b2 just bounced - can someone post the email address they used?

You guys are probably right, I should not have posted this here. I figured that there was no credit card information, so it was not a huge security risk. Didn't occur to me that if that page was available, there might be other pages available that had more information. Note that I watched the game, and my name was in that list, so if credit card information was available, I was at risk as well.

My apologies for posting this.

12. WingsfaninMA

WingsfaninMA New Member

I have the customer service address at home. I'll post it when I get there. I think it's webservb2@b2networks.com, but I'm not 100% sure.

13. gmbjr

gmbjr Banned

It turns out to be no problem.

See, just like B2, people make mistakes.

Its fixed, and/or being resolved and all is good now.

I think everyone learned something about how easily identities can be nabbed by this. I suggest that everyone call their insurance agent and get ID theft insurance. It helps with the costs of recovering your ID and resolving the possible fraudulent transaction which may occur while your identity is in sombody elses hands. Those costs can range in the thousands of dollars, not to mention lost time at work. Coverage is pretty cheap, like $50 per year. I added it to my renters policy this past summer as soon as I found out about it.

14. schema

schema New Member

Wait a sec, would you be saying this if credit card numbers where posted in plain sight?

The OP was right to post this for all to see. Security by obscurity has never worked and in it's nature is irresponsible. Just do some research on computer security and you will find out that not is taken lightly. We have a right to know when our personal information is posted in plain site. Yes B2 fixed the problem asap, but why did they have the problem in the first place? I will never input my CC info again on their site and I advise others to abstain as well.

I am not complaining about the feed they recieve, I am complaining about the compression they use after they recieve the feed and send it out on the internet. They should at least let users pick a bandwidth so that people that have 10 mbit connections can at least have high quality video. Their default video is about .35 mbit which barely makes a dent in the bandwidth I have availible to me. I would even be willing to pay (if the get a more secure site) more for higher quality.

15. toros_00

toros_00 Moderator

its better than nothing man

trust me, I would also love widescreen HD lacrosse at my fingertips..but it ain't gunna happen.

16. gmbjr

gmbjr Banned

if credit card numbers had been available in plain sight, then I'd have blasted them for their stupidity and lack of forethought in something so basic....then commended them for resolving their mistake as quickly as they have.

Apparantly, the area regarding payment is secure. B2 can help by setting up a secure server. This is the first breach of any kind that I know of. They desrve to be cut a break.

It should have been posted AFTER the problem was reported to B2 and subsequently resolved. All the original post did was send a load of people who previously didnt know onto the site to try to hack into whatever areas they could so they could see if they could add to the controversy. This could have been a disaster. Again, the most important info was NOT available for all to see, and allowing the names on the same server is more imprudent than insecure.

17. schema

schema New Member

Didn't ask for HD, I ask'd for something in the 1 mbit range...

18. schema

schema New Member

Actually, I would hope that the extra scrutiny would have them secure the site even better.

19. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

Wow, if you only took this gloriously magnanimous attitude in all of your posts :eek: I can't believe you didn't find a way to link a shaky B2 feed and error in their information acces to a certain individual that lives in a pale domicile. :D

20. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

72 people bought the Rochester-Colorado game in 2007? I wonder how that compares to games in 2018 o_O