Will The Toronto Sports Fan Apathy Bug Bite The Rock???

Discussion in 'Toronto Rock Forum' started by Canadan, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Canadan

Canadan New Member

What will happen if the Rock-god forbid-have a sub-par season this year, or any other year? It'll be interesting to see how many fans jump off the Rock bandwagon. Look what happened to the Argos and the Blue Jays. Neither can draw flies. I've never been to a Blue Jays game (zero interest in baseball) and have supported the Argos for at least 20 years. We will see who the REAL fans are and the lax fan wannabes. I believe that the only thing that would contribute to any possible waning popularity would be rising ticket prices. I hope the NLL in Toronto doesn't turn into a white collar sport. WTF is with suits at Craptors and Make Beleaf games? LET'S KEEP SUPPORTING THE ROCK...NO MATTER WHAT!! Bandwagon jumpers are NOT welcome at Rock games.

2. TOTHFAN

TOTHFAN New Member

can't see it happening as the rock have been named

TORONTO'S BEST SPORTS VALUE for the past 2 years

the games are just too damn much fun.

IT JUST WON'T HAPPEN

3. rockhead

rockhead Member

I've always said I think the fans would leave if we lose for 2 or 3 seasons. On the flip side, I think that might lead to ticket prices becoming reasonable again.

I just want to point out, although I won't be suprised if we're 4-2 after Buffalo, I also won't be suprised if we're 2-4. Why???
    Calgary - Hasn't impressed me all that much, I'll take Toronto here.
    Ottawa - Terry's lost to the Rock twice already, I don't see him going without a fight now that its for real.
    Buffalo - A tiered Toronto against the roughest team in the league... I feel better about this after talking with Les, but I still worry

4. Meathead25

Meathead25 New Member

There is a very real danger of bandwagon jumpers here in Toronto, moreso than any other city.
    Anyone remember the Phantoms? Win their division one year, fold the next?
    How about the Blizzard? Did well in their first three years, and then didn't do so hot the next and everyone left and the franchise folded.
    Now the Argonauts are in the same boat (pardon the pun) but I think they have a very real chance to turn it around, especially after this years showing. If they can build on that, they'll be OK.
    As for the Rock, if they do have a few mediocre seasons and don't make the playoffs after such a huge start (3 in 4? Pretty darned good, if you ask me!) I can see that happening, especially seeing as we have come to expect so much from our sports teams. It's almost like if you don't win a championship in the first three years that your team exists (with the exception of basketball, which I'll never understand) you are doomed...

5. Jimbo

Jimbo New Member

Two things kill interest in a sport. The first is to have your team lose all the time, the second is to have the same team win all the time. (Sorry Yankee fans). Three out of four (not counting Hamilton) ain't too bad! My only concern is that, if we don't host the championship, I won't have to drive too far.

6. laxdaddio

laxdaddio New Member

Meathead,

I know for a fact that the Phantoms were never a success at the gate. They were a very similar story to the Montreal Express - the entire house was papered. As far as the Blizzard goes, I don't even know who they were.

In any event, in my view Toronto sports fans are very far from being bandwagon jumpers. The Leafs are sold-out whether they are horrible or half decent (and more often than not it has been the former). The Raptors continue to do well at the gate even though the performance on the floor is abysmal (although I am certain that the support of basketball in Toronto is a mile wide and an inch deep and I wouldn't be surprised to see attendance fall off dramatically over the next few years as basketball becomes less "cool"). The Blue Jays have suffered since the players strike in the mid-90's in my opinion because many fans (myself among them as a former Jays season ticket holder) became dissillusioned with baseball and what it represents.

In the case of the Argos, they suffer from Toronto's view of itself as a major league city and the saturation coverage of the NFL. The bottom line, IMHO, is that Toronto fans will not support a sport that they view as minor league. You can see that with the Argos and also to an extent in the support (or more correctly the lack thereof) of Junior hockey in Toronto, Brampton and Mississauga.

For the time being lacrosse has a nice niche in the psyche of the Toronto sports fan because of the image that the players are everyday working Joes like themselves who play more for the love of the game than for money. The party atmosphere at the games (including the music people) is also attractive along with the affordable ticket prices. The Rock, however, I think will start to see diminishing returns if they raise ticket prices much more.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2003
  7. RockEd

RockEd New Member

I agree with your analysis.

