Why carpet

Discussion in 'Other Lacrosse' started by Andrew GEA, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Andrew GEA

Andrew GEA Guest

I was watching WLA the other day and the Burnaby Lakers were at home. I love their green wooden floor it looked so cool, and it's a lot more professional looking than bear cement.

Since a lot of other lax teams more so in NLL and MSL use carpet (which causes a lot of injuries). Why don't they switch to wood instead?

2. 30seconds

30seconds Member

Cheaper to buy and store, faster to install would be my guess

3. Andrew GEA

Andrew GEA Guest

My thought is that the Lakers can afford it so it can't be too crazy, and with all the foot injuries that carpets make it might be better to have wood so that your roster doesn't get messed up.

Might help ticket sales if your not losing key players

4. valleygoalie

valleygoalie New Member

Here is an article on how much the wood floor in Burnaby costs. The wood floor is not as practical as the carpet to move in and out. The wood floors in Burnaby and NW only go on once the ice is taken out which is a 1-2 week process depending on how quick the concrete dries. Where the carpet arenas can put it over the ice.

As well you can see the price that Burnaby spent on their wood floor was $667,000 and from my understanding the carpet is somewhere between $200,000-$250,000.

http://www.burnabynow.com/news/copeland-arena-to-get-wooden-lacrosse-floor-1.1898440

5. RockyMaivia

RockyMaivia Active Member

This ain't the first time the Ardmore Aardvark has had the "carpet versus hard wood" discussion, if you know what I'm talking about :cool:

Andrew GEA likes this.
  6. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

On a humid summer's day, the hard wood floor looks like a hilarious situation.

I can remember watching a webcast of Brampton @ New West in 2009, and, they had to halt play every five minutes so some poor arsehole could swab the deck.

Of course, on a humid day, the concrete rink can be worse if the pad heater malfunctions.......can't even keep up with the condensate by mopping. There's also the fact that it's already stupid hot and you have to bolt the arena doors and add heat......takes a real fan to watch a game in 111 degree stands!

Astroturf sucks, but, it may be the least of evils.

7. Andrew GEA

Andrew GEA Guest

I wonder if that's a ventilation issue, can't imagine it's like that in a southern nba stadium such as new Orleans.

Maybe when the league goes mainstream
    / Comparable to the CFL they could afford hardwood

8. The Rush are getting a new carpet for this season and they said it would cost their sponsor $400,000 for it. So I assume they are getting top of the line stuff. A cheap used carpet can be had for $40,000, as I have seen indoor football teams selling their's, along with all the dasher board padding and uprights for around that. I never did see the carpet, so I have no idea what shape it was in or anything.

Hardwood is a terrible idea to lay over ice. Since only New England is the primary tenant of their arena, they have to be careful not to damage the ice. I remember during the LA Kings 2012 playoff run, Staples Centre (along with the NHL and NBA) had the genius idea to have a Lakers game at 7:30 one night, a Clippers game at noon the next day and a Kings game at 7:30. The ice was absolutely terrible for the Kings game as it was soft and the time between the Clippers game and the Kings game was so short they only had time to Zamboni the ice before warmups,they didn't have time to even hose down the rink. Since the carpet used in the NLL is more porous, it does allow the ice to breathe (yes I know they put plywood over the ice before laying the carpet) better than a basketball court does. With enough people, it is possible to remove an entire basketball floor (and reconfigure the seats) in the span of about three hours. I remember catching the end of the Clippers game and them saying that Overtime wasn't really an option due to my Kings playing at 7:30. So it appears it takes roughly three and a half hours to move a basketball floor out, reconfigure the stands and put up a hockey rink (I believe they said it all had to be done for 6 PM if they wanted the Kings game to start on time as that is when they open the doors to the fans).

I find the game is better on carpet anyway. I have never watched games on hardwood, but have watched games on cement and the ball bounces better off carpet than the cement. What I mean is it is far more predictable in how it bounces. I have in fact seen a box lax game at Sasktel Centre on the cement floor, so I have actually seen what it is like with and without carpet.

