with doug jamieson coming on, are ther iroquois poised to win WILC and FIL?

Discussion in 'Other Lacrosse' started by dougm, Aug 25, 2017.

1. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

kid is a machine and solves the weak link on the nations lacrosse national team. by the time next worlds roll around, you put doug between the pipes and add austin staats and tehoka nantikoke and seriously, canada might be looking at silver.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  2. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

they can put a starting 10 out there that is every bit as good as Canada.

i dont think they can put a starting 16 out that is that good, but, with it being a single game knockout format, they can totally take it on a good night.

dougm likes this.
  3. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Active Member

For years, I wanted Team Canada split into East and West so there'd at least be suspense about who would win gold. The next world championship actually has me wondering if we're finally going to see new blood win.

dougm correctly pointed to Austin Staats, Doug Jamieson and Tehoka Nantikoke as great prospects. Add in Cody Jamieson, Randy Staats, all four Thompsons, Johnny Powless, Sid Smith, Jeff Shattler, Leo Stourous and a few large, fast and fresh D-Men from the Arrows. I'd argue that this line up goes deeper than the top 10 matching Canada roster wise, providing a solid mix of veteran leadership and young, fast, fresh and hungry players.

Canada will be stacked and the deserved favourite -- they'll have better goaltending, even with Jamieson in the pipes. Jamieson and Goodleaf and Warren Hill(the probable backups) aren't as impressive as any combo of Ward, Vinc, and Bold. And as good as Jamieson is, the transition to the senior ranks can be tough. Otherwise, don't dismiss the Nationals with the usual critique of not having the same roster depth in the lower echelons of the ranks. They couldn't field two spectacular teams like Canada could but the top 15 or 16 roster members are pretty damned impressive.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  4. RockStar

Iroquois top 16 is formidable, sure, but i am giving the nod to Canada in top to bottom team strength.

and as mentioned, in a single game, having the better 16 is nowhere nearly as important as it is in a series, but, the final comes after a busy tourney with condensed schedule. Team depth will count for something.

as for FIL, not sure.......they caught Canada really struggling and fatigued in 2014, and almost made it really scary, but, they failed to capitalize. With field, you have to think in terms of whether the top 22 are equal. I am not certain Iroquois have equal or better depth anywhere except attack and shooting middie.....and this is always true with comparing Canada to USA as well.

5. CrocodileLax

The Nationals have Craig Point, Brendan Bomberry, Adam Bomberry, Seth Oakes, Tom Montour, Brett Bucktooth (if he decides to play) and several promising Jr. A players to call on to round out the bottom. Still not bad. As good as team Canada? If you go by NLL stats no but remember those stats are compiled on teams these players didn't grow up playing with. They're all better when playing with their own community.

But we can't actually make the comparison yet. The Nationals might just have 23 or so athletes ready to win a world championship but their roster choices are already apparent, if you follow Native box lacrosse. Team Canada's line up isn't as clear. Yes, it will be championship calibre, whoever's selected. But without knowing who's actually on the team, it's hard to make a comparison.

I'm simply saying The Nationals have a much larger talent pool to draw from than they are given credit for.

In field, the Nationals are bronze medalists at best though Brendan Bomberry, Cody Jamieson, Tehoka Nanticoke, Seth Oakes and the Thompsons are damned good. The goalies aren't great, their defence is average and they're penalty prone. That said, they could play spoiler if they catch a team on an off night.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  6. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Trivia for thought: Who is the best Native/Iroquois goalie in NLL history?

7. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

ken montour

8. RockStar

Just trying to remember the guys I have seen in somewhat recent memory.

General, Montour, Henhawk, Goodleaf. Best might have been Montour...until badly injured in a terrible collision.

9. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

but derek general will be the player of the year the night the knighthawks parctice squad knocked off gary gait's baltimore thunder when the usa border gaurds blocked canadian players for lack of proper papers.

10. AmericanRockFan

When was this??

11. CrocodileLax

Ken Montour was the best NLL goalie, followed by Mike Thompson.

12. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

13. AmericanRockFan