The Rock are successful because we are buying our own tickets.

The Leafs/Raptors/Jays are primarily corporate writeoffs. None of us can afford seats for the Leafs/Raptors, and nobody wants seats for the Jays.

As a lifelong Argonaut season ticket holder, I can tell you that they are also fan supported - not corporate puppets. The major problem for the Argonauts is the venue - the SkyDump has never heard of customer service. If it was run like the ACC, the Argos would have much larger crowds.

The Rock brings people in because it offers competitive, action-packed sports along with cool tunes, cool babes, wacky contests, and rabid fans. What more could we ask for ?

I don't see a bandwagon-jumper amongst the Rockers that I know.

8. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

I jumped on the bandwagon.

However, I'm enjoying the ride, and don't see myself jumping off any time soon.

Losses happen, even to the best.

However, as long as I see that the team management and coaching is doing everything they can to keep the team good and even make it better, I'll tolerate several non-championship seasons, and even a few non-playoff seasons (hopefully not a few in a row) before giving up my tickets.

Please just keep the pricing where it is. I believe Toronto is close to, if not the most expensive ticket in the league.

That's fine, I don't mind paying for quality. Just be careful and fair with the increases (BTW - Thanks for not boosting prices for season tix this year!).

9. TOTHFAN

TOTHFAN New Member

THE BLIZZARD FOR THOSE WHO DON'T REMEBER WERE IN THE NORTH AMERICAN SOCCER LEAGUE

THE WON THE SOCCER BOWL AND DREW GOOD CROWDS AT THE CNE IN THE LATE 70'S EARLY 80'S

BUT SOCCER BE IT INDOOR OR OUT DOES NOT FARE WELL IN
    T.O.

ALSO THE PHANTOMS LOST 7 MILLION U.S. IN JUST 2 YEARS

TOUGH TO DRAW MANY FANS TO THE ACC ON THE SATURDAY OF THE CANADA DAY LONG WEEKEND.

THE BRUTAL SCHEDULE AND THE WHAT ??? & WHO CARES ???
    ATTITUDE OF FANS ( A U.S. GAME IN A CFL CITY)

IT WAS CURSED FROM DAY ONE !!!!

THE ROCK WILL SURVIVE

10. Jimbo

Jimbo New Member

Tothfan-actualy it was the Metros-Croatia that won the Soccer Bowl. The Bliz could never get past the Cosmos and their rent-a-legend team.:mad:

As I recall, the CNE crowds were decent. We even hosted the Soccer Bowl one year (Chicago beat NY in a shootout-I was there).

Oh my God, I'm talking about soccer-sorry...:eek:

11. TOTHFAN

TOTHFAN New Member

YEA BUT IF YOU MENTION IVAIR OR EUSEBEO

OR EVEN BOB IARAUCSI MISSING A PENALTY KICK IN THE 1981

SOCCER BOWL

OH YEAH .... WE ARE TALKING SOCCER

OOOOPS:rolleyes:

12. general

general New Member

I don't think that the Rock have anything to worry about. The Fans can't expect them to win the championship every year. I think that they have great advertising (did anyone catch Pat Coyle on 102.1 last week). The only thing that might hurt their attendance is the increase in ticket sales, but then it is still cheaper than catching a leaf game and it is much more exciting.

13. Tank

Tank New Member

I think that after this season, the Rock might have to raise season ticket prices to balance out the demand from all the Raptor fans that jumped off the bandwagon. The Rock have notihng to worry about. They'll be like the Leafs.

14. Canadan

Canadan New Member

Speedin Stevie Toll and The Whipper signed jerseys for me. A Make Beleaf or a Craptor would be glad to do that for me....NOT!!! Unless you paid big $$$$ for that "priviledge". These guys are for real, and that's why i'm on the Rock bandwagon to stay. No egos, overpaid crybabies, etc...

