World Series of Youth Lacrosse / Team 91 Bandits

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by Vin, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Last night on ESPN2 or some other sports station, I caught the last 15 minutes or so of the World Series of Youth Lacrosse. This was the championship and Jake Steinfeld presented the final trophy.
    One team was the Long Island Express and the other team was the Team 91 Bandits which won with the last goal scored by them with seconds left by some kid from Massapequa Long Island who went to Plainedge High School so this kid grew up very close to me even though I went to MHS. Apparently, Team 91 Bandits is a Long Island team also.

Anyway, these "Team 91 Bandits" were using the Buffalo Bandits logo albeit slightly modified with the Buffalo being replaced by Team 91. I can't help but wonder if there was a copyright infringement. I don't see the Buffalo Bandits or the NLL as sponsors of this event.
    http://worldseriesofyouthlacrosse.com/about/wsyl-sponsors/
    http://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/team-91-bandits-express-set-all-long-island-final-at-world-series-of-youth-lacrosse/52716

The copying of the logo is so blatant that the Buffalo Bandits must know about this and approve/gave permission.

Anybody know anything about this?

2. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about it, but this sort of thing seems to be common in youth tournaments.

MILLwasbetter likes this.
  3. MILLwasbetter

MILLwasbetter Active Member

This is such a July in a winter league post lol

It just says BANDITS in orange generic block font. I don't think the word Bandits is a copyright infringement.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    fandit likes this.
  4. MILLwasbetter

That said, I wish our Bandits had those jerseys instead of what they do wear.

5. AmericanRockFan

I say sue the little munchkins for all that they're worth!

6. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

No, it you watched closely including at the coaches, it's obviously a Buffalo Bandits logo. Here's a few years ago albeit for a box team...

[​IMG]

7. MILLwasbetter

There is no video in the link you posted, Vin. Just a picture of kids in white jerseys with orange block font letter chasing a loose ball. And believe me, I studied it closely before I posted something that I obviously missed. the photo you posted here is clearly unmistakable.

8. MILLwasbetter

This is all I see in that link.

Attached Files:

9. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Buffalo must have approved. Anybody know the Bandits front office?

10. MILLwasbetter

It's a youth lacrosse tournament. I highly doubt anyone would care.

11. fandit

fandit Active Member

Yep. It is!
    But here is there "official" website......http://boys.team91lacrosse.com/ if anyone cares enough to contact them..........

12. MILLwasbetter

lol C'mon, are we that bored and miserable to go out of our way to do research and tattle tale on a youth lacrosse program, which is growing the game and most likely paying tribute to the 91 bandits, that they are using the bandits logo? If that's the case, there are about 12,000 little league baseball teams using the Yankees logo. That will keep you busy until the season starts.:rolleyes:

BestSeatinHouse likes this.
  13. AmericanRockFan

I hope PSE has already sent them a cease and desist letter!

MILLwasbetter likes this.
  14. MILLwasbetter

I can see it now... "Yeah yeah I know about the whole McCoy thing, but did you see this youth lacrosse program is using our Bandits logo?!?! Where do they get off? I want a team on this immediately! We can't have this! It won't stand! I wont let these hooligans, these, thieves misrepresent our oh so prestigious NLL franchise in front of half the players' family members in attendance! - Terry Pegula, Probably.

15. MILLwasbetter

Guys... looks like we have another group of a-holes. Somebody needs to do something, this is getting out of hand.

Attached Files:

• 11.jpg
      11.jpg
      File size:
      73.7 KB
      Views: