1. Our Privacy Policy and User Agreement have changed. By using or registering on any portion of this site, you agree to our updated User Agreement and Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement.
    Dismiss Notice

WLA Predictions

Discussion in 'BCLA Forum' started by laxboxgoalie, May 18, 2013.

1. laxboxgoalie

laxboxgoalie New Member

So last night was the opening night of the season, here are my predicitions for the season.

Victoria - With the moves they have made this summer its hard not to see them playing in the Mann Cup this summer. Might not end up being first in the regular season because Vinc might not be here but I don't think they will fall past being in 2nd with Flindell in net. This team has a lot of offensive firepower that I think going to outscore teams until they get Vinc in town.

Langley - Will be interesting to see how they deal with the loss of Ratcliff, can Brandon Goodwin, Shayne Jackson and Alex Turner all step up their games to make up for the loss of Ratcliff. Will see how important Rod Jenson is to them on the bench at the start of the season with his suspension, I wonder how much it will affect him. MacDonald will be the key to them again this season.

Coquitlam - Another team that will have great goaltending with Rose in net all season, they could be in trouble if Dobbie injury is serious and has to miss the season. One of the few teams in the league that has a better group of lefties on offensive the righties.

New West - I just cant see New West missing the playoff 2 years in a row I expect Richards to make sure of that. The thing that will hurt them is how many games can Crowely and Schuss get in. The more these 2 guys play the better off their will be but only play 5 games each could be hurting the teams chemistry on offensive. Be interesting to see them get back to playing faster and transitioning more out of their own end, so many more teams are trying to play this way.

Maple Ridge - After a tough last season I think they will be out to prove to everyone that last season was a fluke, having Dickson in the lineup all season will be a plus as well as having Dalgarno, Pascas and Murphy all on the left side this year. Getting Macintosh and Mallory in the draft also will help out this team a lot. But the biggest move I feel like they made was to get Levis in net a big upgrade from their goalies from last season.

Burnaby - A good young team that is going to try and beat a lot of teams in transition with McFetridge and Salt. I think on offensive they are going to have a problem because they are so dominate right handed and will have very little support on the left side. And I feel like they will suffer a seatback after making the playoffs last season.

Nanaimo - With the moves they have made this offseason, this is the easy team to predict, hard to see them having a good season as they have the least amount of talent out of anyone. They will need huge season from Boychuk and Bremmner to have a chance this year. Sure they are the only ones that believe that they can actual go out and win games this year as no one expects them to.

2. theSloth

theSloth Member

After watching Burnaby play Nanaimo, I'd say those two teams will be just a notch above Maple Ridge. Langley is also missing Iannucci for most of the season, he's back in the MLL. I see them as middle of the pack(ish). Victoria, NW, and Coquitlam, fighting for top dogs.... and Victoria on top.

My 2 cents Canadian. Which technically, doesn't exist anymore. :cool:

3. salmonking

salmonking New Member

Nooch just got released from his MLL team.

New West has lost so much and has really only picked up two really good players in Cornwall and Schuss. It looks like Schuss will be a part time player (MLL) and they won't have Crowley very often. Ilya is living in Denver, and no Tao, Cliff Smith, Rory Smith, Hall, or Hawksbee. How many games will Manning be able to play? I think that it is time for the Bellies to trade away the playing rights for some of these guys and begin to reload, because right now they have nothing after Ilya and Schuss as leftie O guys and are probably near the bottom of the league depth wise.

4. theSloth

theSloth Member

I don't doubt you, but you don't happen to have a link, do you?

5. salmonking

salmonking New Member

Sorry not cut,but added to practice roster. Point streak, MLL, transactions on May 17th. In the MLL you only get paid for the games you play, so he won't be flying in for games unless he is activated.

6. laxboxgoalie

laxboxgoalie New Member

If you hadn't already realized is that New West has already traded away Rory Smith. I think Manning has said he can play the majority of the games this year. I think Hall is untradeable great talent but everyone knows he cant play. Also don't think anyone would want to trade for Cliff as they all know he doesn't want to play in the summer. Hawksbee is a guy that if I am New West I wouldn't be trading as he has to take a year off for Firefighting. I would say trade Ilya but I think doing that could cause problems with his brothers. Tao would be a great guy to trade for New West as they have a lot of rghties on their roster.

7. theSloth

theSloth Member

Gotcha. So, being listed on the practice squad, is more like a formality, I'd assume...? They're also not gonna fly him in for practices, correct?

8. salmonking

salmonking New Member

Practices? They sometimes occur on the day before or the day of the games. Usually no practice, just a shoot around and a meeting.

BTW. Shayne Jackson has played one game for Charlotte this year, scoring once against Hamilton.

9. theSloth

theSloth Member

Well, with Maple Ridge leading Langley after 1.... I'm starting to rethink my original predictions.

:blabla:

10. laxboxgoalie

laxboxgoalie New Member

Still feel that way at the end of the game

11. theSloth

theSloth Member

A little bit. I think I'm gonna have to get used to the idea of seeing something less than the best lacrosse until playoff time.

12. laxboxgoalie

laxboxgoalie New Member

Yup just the way it is playoff and Mann Cup should be great

13. theSloth

theSloth Member

Looks like Gagne noticed a bunch of Coquitlam players with old school cages, tonight, and made 'em all go change 'em.

14. thegreenbastard

thegreenbastard Active Member

From what I've been told, they all were wearing the new cages but it was the chin-cups that were the issue.
    The CLA has allowed players to use different chin-cups and it would appear that they were wearing newer cups but they were adjusted right to the chin- so all the players that were wearing lose ones, when down and tightened them up and returned to the bench moments later.
    if it was illegal cages, their equipment guys needs an award for being able to flip over that many cages in that quick a time.

15. 24MannCups

24MannCups Member

Last Night

Watched game last night, what a snore fest.
    Couple questions?
    - looked like most of the crowd came dressed as seats. Attendance looked like 150-175?
    - What's up with Rose ?
    - Langley had 26 Shots for teh entire game , just seemed odd to me.
    - Who else is Coquitlam missing besides Dobbie as their offence looked enemic?
    - 5-3 games are not going to bring crowds in, what needs to be done to up the scoring ?

16. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

how does summerball afford nll ballers?

17. theSloth

theSloth Member

Sounds more likely.... so you're saying they didn't have the chin cups attached directly to the cage? My son tried that last year, ( When Bantam and below had to change cages ) and he off course, was told to 'fix it.' He got a concussion that first game with the new cage.

Just confirmed, that was the issue.

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2013
  18. laxboxgoalie

laxboxgoalie New Member

So after the game from tonight looks like Coquitlam is underacheiving so far this year did not expect them to be 0-3 at this point.

19. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

Brampton draws a few hundred for an early regular season game.....they ain't paying ringer money out of the gate.

I guess the "have" teams have wealthy benefactors that love to win.

20. theSloth

theSloth Member

Yep, it was the Curtis Dickson show. With, by my count, 10 points last night. Actually, a more entertaining game, than the other local ones I've seen so far. Looks like Rose would have made the difference last night.