Will rumored Long Island team be a general NY team?

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by TofuBomb, Aug 10, 2018.

1. TofuBomb

TofuBomb Guest

Or will it be Long Island specific?

I'd love them to reboot the New York Titans. I enjoy the traditional NY color scheme and their logo wasn't bad.

2. TofuBomb

TofuBomb Guest

Same question with the rumored Brooklyn Nets affiliated team. Do you think it would be Brooklyn specific, or a general NY team?

3. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

The Saints were a general NY team. It's all up to the new owner to decide. I'm down with whatever they want to do.

4. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

I would assume "New York". I believe the Nets are the only pro team in NYC/Long Island that doesn't use the name "New York".

Uniondale Saints just doesn't have the same ring to it.

5. TofuBomb

TofuBomb Guest

I hope so. Although New York Islanders seems pretty Long Island specific.

6. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

I suspect that the owner of a LI-based NLL team might be be Andrew Murstein's Medallion Financial Group which has a sports-team owning subentity. They already own the New York Lizards of the MLL who play across the street from the Nassau Colisseum at Shuart Stadium at Hofstra U.

However, I am not sure how soon Medallion might buy into the NLL because I am not sure of the long-term viability of their core business involving NYC taxicab medallions due to their value going down from competition from Uber and Lyft.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxi_medallion

As for a teamname, one could imagine sticking with Lizards and just expand the Lizards' lacrosse branding. In the old days, this sort of thing was common. For example, the old MLB NL "New York Giants" and the NFL "New York Football Giants". Saint Louis Cardinals were the same way. I even think there was a Philadelphia Athletics "1st NFL" team just like the old MLB AL Philadelphia Athletics.

7. TofuBomb

TofuBomb Guest

The Lizards were originally a Long Island specific team though right? The name makes more sense with that alliteration. With the talk about the Knighthawks moving, maybe they should make them a general NY team. New York Knighthawks sounds better than Rochester Knighthawks or New York Lizards.

Whatever they do, I hope they go with the blue/orange color scheme, a la the Knicks. (I imagine they'd be less likely to do that, though, if they were affiliated with the Brooklyn Nets.)

What are the chances a New York expansion team will be announced in September?

8. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

9. wingsfan20

wingsfan20 Guest

Is there a new rumor regarding a New York based team or is this based on previous speculation?

10. TofuBomb

TofuBomb Guest

Nah, old rumors.

11. BIG E NY

BIG E NY Member

It will be a Long Island team. Either at the Coliseum or the new Belmont Arena. Coliseum for certain if Tsai is the owner. There will likely be a big league arena out here in Suffolk County as well. As for the NY colors, the Mets used Dodger blue and orange from the Giants.

12. TofuBomb

TofuBomb Guest

What makes you think it would be Long Island specific? I thought I read the orange/blue colors had to do with the World's Fair or something.

13. BIG E NY

BIG E NY Member

Long Island is the only location where a NY team will draw anything. I see Brooklyn drawing similar to the horrific Titans crowds in Newark.

14. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Orange and blue and white are the colors of New York. They're 400 years old.
    The World's Fair location is in Queens which is physically part of Long Island.
    If anything, it will be Long Island at the Colisseum for a variety of reasons. I could only see Manhattan if the Dolans bought into it.

15. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

will Rocky be summoned back someone says the 'D' word too many times?

swami24 and MILLwasbetter like this.
  16. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

Rangers, Giants and the original Nets colors are blue white and red. New Nets and Yankees are dark blue or black and white. Orange is an accent color for the others. Except the Jets.... what were they thinking with green and white?

17. fandit

fandit Active Member

In the articles about the Bandits buying the Knighthawks it was mentioned that the league was looking into having the Seals owner, Mr Tsai, also own a Long Island franchise. So, based on that article, the rumors are new, this off-season.
    Here is article.....https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/knighthawks-could-be-sold-to-pegula-sports-current-owner-curt-styres-to-get-halifax-expansion-team/52529

18. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Jets were originally the Titans whose colors did not involve green. However, Leon Hess and partners bought the Jets and renamed them. Hess made his money from Hess Corporation which has a large green and white logo.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  19. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

Good link vin