Women’s Professional Lacrosse League

Discussion in 'Other Lacrosse' started by Vin, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

http://www.womensprofessionallacrosseleague.com/
    29 Meadow Lane
    Pennington, NJ 08534

TEAMS:

Baltimore Brave
    New England Command
    New York Fight
    Philadelphia Fire
    Upstate Pride

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/sports/article_1824fd4c-a257-11e7-a5b2-53fb434b998a.html

Former Penn State star founds pro lacrosse league with a purpose
    Former Penn State women’s lacrosse standout Michele DeJuliis has been busy since graduating in 1997.

In the 20 years since her last game in Happy Valley, the four-time All-American served as team captain for the gold medal-winning United States team at the 2009 World Cup and was elected to the National Lacrosse Hall of Fame in 2013.

While the game has provided DeJuliis with a plethora of personal opportunities and growth, the former Nittany Lion is now reciprocating these opportunities for young women in the form of the Women’s Professional Lacrosse League, a league DeJuliis helped to found, which is set to debut later this week.

The league, currently consisting of five teams located in the northeast United States, rolls out its inaugural showcase exhibition game on Sept. 30 in Sparks Glencoe, Maryland , featuring players from all five teams before officially beginning regular season play in the spring of 2018.

But DeJuliis wants the league’s reach to extend beyond just the sport.

“This is way bigger than lacrosse,” DeJuliis said. “It’s something that I think everyone has a special place in their heart for, where they feel like they can make an impact.”

The mission of the league is to prioritize character development as a means of not just excelling on the field, but more importantly succeeding off it.

DeJuliis and the WPLL partnered with Brave Enterprises, a company founded by Crista Samaras, a former World Cup teammate of DeJuliis, to develop programming that provides young women the confidence to reach the next level of their life and strive for things that they perhaps would not have otherwise.

“We really had the thought of putting together a league where we could make an impact across the country from the grassroots on up,” DeJuliis said. “It includes impacting the professional player as well as the aspiring young athlete. We want to provide programming that will not only help them professionally, but also personally.”

Through a Futures program held at clinics across the country, DeJuliis aims to pair the game of lacrosse with the Brave educational process that will provide women the tools to make an impact on society and become leaders of whatever industry they are involved with.

The owner of a lacrosse club, DeJuliis became distraught at the sight of third and fourth grade girls without the necessary attitude to tackle the world head-on.

“Over the years I’ve noticed a lack of self-confidence in a lot of these girls that is hard to watch,” DeJuliis said. “I wanted to know how could we change and fix that. Then I’m like this league would be amazing, the perfect opportunity for us to make an impact nationwide.

“That every single, young female athlete comes through the WPLL Futures programming feeling a connection, feeling that empowerment, feeling inspired, that is the real goal.”

Furthering a Penn State connection to the league, the WPLL will be using an application service called Payball created by Peter Makover, a 1993 Penn State graduate and former captain of the men’s lacrosse team, which will allow for easy payment of the personnel and players of the WPLL.

As players suit up for the showcase game this Saturday, a handful being Penn State alumni, the true champion that DeJuliis hopes to emerge from the league will be an inspired youth around the country.

“The biggest thing is to continue to strive to get better and better,” DeJuliis said. “Times change, and we need to help young women prepare for the next level and prepare for when they’re in the business world. Ultimately we want to have a mentoring program that whether it’s the medical field or law or finance or coaching, we’re going to have all of these connectors for them.”

2. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

Interesting

3. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Member

I hope this league's a smashing success and makes its way to Toronto.

4. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

That's where I stopped.

5. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

I've always wondered when someone would start a professional league for women. There's some really good talent there and up until now, they stopped playing when they left college. I hope it succeeds.

6. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Such a sexist pig remark that I can hear you oinking and squealing all the way over here.

Truthfully, I don't have the highest of expectations that this league survives long-term based on the lack of success that other lacrosse startup leagues have had, but I wish them the best. Perhaps I'll even check out a game if I'm in one of the 5 markets while a team is at home.

7. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

An exhibition game highlight made Sportcenter's top 10 plays of the day from Sat..

8. Hollywood42

Because they couldn't find a dunk in Friday's WNBA game #equality

9. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

hope this works out somehow.

cannot see myself being a patron......my few experiences watching high level WLax featured non-stop whistles........and non stop confusion about why TF there was a whistle.

10. Hollywood42

They weren't whistles
    It was the oven, cookies were done

11. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

These names are so bad, even the NLL hasn't used them.

dougm likes this.
  12. Hollywood42

Leaked logo for the upstate pride

Attached Files:

swami24 and Wings-4-Life like this.
  13. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

If Toronto gets a team, I imagine that Tory Merrill would be pretty heavily involved.

14. roadrunner

roadrunner Member

Boy I wish I had $ to burn like those owners.

smurf666 likes this.
  15. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

Roadrunner - There's another upstart pro league in Canada.

Looks like it could be even lower budget than ALL, or this WPLL :)

http://www.canadianprolacrosseleague.com/

So far, the only news on the website is a Jan2017 announcement of welcome to the website, and an Oct2017 announcement that the website has been launched (durrh, thanks for that tidbit!)

Anyway, there is an open call for interested owners........but no indication of what the fees are, when the season is played, nor any other standards.......

16. I believe the CPLL is supposed to be a professional field league.

17. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Member

One of the teams is planned for Hamilton. Another in Toronto. Two spots where top level field lacrosse failed miserably scant years ago, despite a cup win in Toronto.

This league already has the promise of raising the Titanic, and welding her back together for another trip across the Atlantic. Happy to be wrong.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    smurf666 likes this.
  18. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Active Member

19. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

That is almost verbatim with what I was feeling whenever I watch NCAA WLax playoffs in May.
    "Too many lines. Too many whistles and for what?"

So, I am happy to support women and this league and, who knows, might even catch a game, but women's field lax, at college level at least, isn't so much boring as annoying. I hope this professional league changes the rules to make the game flow more like the men's game.