Will the Black Wolves be better or worse than they were last year?

Discussion in 'New England Black Wolves Forum' started by TofuBomb, Aug 10, 2018.

1. TofuBomb

TofuBomb Guest

Explain yourself, please! I'm trying to get a sense of what people think of their offseason moves.

2. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

downing will add depth on the back end. if suitor is healthy, and this is like the 5th year we have said this, then you have a top ten transition players. still unsure about the goalie spot as bold has not signed. adding digby can be huge if you get the digby that was in vancouver. one thing you are seeing is that gm lisk is sacrificing quickness for size up front. last winter, your top attack had evans and kyle and now it will have crawford and digby.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  3. TofuBomb

TofuBomb Guest

Nobody has a prediction about whether they will be better or worse than last year?

4. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

It's too early to say. Maybe after the draft next month where there could always be trades and movement. The Wolves still need to settle their goaltending with or without Bold.

5. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

tell me who your goalie is?

6. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

Starts with that question.

7. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

Matt Vinc will be their goalie
    Mark my words

8. liveone

liveone Member

I'd like to see Jamieson finally get a shot, but this isn't the right year for it. I watched a lot of him during the MSL playoffs this year and the kid looked like the real deal. The W-L record in the playoffs doens't hsow it, but he put up better numbers than Vinc and Poulin.

http://d15k3om16n459i.cloudfront.net/prostats/goalieleaders.html?leagueid=832&seasonid=18552

He's never gotten any sort of chance to play here in NE. Aside from 1 start last season, he's only been used after Kirk or Bold crapped the bed and gave up a 6 or 7 goal lead. He gets thrown in with a tired, frustrated D in front of him and gets shelled.

Unfortunately, I don't think this is the year to experiment. There are still plenty of uninformed and disgruntled fans in the area upset over the Kirk trade, O'Brien cut, and Evans and Buchanan trades. They live in some fantasy world where O'Brien was one of the best D guys in the league and a -48 goal differential is normal for a playoff team. I know they've lost quite a few season ticket holders this year when they got rid of the BOGO offer, too. I coach youth lacrosse in the area and every single boys coach had STs for their family. Everyone but myself and maybe one other declined to renew because of the price increase and/or the perception that they get rid of anyone good.

If Jamieson gets the nod and shits the bed, it's going to hurt this team bad. If they don't do much better then a .500 record and out-in-one playoff appearance, they're going to lose more than just fans. They're going to lose guys like Crowley and Manney to free agency.

9. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

Rose owned that series...four wins, GAA of less than 7 for the whole series, and, of just barely over 5 in the four wins.....against an offence that might win the NLL...

Roll this over in your mind a bit and consider how good a predictor of NLL success summer ball is ;)

10. RockStar

(Different game. The smaller nets mean guys have to bang inside to get acceptable percentage looks. The legalized murder that defencemen are allowed to carry out means banging inside doesn't even get you more goals.....)

dougm likes this.
  11. RockStar

(so when a big, "angles" type, goalie, has a defence that can better control where shots are allowed to come from, he can just pick a position, and make the chest save.

The wooden paddle means there is no fivehole target either)

12. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

MSL can give you some clues as to how goalies are playing but I keep coming back to the fact that a guy like Buque had a great summer last year and then crapped the bed in games for the Bandits in the winter. Smaller nets in the summer leagues make the numbers deceiving when trying to apply them to the NLL which has wider nets.

13. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

still stand by this now that bold has flown the coop to vancouver.

14. fandit

fandit Well-Known Member

Consider them, marked.

15. fandit

fandit Well-Known Member

BUMP! :p

16. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

Guess I’ll settle for him being a wing