Plus installing hardwood causes issues with ice at times. I know in arenas that were built with hockey in mind, some NBA preseason games have been cancelled because laying the floor over the ice caused issues with large puddles forming on the floor. Now I realize you are likely meaning more for summer ball than the NLL, so the ice would be gone in most places for summer ball. So this may not be as much of an issue, in the early 90s, Saskatoon had pro summer basketball teams and I don't remember there being any issues with humidity causing the floor to be slippery. Granted Sasktel Centre is a NHL styled rink, with a NHL style ventilation system. Many of the MSL/WLA rinks are older Major Junior/Junior A rinks and one only has to look at how foggy some Memorial Cup games are in those rinks to know how poorly ventilated they are for summer days. Now I have no idea about the rinks used in the MSL/WLA, but the Tier II Junior B RMLL uses many AJHL rinks and I used to go and watch the Lloydminster Xtreme at the Civic Centre during the summer. It actually has no air conditioning in it, it has heat for the winter, but no A/C. A few games I had to leave early because it was just too hot in the rink to sit and watch. With a wooden floor, there would definitely be pools of sweat all over. You'd need some kids with mops to clean the floor off repeatedly. The other thing is unlike Staples Centre above, many of the rinks summer ball uses have little staff, so hauling in a wooden floor for lacrosse would take a lot of volunteers to install/remove. You have to remember that these arenas are used for other things too in the summer, so it isn't a case of putting down the floor for lacrosse in late May and putting it away in August/September, it would have to be put in and taken out repeatedly. Most of the arenas used for summer ball wouldn't have people do this.

Since you are in Edmonton, think of the Bill Hunter Arena (I believe that is where RMLL Senior B plays). Can you imagine having enough people there to haul it in and out? The only arenas in Edmonton that have the manpower likely are Northlands (which is a moot point since it is closing January 1 sadly) and Rogers Place. It would be similar in most cities I think where most staff for load-ins for concerts are the roadies who travel with the bands and day labourers paid for by the bands. There isn't the money in summer ball (or in some cities for the NLL) to allow for this.

9. yes and no, there's a trick you can do with the "carpet" as a shooter where you do a bounce shot that appears to be going wide/hitting the post but when it hits the carpet the spin on the ball can force the ball to almost dig and bounce back in towards the net, not an exact science, freaks the goalies out and is pretty sweet to see

however I do agree games on carpet are better, no slipping, no slidding, no blown out knees and less impact (speaking from experience, running on concrete like that growing up can take a toll on your lower body joints)

10. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I was afraid of finding crude humor like this in this thread....

Anyways to give my two cents, if I was playing professionally I'd probably prefer to play on carpet because it would absorb any sweat/water unlike hard wood and it would be far less slippery to play on. Plus.... it'd be way more comfortable to land on when getting clobbered.

11. Andrew GEA

Andrew GEA Guest

I only played on cement and carpet arenas. I was thinking that the wood would be better because the carpets can have pockets which are shitty to trip on. But I never thought about the wood warping and sweat being a factor.

12. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

I will disagree that the bounces are more predictable off carpet......the plywood or fake plastic wood under the carpet doesn't sit perfectly flat and has mysterious dead spots and equally mysterious extra-live spots

Also, sometimes the carpet has a crazy seam, or 'wow' in it that cannot be flattened out in a few hours.

The pro shooters can do a little more with bounce shots on carpet than on concrete.

The far side high-to-low bouncer to top corner seems lethal to defend. Looks like the shooter is aiming low, so, you get sucked into going butterfly, or trying to attack it with your stick.....and then the M-F ball does the hop right over your leg pad or stick and hits top-cheese.

There is also that trick with lots of backspin on a bouncer that looks like a low corner shot. If those are dialed in, it's not even fair to be a goalie

BestSeatinHouse likes this.
  13. bam, exactly what I was referring too.

hit the nail on the head

its more comfortable for the impact, but the turf burn is terrible