Why does....

Discussion in 'OLA Forum' started by BigDave, May 22, 2017.

1. BigDave

BigDave Active Member

...the OLA major series only have 1 Fri and 3 Sat games scheduled this year?

2. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

It has always been that most of the games are weeknights. I think their guys like to have summer weekends off.

3. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I wish that wasn't the case cause I've really wanted to make the trip up for an MSL game for years, but I'm not gonna take an afternoon or a following morning off of work to go see a game.

4. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

I think this is the 2nd or 3rd year in a row they've done this. The Saturdays are few and far between.

5. RockStar

playoffs often end up with a game on a Saturday or Sunday......look at the schedule after the brackets get set up

6. RockyMaivia

RockyMaivia Active Member

THE ARDMORE AARDVARK WONDERS IF MAYBE, just maybe, WE COULD SEE A MSL TEAM ON THE AMERICAN SIDE OF THE BORDER ONE DAY.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  7. AmericanRockFan

I'd like that but I'm unsure if there's a market. Maybe a team could play in Buffalo at the HarborCenter or something. Nonetheless it'd be nice for there to be a team closer to the border for someone such as myself to be able to make a quick trip to a game on a weeknight if I wanted.

8. RockStar

Buffalo gamblers drew well for OLA standards but, nowhere near enough to turn on the lights and AC at the big arena

I think I read that the HarborCenter * holds about 1800......that would be perfect size

*it hurts to spell both halves of that compound name "wrong"

9. RockyMaivia

THE ARDMORE AARDVARK SAYS THAT THAT ISN'T THE "WRONG" SPELLING OF HarborCenter, BUT RATHER HarbourCentre WOULD HAVE BEEN THE "WRONG" SPELLING.

10. chuckster

That question was posed to Scott Loffler when HarborCenter opened.....IIRC, he said they couldn't physically get the carpet into the building and if they did, they didn't have a place to store it. But it would be a great venue for summer lax. I suspect, however, they still keep the place booked with hockey and other events during the summer.

11. AmericanRockFan

I'm sort of curious to know how much of a chore this is considering they're able to get a zamboni into the building.

12. RockyMaivia

THE ARDMORE AARDVARK SAYS IF THEY CAN'T FIT THE TURF ONTO THE FIELD, THEN MELT THE ICE AND PLAY IT ON THE CONCRETE LIKE IN THE OLD DAYS.

13. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

Maybe they crane-lifted it in before the roof was on :)

Yeah, typically, there is a large garage door to back the Zamboni out to dump the snow, but, this being in a downtown area, maybe they just dump the snow into a sump pit inside.....

Still, surprised there is not some kind of a loading dock - over the life of a busy rink, there is going to be more than a few full-skid-sized deliveries.....I'd be very surprised if there was no way to receive ~12' lengths of carpet roll

AmericanRockFan likes this.
  14. AmericanRockFan

I always figured the garage door in between 716 and Tim Horton's was some sort of a loading dock. Such a unique building, the HarborCenter is, as I don't even know how to find the rink inside the parking garage...

15. chuckster

The rinks are not at ground level, they're on the 6th floor of the building. And again, part of his reason IIRC is that there was no place to store the rug inside the building.

16. chuckster

They still do hockey events in the summer.....I think the ice is in year-round. To constantly melt and reinstall the ice would be a maintenance nightmare.

17. AmericanRockFan

On a serious note here, in the MSL don't they sometimes play on concrete that has some sort of rubber layer on it? Perhaps someone could innovate something where you could put the rubber coating overtop of plywood sheets on top of the ice?

18. RockyMaivia

THE ARDMORE AARDVARK SAYS PLAY BOX LACROSSE ON ICE THEN. CAN YOU SAY "HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE"?!

19. AmericanRockFan

No, but I can say "injuries galore."

20. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

I don't think anyone uses tiles in Ontario.......it's either concrete or turf.

Couple places in BC have hardwood floors