WLA Summer ball - you guys don't know how good you have it.

Discussion in 'BCLA Forum' started by roadrunner, Jul 17, 2015.

1. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

I feel that a Toronto team playing good Senior A lacrosse at a nice central locale (Mattamy?) might help get a tiny bit of mainstream "legitimacy" to MSL.

Other than baseball and CFL, the summer is thin on midweek sports events. Might get a bit of coverage by TSN and/or Sportsnet, might get a few inches and an occasional photo in the local daily newsrags.

If I win the lottery, I will find some smart lacrosse people to run the team, and try to bankroll this. Otherwise, would just hope that Dawick moves the summer Rock downtown.

2. Andrew GEA

Andrew GEA Guest

I think they're fine playing in the OHL stadiums it's all an issue of marketing / exposure. They need nice promo vids maybe some YouTube adds to get everyone's attention. A couple local radio spots will go a long way too.

The biggest thing hurting the summer leagues is the stacked teams. Lakers are huge because they have a dynasty but every other team has terrible records. They need to put some NLL restrictions in the league and spread out talent to help the other markets.

3. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

The Lakers get 3k per game and they have a lot of money coming in just through sponsorship deals. That really tilts the MSL money balance one way. I bet 90% of their players get paid whereas many players on the other teams either get paid very little or don't get paid at all. It's amazing that a team like Brampton even exists.

4. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I think it would bring some legitimacy to it as well. I'm a little surprised that a team like the Beaches haven't moved into Mattamy and maybe even moved up to the MSL level.

However, if the NLL barely gets coverage on either TSN or SportsNet (I know it gets some, cause I see it on the ticker occasionally when I'm in Canada), I don't think there's a lot of hope for Senior A summer ball. Here's hoping that changes, though.

I don't see why Dawick would move the Oakville Rock into downtown when he can just have them play at his own facility, but I'd love to see that happen as well. In another thread, I'd even like it if Dawick had the NLL Rock play some pre-season games at Mattamy just to generate some buzz.

I will do the same thing if I win the lottery, but if you win it before me then you better make me the Toronto (Insert Name Here)'s New York state area scout cause that'd look pretty sweet on my resume :D

5. chuckster

Exactly. And it's pretty easy to get to the TRAC from the QEW.

6. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

Beaches does not need more seating than they have at their community rink, and i feel that a move to the Carlton Cashbox might hurt as much as it helps interest. Higher costs, and no free parking for patrons. They are already walking distance from a subway and a GO stop and right on a streetcar corridor.....little to no benefit moving closer to the core.

sadly, they have not gone deep into the playoffs since about 15 years.....which may say a fair bit about the health and depth of the local minor association.

tough to even improve through midget draft because of rules that let the stronger centres to the East protect most of their graduating players, and the arcane rules on releases......maybe lots of good young depth players hoarded for the 'B', 'C'and overage minor rep teams in Durham that might help were they able to be released for tryouts.

7. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Member

Totally agree that the Beaches are better off where they're at.

The Clax team at Mattamy crashed and burned -- there were crowds of 40 people at some games. While I'd personally love to have an MSL team mere blocks from my work, most teams in the GTA struggle at the gate and on the floor, even in the NLL (though one might argue the Rock are returning to legitimate contender status). Zero to no revenue with high rental costs, lack of free parking, marketing costs, staffing costs, etc. would probably put any new team in financial peril out of the gate.

I'd love a Rock preseason game at Mattamy though, particularly this year, as a way to celebrate the glory years of the Rock. Heck, stage a Rock/Knighthawks alumni game at half-time. I've also wondered if a Canada/Iroquois game or a Canada/US game would draw a decent crowd. Aside from one off games like this, I don't think lacrosse would thrive at Mattamy.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  8. Andrew GEA

Andrew GEA Guest

Changing subject a bit , MSL playoffs had two great games , ptbo upset loss to Brooklyn. And rock win against sn in crazy long ot. Non of it available to watch online...

9. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Member

I haven't bothered with summer lacrosse in quite some time (hot arenas, long drives, etc.) but I recall that the WLA was much better at getting games online. JVI sports has done what they can to make MSL games accessible. I wish the league as a whole would do something to get all games online. Yes, it costs money, but if all teams pitched in, maybe there's a way to split costs/revenue. I have a 45 minute drive ahead of me to see the "local" teams (Oakville, Brampton or Brooklin), and more if I want to see the elite teams, which means I'm home far too late to get a decent sleep before work. I'd happily part with a small fee to see the games online.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  10. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Me too. I'd be willing to pay, maybe $20 or so, for some sort of summer MSL/WLA package. Unfortunately, I'm just not sure how much use I'd get out of it since my summer evenings (when I'm home) are usually devoted to watching the Blue Jays, so the summer box lacrosse would probably serve as some sort of white background noise on most nights. But I'd really love to have the option of catching some summer lacrosse action online.

11. chuckster

The Chiefs tweeted:

Six Nations Chiefs‏ @SN_Chiefs 13h13 hours ago
    With our missing cable in the mail and stream box awol tonight's Game 1 v @OakvilleRock will be online after the game asap. Thanks

Andrew GEA likes this.
  12. Rottenrocker

Rottenrocker Member

It's a damn shame that MSL and JVI Sports don't work as closely together like they did before. Really enjoyed their MSL Playoffs/Mann Cup broadcasts last year. Love seeing the action from back East!

Both WLA playoff series this year should make for some intense action on the floor!

13. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Member

I think JVI did everything they could to make it work, but eventually finances got in the way. You'd think that Canada's national summer sport, and a sport played by First Nations athletes, would be eligible for some kind of moolah. At any rate, those broadcasts were good and I wish that the WLA and MSL would team up to get all summer lacrosse games covered on the internet.

There's some outstanding lacrosse being played. I'd love to see it!

14. Rottenrocker

Rottenrocker Member

Game 1 of the MSL finals between the Oakville Rock and Six Nations Chiefs is up!

Enjoy!

Andrew GEA likes this.
  15. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

most basic cable packages carry APTN......that would be a wonderful partnership if it could be made to happen.

a two cameraman/engineer/play by play+colour setup should be low ish production costs for ~2h of quality, First Nations relevant programming.....

16. wacklax

wacklax Member

You are absolutely right on that.

RockStar likes this.
  17. Rottenrocker

Rottenrocker Member

You would think they could but apparently getting a network to show lacrosse in Canada is like turning lead into gold at this point.

Anyhow, the WLA playoffs start tonight. Prediction time!

Series A: Shamrocks in 6.

Series B: Burrards in 6.

Both series feature evenly matched teams so it's hard to predict who will come out on top this year.

18. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Member

I think the internet's the way to go anyway -- lacrosse is never going to be broadcast for more than a game a week on TV. Streaming makes it easy to see everything.

I think those are good predictions, Rottenrocker, though I suspect at least one of those series is going to 7 games.

19. Andrew GEA

Andrew GEA Guest

Shamrocks in 7 is my guess... You'd figure the CBC would broadcast lacrosse on their sports network.... The whole corporation is a waste of money sothey should at least post our national summer sport...

20. wacklax

wacklax Member

Lakers over Vic in seven
    Bellies over Ridge.
    Watched bellies destroy burrards two weeks ago