Why aren't box lax nets secured in place?

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by TofuBomb, Oct 5, 2018.

1. TofuBomb

TofuBomb Guest

Maybe that's a dumb question. Is it a safety issue somehow? It just seems like the goalies are constantly pushing them out of position.

2. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

It is a dumb question

3. Tom Wersderfer

Tom Wersderfer Active Member

They are somewhat secured to the floor. There are magnets embedded in the floor at the goal line on both sides where the front of the net frame is and the front edge of the nets sit on those magnets to help hold them in place but they can still be moved if pushed hard enough. I guess they want the nets to have some give in case someone runs into them at high speed. If they were anchored too securely then someone could be seriously hurt running into them.

Not sure if every city has the magnets in the floor but I know the old Wings team did back in the last years of their existence in Philly.

4. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

1. Safety issue
    2. Nhl teams wouldnt want another pair of holes in the ice

5. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

Simple - collisions happen, and, if the nets had no give, there would be more serious injuries to goalies and other players.

FWIW, the morons that run the NLL have left a serious safety issue with these nets - those 'sharp' mitre-joint corners are going to kill someone, or at least end a career and change a life for the worst one day. Radiused corner joints are the way to go.

6. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

In the NHL if the net comes off, the play is stopped. And if the puck goes in when the net comes off, the goal won't count.

In the NLL, if the nets aren't in their specified location the play can still go on and goals can still count if the net is not where it's supposed to be. There's that whole invisible plane of the net rule that applies.

7. TofuBomb

TofuBomb Guest

Thanks! Makes sense.

8. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

This is news to me. I never knew that there are magnets, in some cities anyways, in the floor to help keep them in place.

I do kinda wish the refs would periodically check to make sure the nets are in alignment with the goal line during the course of the game, just to make sure they're not coming off the line or shifting from side to side too much.

9. AmericanRockFan

I don't know how the corners thing has never dawned on me until now, and how no one has actually gotten injured on one either....

10. AmericanRockFan

Loser.

11. chuckster

I think part of the rule says that it's the goalie's job to make sure the net is where it should be. I sit in the ends and the goalies do check the net when play goes the other way to see where it is to make sure it's aligned.

But if the net is not set right, some people will blame Cody Jamieson. o_O

RockStar likes this.
  12. AmericanRockFan

Is there a penalty on the goalie for not setting it in there properly? I've never seen one called, nor seen a goalie do anything with the net that wasn't on the up and up, but it's something that's crossed my mind while watching games over the years.

13. chuckster

I could see a ref calling an unsportsmanlike conduct or delay of game penalty but it would likely be only after a couple of warnings from the ref to the goalie to set the net. A ref might even go the bench to tell the coach to get his goalie in line.

I've never seen it called.

14. AmericanRockFan

Unsportsmanlike conduct would probably be the penalty to call in that case. I can see the ref issuing a warning on the first offense, unless the goalie has the net WAY off the line and it's pretty obvious he was doing it intentionally.

15. IAmDroot

IAmDroot Guest

There definitely used to be a penalty for intentionally pulling the net off the line. Dallas Eliuk got called for that a few times for sure

16. RockStar

To me, the risk of not having it set right means that
    a) you can't find your posts to set yourself to defend a shot,

b) anything, anywhere near the plane of the goalmouth, is going to get called a goal, so, you're making the target waaaayyyy bigger for the attack man.

No need for a penalty unless maybe the tender intentionally shoves it into someone who's vulnerable

17. swami24

The thought has crossed my mind, but considering their equipment, the neck is the one area vulnerable if they crash in. It would be a a good suggestion to the players union to ask for the corner rounding. Worst thing would be for.someone to be seriously hurt after the suggestion came up.

18. RockStar

I had the net design conversation with a former NLL ref years ago.

The safety was one issue.

The other point I remember, more applicable in the days before replays, was that the netting in the top corners is (was?) so tight that you could miss a quick in-and-out goal, and, I think I even remember him figuring that it was actually tight enough that the ball might not even cross the goal line completely

Funny story:

OLA teams that play on turf have copied the NLL style goal without a thought:

Peterborough https://www.gonorthumberland.ca/rss/msl-lakers-gm-happy-with-start-to-the-season

Six Nations http://sixnationschiefs.blogspot.com/2015/08/lakers-sink-chiefs-in-game-7.html

Less crease-crashing play here, but, more general brutality......these guys should do something different as well

This is one that I wish they'd address soon......After watching the play that buried Ken Montour, and, imagining what might have happened if Petkoff was coming in from the wing instead of head on.......the thought just makes me feel sick. Even if the corner hits a padded body part, the contact area is so much smaller that the trauma from a given collision is going to be proportionally worse.

The other obvious safety issue I'd love to see sorted out eventually needs more of an NHL partner thing - would love to see the glass moved towards the rink so it's flush with the edge of the dasher board, and, when guys are put into the wall, they don't get a part of their body mashed into a 'sharp' edge. Don Cherry has been on this one for years.

19. Tom Wersderfer

Tom Wersderfer Active Member

I didn't know about the magnets either until the Wings equipment manager told me about them. This was when I was working on the Wings Stats Crew. I worked on the Philly Stats Crew for 10 seasons. One night after the game was over, I went down on the floor while they were doing an autograph session and I went to one of the goal nets and I moved it and I saw the magnets for myself. They are round disc shaped and seem pretty heavy and strong. I was able to move the net off the magnets with both hands though. They are flush even with the floor.

20. swami24

Amazing how one can still learn things about the game, even after 30 yrs.