Your Favorite Time Period in the NLL

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by AmericanRockFan, Jul 18, 2018.

1. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Simply put, when was your favorite time to be a fan of the NLL?

Even though I do still enjoy the NLL product, and I love the access we have to watching games online that lacked for the first couple decades of the league, I'd have to say that if I could get in an NLL time machine I'd go back to sometime between 2001-2005ish. I say that because 1) The Rock were a dynasty :p, and 2) Probably because the league was still pretty new to me, games seemed like a bigger deal (at least in Toronto and Rochester), and I felt like the league was on the upswing.

How about you?

2. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

1999-2006.

Kloepfer and those idiots ruined it for me - it was no longer fun to cheer for the home team, and only half as much fun to watch good teams beat the Rock like a rented mule.

I got a little excited again in 2010-2011, but, the magic was half gone. It's been mixed at best since then, and many of the years, I feel like all I am paying for is to watch good teams torch goalies who suck the big skin banana :)

MILLwasbetter likes this.
  3. AmericanRockFan

For me, I'd say 2009 was definitely the all-time low for me. Then Dawick bought the Rock, traded back for Doyle, and games have been available to watch online for the most part over the past 9 years. Those trio of events very well might have saved my interest in the sport.

4. unspoken

unspoken Member

The last 3 years since I've actually had a team in my city to follow and watch in person.

5. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

MILL. 89 to 95. Wings almost always winning at home, and 4 titles. Rock em sock em Robots and hard hitting, constant action play. Favorite moment - 95 OT title win. 2nd most thrilling game of any sport that I have ever attended. (#1, game 6 of the 1987 Stanley Cup finals.)

NLL. 98 to 2002. A new era for the league and us, as the lil Swami started coming to games at age 2. This is when we did the bulk of our traveling to away games. Favorite moment..was not in a stadium. It was going to the Philly airport with several hundred Wings fans to greet the team after the 2001 title.

6. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

2002-2005
    The beginning of the end in Philadelphia
    Hanging on to the glory days with aging old timers an average crowd of 14-16k in 03-04
    Loud and boisterous
    Hooters girls
    Ah I miss my high school days

2008 was fun because the wings went 7-1 at home only to lose their last home game in front of 17,240

7. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

MILL 1992-1996
    NLL around 2008

But I also like the NLL now. The indoor winter game has changed since the early days but it's still a beautiful game.

8. RockStar

What I wish they'd go back to from the "old" days:

-4x4'6" nets.

-off ball x checking,

-If games are not on commercial TV, scrap the media timeouts altogether. I mean, most of these are just a bullshtt self-produced subscription based web feed anyway....just give us sidebar ads or something, but, stop killing the flow of the sport for the live fans that still drive revenues.
    Or, if you can't see to this, at least cut 'em in half.....one break per period, first dead ball after 8 minutes

-End the war on fighting. I mean, you don't have to do anything to promote fighting, but, you don't have to forcibly stop two willing combatants either.

-Stop hiding from the fact that this is arguably the roughest/toughest/ugliest pro team sport in North America. Embrace that. Promote it. It makes it different from all the other fringe sports. The only time a lacrosse video goes viral is when someone gets decapitated by a huge hit, or there's a brawl. Promise the viewing public that this happens from time to time, and, a select percentage of sports fans will be more motivated to watch......because it might happen.

You take out the really rough stuff and hide whatever is left, all you'll get is that the same people that don't watch lacrosse now because it's too rough and ugly will still not watch it.

9. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

I enjoyed being an Attack fan for that brief time. For me, the NLL was always love at first sight (which was an advertisement on the side of a CDTA bus in 1999 or 2000).

However, from 2006-2008, I worked at Moog in East Aurora NY outside of Buffalo. I loved working there in a lab for F-35 actuator development. In the lab, I'd have animated discussions about the Bandits and the league, make pocket schedules with BUF, ROC, and TOR games and hand them out, and cut-out all Buffalo News Bandits articles to post on the wall for my buddies to read. My passion was intense enough to bring in additional fans including making them STHers.

Being out there, for me, that was like being the only teenage boy in a sorority filled with libidinous co-eds. I would have gone to every single BUF, ROC, and TOR game if I could have.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  10. AmericanRockFan

Or at least just have 1 tv timeout per quarter instead of 2. I'm all in favor of the players having a mini 2-3 minute breather during each quarter so players aren't gassing too fast.

11. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

I think every team has a radio broadcast so they still need the breaks for radio advertising.

12. AmericanRockFan

I don't believe the Rock do, and I don't think they have had one for several years now unfortunately.

13. RockStar

rock have not since 2005 or so.

14. MILLwasbetter

MILLwasbetter Well-Known Member

Whole lot of awesome posts here.
    I enjoyed the league most when it was full contact. They don't need to wear pads now, Basketball might be more violent now. Go back to letting these guys beat the snot out of each other, open field hits, fighting, off the ball cross checking is WHY my dad loved this game. He couldn't believe cross checking was allowed and he didn't miss a game for almost 20 years until recently when he just became so bored with the league.

I would also go back to a time when the league was run and gun, like hockey it was shifts and full rink back and forth, guys played 2 ways. Now the NLL is win the faceoff, hold the ball, offense jogs out, sets up, shoots and scores or possession changes, in which case they jog off the field and the defense jogs on, team with the ball has their defense jog off as their offense trots on, they hold the ball and either score or repeat the whole thing over.

Bring back single game champion's cup.
    All in all, I wish the league would accept and glorify the fact that it is what it is... a glorified beer league. So for me it would be the mid 90s- 02. If they captured that instead of trying to do what they're doing, I think there would be more butts in seats, and a better product on the floor.

Pretty much everything in Rockstar's 2nd post.

RockStar likes this.
  15. MILLwasbetter

MILLwasbetter Well-Known Member

I am still thinking about this topic, my handle is MILLwasbetter not because I got to live through that era, I was 8 when the Bandits won in 96, I remember going to the cup celebration and that's really it. I was too young and not allowed to go to games back then. It was my parents' night out with their friends to go drink and have fun. Back then I went to Sabre games with my parents as they were easily affordable, and Blizzard and Stampede games as well. But Bandit games, oh, Bandit games were for grown ups. I had to wait until I was older for Bandit games, which made it special to me. That was the sport everyone cared about and didn't want to have kids there. It was violent, loud, affordable and fun, and they wanted to cut loose and enjoy it. I remember the first time I did get to go to the Aud for a Bandits game, and it was louder than anything I had experienced there, and it was intense. The family friendly stuff of today was non existent. It was awesome. Especially when you compare it to today.

I use this handle because of the stories my dad told me about how every game was a party, not the way it is now where people want attention to get on the score board, but it was adults having fun, watching two teams beat the crap out of each other. Running up and down the floor, fast paced hard hitting action. It was high scoring but the goalies also made amazing reaction saves, now they stand there because the pads are so big. Penalties were called as a last resort and a simple change of possession was granted for most calls to keep the game pace moving.

That is the period I would love to see, and which I think I am most fond of, despite not really getting to experience it outside of youtube videos.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  16. AmericanRockFan

I agree with MILLwasbetter in that I wish the atmosphere at games was still for the grown ups primarily. I miss the sort of underground days of the UFC sort of atmosphere where the target audience was the 18-34 demo, and games were one big party. It’s not that I don’t understand catering to families and such, I just wish I could’ve experienced the more “adult” days of the NLL as an adult. The parties associated with the NLL nowadays are just too tame, if they even exist anymore.

17. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

Same. :(

18. k-hawksfan33

k-hawksfan33 Well-Known Member

Started going to games in 2010 when I was in middle school, but I had a friend who had been going to games since the early 2000's with his dad. Some of the stories I've heard from those years make me wish I could've been a part of Knighthawks Knation back then. Even in 2010, it felt much rowdier than it does now. I still remember my first game ever was the 2010 home opener vs Buffalo. They used to play those videos on the jumbotron making fun of Bandits fans and there was almost always scuffles in the crowd between Hawks fans and Banditland. Really wish the league could somehow get that atmosphere back.

19. RockyMaivia

RockyMaivia Active Member

AS A LITTLE TYKE GROWING UP IN ARDMORE, NOTHING BEAT TRIPS TO THE SPECTRUM TO SEE THE WINGS IN THE LATE 80s AND EARLY 90s.

DAVE EVANS BEHIND THE BENCH. JOHN TUCKER MAKING THE PASSES AND BRAD KOTZ BURYING THE BISCUIT IN THE BASKET.

W. I. N. G. S. WINGS.

20. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

• John Tucker underhand bullets were unstoppable. My first favorite player.
    Funny how I hit something that made that line a "bullet" point.