CHAMPIONSHIPS IN TORONTO....
    Maple Leafs--1967....LMAO LOL ROTFL
    Argos--1991 (Rocket Ismail) 96,97 (the Flutie years)
    Blue Jays--1992,93 (who cares)???
    Craptors-- ZIP
    ROCK--1999,2000,2002....Only in Toronto 5 seasons!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2003
  15. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I am very sorry to bump this INCREDIBLY OLD thread, but we had one of those "subpar" seasons, and people expressed some opinions of what they expected "a few years from now." We are now nearly 3 1/2 years from when this thread was created, so do you feel people jumped off the Rock bandwagon? I'm still here, but attendence did drop a little bit, but that may or may not be linked to the NHL lockout ending.

For the record, I would LOVE Blue Jays season tickets.

16. Rabid Camel

Rabid Camel New Member

wouldn't 8-8 and squeezing into the playoffs be about "par"...the real test would be back to back years like the Stealth have just had.

17. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Not for the Rock.

18. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

expectations matter

buf & philly dominated the attendance in the mill because every fan expected to be part of a winning event. buf entered in its lean years and the fans there just for buzz kinda fell off the wagon once the winning & edgey play stopped. philly suffers from that as well as such those who do go are the diehards but the casual fans, spoiled by success, require success to come back. 1-bad year will have no great impact but when you hit 2-years, you'll find out who your true nll fans are.
    the problem is that for all of toronto's successes, a failure is magnified. 8-8 and a playoff run for minnesota is great because outside of 3-folks on this board, few figured them to matter. for philly, the season ending w/out a playoff hurt but most folks agree that it was an entertaining season so i'm not sure how this shakes out.
    as the league gains strength, the rock will lose their biggest advantage - homegrown talent. alot of ontario based players do not want the commute so the rock becomes their home, its becoming the de facto quebec rule for the mtl canadiens before expansion. when every team can trade on their own w/out fear from players balking, will the fannbase accept this chamge of events?

19. Meathead25

Meathead25 New Member

AmericanRockFan> Thanks for bumping this. It's great that we can look at what we posted a few years back and see if anything has changed.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm still going to be going to games and having fun, even if the Rock turn in a sub-0.500 season. I'm no bandwagon jumper. I was there in the hot and humind days of 1999 and 2000, the heartbreak of 2001, the Pepsi Centre in Albany in 2002, in spirit through the nail-biter that was 2003 in Rochester, the first round ousting in 2004, the sweetest victory for the greatest coach in 2005 and the first round ouster (the Stinker in 'Chester) this year, and I'll be there next year too.

That is the Rock's greatest strength, and at the same time their greatest weakness. Yes, they have been named the best value in sports for the past 2 years (OK, maybe it's 4 now, this thread is oooooold), but if the league wants to go big-time and full-time for players, it will be done at the expense of fans like us. The front-line workers who are scraping by paycheque to paycheque (OK, I am, I don't know about anyone else) who are digging deep to pay for their season tickets.

If the league does go fulll-time, it will have to go corporate, because in order to fund a full-time league, they will have to bring in full-time league pricing, and the only ones who can afford it will be corporations, or those slightly more well off than others. That means that John and Jane Lunchbuckets like myself, and a few others, will be out in the cold when it comes to this sport and grasping for coverage on TV. Heck, when the Leafs were at the Gardens, I used to go to games all the time, but as soon as NHL salaries went through the roof in the late 80s, it was no longer affordable and I was reduced to scrambling for coverage on CBC and a fledgling TSN. I know it's going to happen eventually.

I know I'll be sitting in a bar in about five years, maybe less, going: "Yeah, I used to have season tickets, but when the league went big, I could no longer afford it, so I spend my money in a bar instead. I tells ya, ticket prices jumped from $225 for my seats to about $1700 almost overnight, and man, I just can't afford that...so instead I spend my money here..." and I know I'll be sad when it happens, but it will be possible because of fans like us. The Lunchbuckets and Weekenders. The ones who laid the groundwork for what is now the NLL (yes, yes, I know Philly and Buffalo were there loooong before we were and are thus more responsible for the success of the league) in the early years of the league pre-NHL-like WHL expansion (see 1976 for more info).

Anyhoo, that's my take...

20. thwingfan

thwingfan Active Member

Same here. Yes, another American who roots for the Jays. :eek: